Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2003 7:01:25 PM EDT
At age 42 I'm the proud father of a 30 something ounce AR-15 lower receiver. I bought the castings from the TANNERY SHOP, the OSI jig from www.savvysurvivor.com, and the bits and taps from www.mscdirect.com. The T6 aluminum lower was $80, the "super" jig was $275 - all total the tools and jig ran about $430.

It took about 6-8 hours of labor to do the first and a bit less to do the second one while on my vacation. I've never had any training at all (and it shows) and managed to finish this without screwing them up too bad.

Mistakes made on the first one include taking a bit too much off on the left side of the receiver's upper flat surface and not getting the rear detent pin's hole done straight. I tried to eyeball it with a hand drill as the rig wouldn't fit inside my drill press. For the second lower I figured out how to rotate the drill press head around 90 degrees so I could stack it on some 2x4's.

Next trip back east I might try to finish the lower and have them laser engraved but they look kind of cool all silver and naked. Turned some heads at a Charlotte range with the things .

More step-by-step pictures are here:
photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Default.asp?sView=T&iGalleryUnq=369&
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I like them silver.

Looks great, Paul.

Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Sweet!
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Eghad Paul...whatta hunny. Good work man...damn good work. Your upper to lower fit looks to be DEAD ON...Bud
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#5]
How did you get the lower extension tube to stay on without any threads?

Bob
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How did you get the lower extension tube to stay on without any threads?

Bob
View Quote

The OSI jig's primary function is to assist you tapping that huge hole. The aft end of the jig is treaded to accept the 1 3/16" tap. Drilling the hole though the threaded end is a bit nerve racking but my jig is not much for wear. Once the 1 1/8" hole is drilled out the tap goes though easy enough.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=4195[/img]
Link Posted: 1/11/2003 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#7]
That look's like it might be rewarding work. I'll bet it was fun. Good job.
Link Posted: 1/12/2003 6:02:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Paul -

*Outstanding* job!!!  [:D]

Great looking weapon, and excellent documentation!!!

I do have a few questions/observations...(you knew this was coming, right?)... [;)]

- No selector stop teats on that/those castings??? (The two Tannery castings I just inspected did have them)

- Is the lower stock/buffer "locator" hole cast-in??? (Again, the two I inspected did not have them cast in)

- The hole in the grip tang looks off-center...Was there a problem getting the grip to fit???

And that new OSI jig looks like I may just have to have one...
Link Posted: 1/12/2003 6:57:50 AM EDT
[#9]
- No selector stop teats on that/those castings??? (The two Tannery castings I just inspected did have them)
View Quote

Nope the safety selector does stop only due to the detent pin entering the channel cut into the selelctor.

- Is the lower stock/buffer "locator" hole cast-in??? (Again, the two I inspected did not have them cast in)
View Quote

My Tannery Shop lowers had that hole cast in place under the receiver extension location.

- The hole in the grip tang looks off-center...Was there a problem getting the grip to fit???
View Quote

Yes and no, if you'll notice in the finished photo there is about a 1/8" gap where the top of the grip is not hitting the receiver where the front part is. The hole is centered but just a tad bit too far forward. I might shave off 1/8" inch worth of plastic from the front of that area of the pistol grip to allow it to come up a bit more. Next time I might just measure down, center punch and do the angle myself - I bought a nice vice that rotates to an angle and locks in place.

I was in a hurry as it was Christmas vacation at my parents house, I had a bunch of ammo to shoot up, and still had to find time to do the family things [:)].
Link Posted: 1/12/2003 7:05:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How did you get the the back of the receiver flat and cut down the right distance to get the correct total length? Does the buffer hit the retainer pin with the hole drilled that far back or is the carrier pushing the buffer off the pin when you close it like it should? I have not been able to figure out how to get these things done just using hand tools and a drill press. Any help would be appreciated.
View Quote

The carrier sits up against the buffer.

I measured from the rear take down pin to the back end of the receiver and took it down with a belt sander a bit at a time. The rear of the receiver is at a right angle to the top flat area. The buffer retainer pin's location was indexed off the front pivot pin's location 6.777". The 6 degree angle was done by eye as I didn't have my fancy rotating vice yet.

I had a known good Bushmaster lower that I disassembled as needed to take measurements when in doubt.
Link Posted: 1/12/2003 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Paul -

Couple more Q's for you, if you would...

Does the OSI jig have provision for drilling the lower side holes from each side? You didn't drill all the way through from one side, did you?

Does the OSI jig have provision for drilling and then reaming the side holes, or just drilling???

I'm impressed...
Link Posted: 1/12/2003 12:40:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Postino,

Don't know if you seen this site, it is Dropdbombnows place.  It is the definitive site on Tannery Castings/OSI igs, bar none.  

He developed a technique using transfer punches, and starter bits and undersize bits to drill in the jig, and then use reamers to final finish the holes.

Paul, what part of the Tarheel State are you in?  I'm out here down east in Wilson.

Link Posted: 1/12/2003 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Does the OSI jig have provision for drilling the lower side holes from each side? You didn't drill all the way through from one side, did you?
View Quote

Yes - there are holes on both sides and I did drill all the way though so as to have both holes lined up - the wear on the jig is microscopic. I lubed the interior of the jig's holes before starting. Aluminum cuts like butter with the high quality Ti bits supplied with the kit - each side took only a few seconds of effort.

Does the OSI jig have provision for drilling and then reaming the side holes, or just drilling???
View Quote

I suppose that you could use the drill press to just cut into the lower by a little bit and then take the casting out and finish without the jig.

I'm impressed...
View Quote

You're too easy - nearly any fool can do these things with a bit of care. [:D]

I look at it this way - the cost of the tools and time makes these two lowers cost a few hundred dollars each. You're not going to save money until you've made dozens and dozens of these things which is insane. I've got half a dozen AR's already so it's not like I needed numbers seven and eight ... it's just that these are mine - made with my own hands.

I picked the name "Genesis" as this was my opening chapter, this was the change from me as a buyer of firearms to a maker of one, and the band Genesis is my favorite.

There will be more made in the future, I'm taking a week's vacation again in the spring and possibly another one in the fall if I don't go to Thailand instead.
Link Posted: 1/12/2003 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#14]
My folks live in the Monroe/Pineville area of southern Charlotte not too far from the Carolina Place mega-mall.

I'm stationed in Riverside County of california so no toys are allowed at home.
Link Posted: 1/12/2003 4:24:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 1/13/2003 5:47:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I just might have to try that.
Link Posted: 1/13/2003 6:03:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Postino,

Don't know if you seen this site, it is Dropdbombnows place.  It is the definitive site on Tannery Castings/OSI igs, bar none.  

He developed a technique using transfer punches, and starter bits and undersize bits to drill in the jig, and then use reamers to final finish the holes.
View Quote

Got a link to his site??
Link Posted: 1/13/2003 6:36:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Got a link to his site??
View Quote

[URL=http://quartz2.cyberstation.net/~dwpaul/bs-home.htm]BUILDERS SQUAD
[/URL]

Nice job Paul.
Link Posted: 1/13/2003 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Yeah, looks pretty good.  I guess that leaving it "in the white" is a good way to show off your skill.  The rest of use paint them with Black epoxy to cover up the JB weld...
Link Posted: 1/13/2003 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Please allow me to ask a stupid question. Why does one finish an 80% receiver ? Is it just a fun project, a sense of satisfaction etc. Or is there something I am missing. It looked like a lot of fun to me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2003 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Please allow me to ask a stupid question. Why does one finish an 80% receiver ? Is it just a fun project, a sense of satisfaction etc. Or is there something I am missing. It looked like a lot of fun to me.
View Quote

There is a big sense of satisfaction on building your own. Like buliding your own radio as a ham operator or your own airplane as a hobby flyer. The fun part was putting the thing together and having it actually work! The skills learned are very valuable too in today's society.

There is a second factor that the rifle is not on the government books and that is just priceless.
Link Posted: 1/13/2003 4:33:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
... There is a second factor that the rifle is not on the government books and that is just priceless.
View Quote

... So if this is the case, I'm guessing you completed the machining and assembly before 9/94 right? [img]http://www.gifs.net/animate/winkingeyesdv.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 1/13/2003 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
... So if this is the case, I'm guessing you completed the machining and assembly before 9/94 right? [url]http://www.gifs.net/animate/winkingeyesdv.gif[/url]

View Quote

Odd, since Tanneryshop's castings weren't even available then.
Link Posted: 1/13/2003 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#24]
[url=www.chesapeake.net/~mcfadden/bigtoys/law/1.jpg]BATF Letter, pt1[/url]
[url=www.chesapeake.net/~mcfadden/bigtoys/law/2.jpg]BATF Letter, pt2[/url]
[url=www.chesapeake.net/~mcfadden/bigtoys/law/3.jpg]BATF Letter, pt3[/url]
just because I know someone's gonna ask.[:D]
Link Posted: 1/14/2003 6:01:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
... So if this is the case, I'm guessing you completed the machining and assembly before 9/94 right? [url]http://www.gifs.net/animate/winkingeyesdv.gif[/url]

View Quote

Odd, since Tanneryshop's castings weren't even available then.
View Quote

... Maybe not Tanneryshop, but I've seen unfinished forged and cast lowers around for years. Even well before 9/94. So how are those homebuilds handled that were made and assembled prior to that date?
Link Posted: 1/14/2003 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#26]
I am sure the real advantage that was being refered to was NOT that it could be assembled as a Pre-Ban but instead this would be a rifle that never existed....

Well, until he posted the information here and the NSA, ATF, and FBI have stored this information on some computer... somewhere!

Lets face it, if you have something you don't want big brother to know about... you can't share!  In our post 9/11 society I am guessing that all of us "gun nuts" and the places we visit are being monitored!

I have ARs and I am planning to build my own 80% lower quite soon.  Just the same, the reason for doing it is the challange and to learn something new.  To build just because you are afraid someone will come to take your guns... well that requires that you just don't talk about it!
Link Posted: 1/14/2003 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Damned good job! Keep it up brother.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top