Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2003 1:25:08 PM EDT
Just wondering what the opinion on these two kit companies was.  I have seen mixed posts on Model 1 and not much on Sherluk.  What I am wonder is, if you were getting a 20" A2 post ban kit to install on an Olympic lower, which would you chose.  Keeping in mind that price is always an issue, quality is important too.

Thanks,
ka
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 6:24:04 PM EDT
[#1]
just built Model 1 Standard 20" on an Eagle Arms lower.  Fit & finish are great.  Functioning 100% and it drives tacks.

No experience with anything else.
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 7:28:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/22/2003 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually have not flown the trusty King Air in several years but since (a) it fits in with my initials, and (b)I'd have to change all of my user names and passwords, I decided to keep it.  I've since moved on to a Bombardier product for a large(but un-named) regional airline.  Now I'm just waiting to become an armed pilot.  

Anyway, your observations are noted re: Model 1.  Thanks

ka
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I just finished a kit from model 1 about 2 days ago. Absolutely no problems. I received the kit in 5 business days, all parts were there and it fit my stripped lower like a glove (I used an ASA lower that I got a really good deal on). The finish on the upper matched my lower exactly. I used the diagrams on this site to build the lower. Took it to the range and it shoots really well. I used some different types of ammo to see how much of a difference the ammo makes. It makes a big difference. It's OK to shoot cheap ammo, as long as you shoot the right cheap ammo. This was my first AR-15. I now believe that building your own, is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just finished a kit from model 1 about 2 days ago. Absolutely no problems. I received the kit in 5 business days, all parts were there and it fit my stripped lower like a glove (I used an ASA lower that I got a really good deal on). The finish on the upper matched my lower exactly. I used the diagrams on this site to build the lower. Took it to the range and it shoots really well. I used some different types of ammo to see how much of a difference the ammo makes. It makes a big difference. It's OK to shoot cheap ammo, as long as you shoot the right cheap ammo. This was my first AR-15. I now believe that building your own, is the only way to go.
View Quote

OK, which cheap ammo is the right cheap ammo?  Just curious since my Mod 1 kit is in the pipeline.  I'll be putting it on an old pre-ban Oly that didn't pass muster here in NJ.  Now that it will be a post configured, non AR 15 marked clone, I can bring my baby home.  And then I'm gonna shoot the living $hit outta it.

cheers.
ka
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#6]
RJ driver, spend a few extra bucks and buy a kit from JT distributing.  Happy landings.
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 10:44:22 PM EDT
[#7]
buy it form J&T if you the time
Like 6-8 weeks, thay have been rely
slow for me in the past
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 12:05:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I ordered my J&T kit on a Tuesday, it shipped on Friday, and I received it the following Tuesday.

[url=http://www.burnerblog.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=12]Here are pictures[/url] of my J&T project from last week!

Also, the 20" AR on the bottom in the picture below is my J&T kit.

[img]http://www.burnerblog.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_AR15A4-2%20001.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 4:52:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Edge,
That 20" looks GREAT. I considered the J&T kit but when I called them, they could not guarentee shipping...said that they were running low on some components.  Being the impatient soul that I am, I went with my second choice.  If I had gotten the 5 business day response, Who knows.
I'll post some pics when I'm done.

ka
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 5:34:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I see Sherluk at gun shows as well as Model 1.

Sherluk people are great - helpful, polite and have nice stuff.  Model 1 people are arrogant, have ZERO respect and sell non spec parts.  They cost less and apparently know what their stuff is worth.

Just my opinion, you understand.

View Quote

Mine as well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 6:52:50 AM EDT
[#11]
This isn't intended as a flame or business bashing, just a little personal experience. So here goes.

I've also seen the Model 1 people at the gun shows. Actually, a couple of them look like the same guys from the now defunked Nesard.

Remember them from the 80's, always had complete kits with prices that seemed to good to be true. Once in a while, if you catch them at a show and inspect each part, you could/can find decent quality parts. Most of their stuff always struck me as either rejects or badly refinished used parts. I guess it's pretty much the luck of the draw with companies like this.

These low tier parts guns are what I believe, put a bad taste in many peoples mouths and gave civilian AR-15's a reputation as a jamming POS. Conversly, this is also why many people would only buy Colt's during this period. Remember, this was before other quality companies like Bushmaster and Armalite aggressively came on the scene. Olympic Arms/SGW made damn fine guns also, and had quality parts kits and barrels on par with Bushmaster(Quality Parts).

Sendra and Olympic were also the few places you could buy a stripped lower on which to build. Many of these lowers, although of quality were built into complete rifles using parts of dubious origin. These were the problem guns. I feel this is what placed a stigma onto the quality of Olympic as most look at who made the reciever of the POS in question, and forget about the quality of parts used to assemble it.  

The biggest problem with most of these low tier kit guns was the low quality barrels in them. Most had chambers that were either slightly oversized in diameter or had tool marks/rings in them that caused the brass to stick. At least they were easy to identify though. Instead of useing taper pins to attach the front sight assembly, they were so cheap, that they used roll pins.

I still hate to break it to someone who brings me their newly found pre-ban pride and joy, or dug their old gun with a history of funcional problems out of the safe for me to fix. I see one of these barrels and have to break it to them nicely that they need to dump upwards of $200.00 into a quality barrel to fix it.

Wpns Man  
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 11:40:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Hellow everybody! This is my first reply.
I have recently built 2 Sherluk kits, and both went to grther great and have been running fine. Quality was very good and the folks are real nice to deal with. They also have a lot more stuff and options than whats on their web sight. good luck
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top