Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2003 2:58:22 AM EDT
This weekend, a friend with little machining experience, will be finishing his own AR15 lower from a forging at my shop. We will be doing a run through check of my book and I hope to be publishing it soon.
The target audience for this book are those who have some machining experience and access to a Bridgeport type milling machine.
I detail machining the Zero % AR15 lower forging, in ten setups, into a mil-spec firearm component.
Some difficult features are even covered with alternate methods, such as the mag well and the buffer tube thread.
We have a lot going on right now at Ray-Vin, but we hope to be in print within the next six to eight weeks.

Regards, Ray

Link Posted: 1/16/2003 3:48:32 AM EDT
[#1]
That's good news, sounds like an interesting read, please contact me a "[email protected]" when publication is done as I would like to buy a copy.

Sounds like it might even be useful to those of us who have done 80% lower builds too, and definately something to have in ones library.

BTT, for others,
Mike
Link Posted: 1/16/2003 4:43:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, please post here when it's done!  I'm definitely interested in a copy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2003 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Ditto & BTT
Link Posted: 1/19/2003 10:53:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, our house guest was Brent Allen and he is on his way back to Georgia at this time. On the passenger seat is his new AR lower.
[img]http://www.mindspring.com/~iballen/dixie.jpg[/img]
We had a great time cutting away all the metal that didn't look like a gun part and Brent has a good feel for macinery and did about 85% of the work.
We discovered a couple of small errors in the book and I have made the corrections. His lower turned out great and I know he can't wait to build it up and flash it around the range![beer]
Link Posted: 1/19/2003 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Well, our house guest was Brent Allen and he is on his way back to Georgia at this time. On the passenger seat is his new AR lower.
View Quote

Interesting photo. Is that the lower? What did you use to do the logo/numbers???

(And why a number???)
Link Posted: 1/19/2003 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Postino,
Yes, that is the lower. We use a Gorton panto-mill to engrave. I like serial numbers. Don't you? Makes it look official! I recomend everyone use one. Every try to explain to Barney why you have a weapon without a serial number? The BATF recomends you mark your receiver so that it can be returned if lost or stolen. The number helps.
Regards, Ray
Link Posted: 1/19/2003 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I like serial numbers. Don't you?
View Quote

Yes indeed. But why not "RayVin0001" or somesuch???

If Barney catches Beagleboy 27625 with a all-numerical, he's much more likely to just let it go...It even looks like a production job...

But if it says "RayVin0001", and Beagleboy 27625 doesn't have a Ray-Vin card, receipt, or letter on him, Barney might just give it a check thru Criminal records...(He might even remember it months later; a number he might not)...

Just my $.02...

It looks good. I like it!

Edit: BTW - My little story assumes that Officer Barney is inspecting a thief's (or fence's) weapon, not the original/legal owner...(Remember the Beagleboys, from Scrooge McDuck?)...

Sorry for any confusion...(Although this may confuse even more)...

But I *like* that engraving...Sure wish I had a pantograph mill...

Edit #2: I'll be looking for that book myself. I sold my Bridgeport and South Bend, but I have a Chinese combo 3in1 now that should do the job...
Link Posted: 1/20/2003 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a great time working with Ray cutting the receiver!  As Ray mentioned, I had just about zero experience in a machine shop.  We spent two full days on the project.  Ray was an excellent instructor - we finished the project in the time I had available, and I left with all my fingers still intact!
The number on the lower is my NRA Life Membership number.  Now when I have to fill out SR-1 cards at matches, I can just look at my rifle for my NRA number.  I agree with Ray - it is better to have a number on it that looks "official" instead of trying to explain to Barney that I "made" it, which could open another can of worms.
We took a bunch of photos as the project progressed.  I will see if I can get them posted on the web in the near future.  Ray's book should be very good.  The text, photos and checklists for each chapter were easy to follow and understand.  Ray won't put his name on anything unless it is first class!  I can't wait to see the published copy!
Link Posted: 1/20/2003 4:34:26 PM EDT
[#9]
This looks like a great source of information.  If you are making a list of people to notify when you book is available, I would like to be on it.  Thanks.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 1/22/2003 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Put me down for a copy.... I need all the info I can get before I start my 0%er.  Lemme know when you're ready to ship the book out.  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/22/2003 3:12:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Ray, the pic of the "Dixie" lower is great.  I like the engraving.  How did you do the anodizing... in house, or farmed out?

Great work!

Link Posted: 1/23/2003 2:15:55 AM EDT
[#12]
5 Bears,
Anodizing is easier than I thought. All you need is a battery charger and some battery acid. The black dye is the expensive part.
http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html
All you need to know can be found at the above site.
Regards, Ray
Link Posted: 1/24/2003 11:22:17 AM EDT
[#13]
count me in for a copy of your book Iam interested!

[url]http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html[/url]
Link Posted: 1/24/2003 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/24/2003 11:43:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I will buy a copy as well!!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2003 4:37:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Please put me on the list.  I would like one of your books!

I like the "Made in Dixie" etching!

Thanks,
Tim
Link Posted: 2/7/2003 3:34:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top