BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/24/2006 12:08:10 PM EDT
Hi,  Would like some feedbacks, it looks like their M3 but in a all alloy housing with led light.   Thanks
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:19:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a chance to fingerbang one last week at the AUSA show in Ft. Lauderdale and I was impressed.

There's a new clamping mounting mechanism and the LED light seems brighter than a SF X200A.

BTW, the housing is aluminum and guess who got the first 200 units?

Botach! That's right.

I'll be adding one to the ever growing collection of pistol mounted weapons lights.
This one will reside permanently on my G19. I think the Rep told me the MSRP is $149+/-

IT M3
IT M6
SF X200A

and the TLR.

Man, I need a few more pistols.

HS1
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi HS1,  Thanks for your reply.  Does it seems on par with SFX200B in term of brightness?  Also is it made in USA?   Thanks again
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:30:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:10:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
There's a new clamping mounting mechanism and the LED light seems brighter than a SF X200A.

BTW, the housing is aluminum and guess who got the first 200 units?

Botach! That's right.

Man, I need a few more pistols.

HS1

It looks like the same clamp screw used for their QD light mount, should be no problems there.  I'm assuming the output is on par with other 3 watt LED's, and recent Streamlights have thrown nicely and had good spill while producing a nice "pure" white light.  

Guess whose TLR1 was already shipped today, tracking number and all!  I saw a neat 9mm CZ-75 "PO-1"(?) model at Academy that looked interesting last week.  Had a NSN on the side, not sure why.  Maybe when the TLR1 arrives, I'll take it up there and see what the combo looks/feels like.

Paladin
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I say these at Shot and didn't care for them to much. I believe that the locking mechanism requires a tool to install and un-install (no joy to me).

C4

The light can be removed from the pistol by loosening the locking mechanism and rocking the unit off the rail. The locking mechanism itself will hold the light to the pistol even when loose. It was pretty easy to tighten the locking nut with enough force to firmly hold the unit in place on the rail.

This was supposedly designed to increase the speed of mounting and dismounting the light from the pistol. I have never had a problem with removing the light from the rail with the original type dual lockbars. I actually like the M3/6 & X200 mounts. Ofcourse I didn't test it at the range with live fire, but the lock itself deserved some more play time before I form a concrete conclusion.

I'll give it a few months before I buy one. That should be enough time for any bugs to show up.

HS1
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:41:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I just bought one....  $99 bucks + $9.95 shiping from TheFireStore.com

(For me, Botach was $109.95 + tax)

Taking a chance without even seeing it in person yet.  From what I've heard it seems good, and it's half the price of an X200.  Worth a shot.

"The rail grip clamp system securely attaches/detaches quickly and safely with no tools and without putting your hand in front of the muzzle."
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Hi JB,  Can you tell me how bright is it & is it made in USA?  Thanks
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:00:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Details say it's running at 80 lumens on fresh batteries. I think that must be a pretty good LED, since my Surefire KL3 head chimes in at only 19 lumens, and my KL5 is at a whopping 65, both on fresh batteries. For a 3W LED to put out 80, I'd say it's plenty bright.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:55:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I will be getting one - claim of 2.5 hours at 80 lumens for 100$ is impressive.

Personally, never met a QD mount I liked, so I actually like teh mounting system as pictured and described.

Plus I need a gas mask from botach, so will probably go through there.....
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:19:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Details say it's running at 80 lumens on fresh batteries. I think that must be a pretty good LED, since my Surefire KL3 head chimes in at only 19 lumens, and my KL5 is at a whopping 65, both on fresh batteries. For a 3W LED to put out 80, I'd say it's plenty bright.

Surefire drove their KL-3 head at a very low level, and the KL-5 heads are not a state of the art light anymore.

Streamlight and others are driving the LED's much harder these days now that the technology has had several more years to "mature".   For example, their TL-2 LED is supposed to be a 1 watt device, but they are now feeding it 700mA compared to the old 350 mA "spec".  Their 2L 3W light IS a 3 watt LED, and on high it is fed a regulated 700 mA as well.

With a claimed run time of a couple of hours, regulated drive current in the TLR1 will probably be near the 700mA level, and per Lumiled's tech notes 80 lumens is very plausible.  I'll post comparisons next week.

Paladin
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:19:05 AM EDT
[#12]
So how does a 80 Lumen LED of this light compare to say a 60 Lumen output of a Surefire Defender.

Does a LED light throw the light like a Defender?

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:01:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#14]
I just got one and was trying it out...
Depending how hard you tighten it down on your pistol determines if you need a tool to loosen it.  It has a much more solid feel then the M3.  I happen to like the M3's rocker switch so I like these controls over the X200.  I have found that it fits in my duty and tac holster for G21 w/M3 but has 1 part rubbing...I didn't tighten the light down much so it might have been the head of that screw slowing it down.
So far I think its a winner.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:37:45 AM EDT
[#15]
For all those wondering,
I called Streamlight and a representative told me it is made in Pennsylvania, USA by Streamlight, not under contract by Insight.

For those who have the TLR-1 in their hands, how does the switch look?  Does it compare favorably to the switch system on the M-3?  When I called Streamlight, I was told that no tape switch is planned for this unit and no other manufacturer's switch will fit the TLR-1.  Any thought on whether this will be true?

JSR
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:21:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
For all those wondering,
I called Streamlight and a representative told me it is made in Pennsylvania, USA by Streamlight, not under contract by Insight.

For those who have the TLR-1 in their hands, how does the switch look?  Does it compare favorably to the switch system on the M-3?  When I called Streamlight, I was told that no tape switch is planned for this unit and no other manufacturer's switch will fit the TLR-1.  Any thought on whether this will be true?

JSR

I just got a message from Streamlight rep today that they will be producing a remote tape switch in the near future for the TLR-1.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#17]
TLR-1 STREAMLIGHT (off their web site) streamlight-flashlights.com

# Powered by two 3-volt CR123A lithium batteries with 10-year storage life.
# Shockproof 3-watt Luxeon LED with blinding beam (up to 80 lumens) with bright side-light - will not break or burn out!
# Up to 2.5 hour runtime.
# Rail grip clamp system securely attaches/detaches quickly and safely with no tools and without putting your hands in front of the muzzle.
# Fast, Adjustable, Secure Side mounting to 1913 and Glock style Rails.
# Machined aluminum sealed construction with black anodized finish.
# Waterproof to one meter for one hour, dustproof.
# Ambidextrous momemtary/steady on-off switch.
# Highly accurate sight repeatability when remounting.
# Fits existing light bearing holsters.
# 4.8 oz
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:09:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Will the new TL1 fit in a Safariland holster made for the M3?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I just got one and was trying it out...
Depending how hard you tighten it down on your pistol determines if you need a tool to loosen it.  It has a much more solid feel then the M3.  I happen to like the M3's rocker switch so I like these controls over the X200.  I have found that it fits in my duty and tac holster for G21 w/M3 but has 1 part rubbing...I didn't tighten the light down much so it might have been the head of that screw slowing it down.
So far I think its a winner.

has 1 part rubbing...I didn't tighten the light down much so it might have been the head of that screw slowing it down.

See if Frntsyt is refering to a Safariland holster..
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#21]
The switch works identically to the M3 but feels more robust...I like the M3 switch so this is good.
Yes it fits my Safariland holsters.  I may be a little misleading about the fit.  It goes in fine, and you can only feel a slight drag on the way out.  It was to busy the past couple of days to play with it any more but I will be....
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Will the new TL1 fit in a Safariland holster made for the M3?

The info I read said specifically YES, it will fit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:17:57 AM EDT
[#23]
The TLR1 arrived yesterday, and waiting for dark was hard.  Meanwhile, I measured the actual current draw, and was surprised how hard they really are driving the LED.  At 0.825 amps, it is DOUBTFULL the batteries will run over 2 hours, I'm quesstimating something closer to 1.75 hours, at least for full brightness.

After dark, informal comparisons against the SF 6P with P60 lamp were made.  At 20 to 25 yards, NO significant advantage was displayed by either.

The SF beam is more yellow/orange, and the TLR1 beam much more white.

A somewhat larger central "bright area" was produced by the 6P, but the "spill area" from the TLR1 was better illuminated.

The hot spot of the TLR1 was tighter and brighter.

Lighting up a treeline at about 50 yards was inconclusive regarding which was "better".  IMO the TLR holds its own against the P60 very well.

As far as the 80 lumen rating.  The TLR1 DOES outhrow the 42 lumen rated TL-2 LED Gen II, and is equal or slightly brighter than their 2L3W tasklight rated 77 lumens.  Hot spot wise it IS better than a TL-3 LED rated 80, mainly because the 3 watt LED device is physically smaller, and allows a better defined central focus.  "Total" light output between them is similar, and the spill of either lit my back yard very well.

The smaller form factor of using sidexside batteries is very nice.  With the integral mount it lies closer to the rail, and is VERY secure when mounted.

The rear "rocker" switch I am reserving judgement about.  It works well, but I am just not used to the "springy feel" of the momentary position.  As this seems to be primarily aimed at handgun use, the switch makes a lot of sense having it the way it is.

Mounted on a CARBINE at the 9 to 11 oclock position it would work well, and does not take up so much length like a normal 6 volt or 9 volt light.  On a rifle, it looked "lost" because of the short length.

The TLR1 overall output is OVERKILL for "just a second light" use.  As a PRIMARY illumination tool it should please users who are satisfied with the P60 lamp.

No it's not a GLADIUS.  No it's not "multi-level/strobe" capable.  

Yes, it is a well made, reasonably priced addition to my illumination tool bag. Hell, I'm plenty happy using the 30 or 40 lumen older TL-2 LED's mounted for indoor HD uses, and the TLR1 is a huge improvement over them.  Did I mention how compact it was compared to a conventional 6 volt light and mount?

Paladin
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Paladin...do you know if it is running a Lux III ?
And if you have an M3X unit are the heads interchangeable?...would be nice to upgrade
if possible to the LED..imo
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:34:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Just an update on the fit into a Safariland holster.  For the 6280 duty and 6004 tac, the light does fit with that slight snagging.  5 minutes with the dremel and I had the flat ridge removed from the tighten down screw head.  I used a coin to tighten it down all the way anyways and didn't need the ridge.  Now it is smooth!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm going to try one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I just bought one....  $99 bucks + $9.95 shiping from TheFireStore.com

Just called in my order to the nice lady at FireStore.com - wanted to make sure it was in stock.

She said they had 7 in stock, now there will be only 6 left!

$109.99 including shipping

Thanks for the info and reviews guys!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Mounted on a CARBINE at the 9 to 11 oclock position it would work well, and does not take up so much length like a normal 6 volt or 9 volt light.  On a rifle, it looked "lost" because of the short length.

Did I mention how compact it was compared to a conventional 6 volt light and mount?

Paladin

Thanks for the review!

Do you have an overall length and length from front of rail mount to rear most part of the light?

A pic of it on the carbine @ 6 o'clock would be appriciated. I'm wondering how much grip will be left on a carbine length HG once the light is mounted as far forward as possible.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:42:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Just played with one at my local shop.  It is much easier to mount than my M3X or the Surefire X200A & B.  You simple loosted the screw head, push it in, lay the light on the rail and let go of the screw head.  It's that fast.  You then tighten (finger tight) the screw head and you are good to go.  This new unit looks much brighter compared to both SureFires and is very well built.  At less than half the cost of the SureFire I don't see how you can go wrong.

I am going to post my new M3X for sale (if interested send me an IM) so I can pick one of these units up.  My Springfield TRP Operator needs an aluminum light.  Just doesn't seem right to put a plastic (M3X) light on such a work of art.

MadDog
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:48:52 AM EDT
[#30]
i received a TLR-2 form botach monday. all aluminum/steel clamping mechinisim is nice to see. i have seen so many busted m3 locking bars among the cop friends. the cross tab/bar for rail cross notches can be removed on TLR's. light output is equal if not more intense then my M2 UTL. the luxeon's beam is of course more concentric and sharp in the high focus point, but has a very wide wash of lower intensity light. my main dissapointment is the laser/light mode toggle switch. looks like it could break easly. overall im more impressed by this model for the price then the M6 series.

now if my RRA AR pistol upper would just arrive so i could put this where i want it.

www.PictureTrail.com/gid9343326
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:48:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Just ordered one. Even if there's not much room on the bottom rail the way I want to mount it, I could always get an offset pic mount.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#32]
im putting the tdi bayonet lug rail on a 7in pistol upper. thats where i evisioned the TLR going when i purchased it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Here's a picture of the TLR-1 mounted using a short Streamlight handguard rail from the Thunder Ranch Rifle kit.  Where it's mounted a large FSB/barrel shadow was expected, but the wide bezel and generous spill beam seems to "throw around" most of the shadowed areas.  Farther forward would be nice, but that is where the rail goes per Streamlight.

Very natural to press the lever down for momentary, and click up for constant on.  Far enough forward and high enough to not interfere with handling of the side sling or give a light AD.  The PROBLEM is this same light clips right onto my Remington 870 mount, the 9 oclock rails of any Arf on hand, and my M1A Scout rifle with no modifications!  I can't decide where to leave it...

IMO on carbine length handguards the TLR-1 at 6 oclock would take up too much room.  With a VFG it might be OK, and the light body does lay very close to the rail itself.  I don't use a VFG, but it seems like a normal high hold would let you work the right side of the lever with your thumb (but would be "up" for momentary, "down" for constant on).

Paladin

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks Paladin.

I figured it would be tight and am considering a vert grip and/or an offset for the light. If even these theories are a flop, I could just replace my gas block with one that has a bottom piccy rail. My hands aren't  small but don't really want to replace the handguard just yet.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:38:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
that is where the rail goes per Streamlight.

It's OK. THe warranty won't be voided if you mount it some other way.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:56:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Received the light today. Smaller than I expected. Beam has a small hot area and very even spill outside of that spot. Very white light.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:21:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Just purchased on at my local shop for $110 out the door.  I will take pictures tomorrow of it mounted on my Springfield TRP Operator.  It is a big improvement over the Mx3 the details of which have been covered already.   I think it is a keeper.

MadDog
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Got mine today. After fumbling w/ the  battery compartment (Clip is VERY tight) and getting the batteries in right (polarity is reversed on one battery, but the contacts appear the same) I turned out the lights and gave my wife and two year old daughter a light show.

Impressed at the even distribution, with a hot center and very white, almost surreal white light, compared to the very yellow Xenon G2. Very slim and light unit, look forward to mounting it.

At $99 with a lifetime warranty something tells me it wont be my last. The black anodized aircraft grade aluminum is light years better than the black plastic of the M-series, IMO.

recommend www.thefirestore.com where I bought it. Excellent packing, quick shipping. pleasant to deal with over the telephone.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#39]
DR, I know what you mean about that clip for the batt cover. I figure the springs are there to keep even pressure on the batteries during firing the firearm. Pay attention to the battery icons etched into the side of the body. When playing around outside, I would say things are illuminated pretty well up to what I'd guess as 40m in my suburban backlit neighborhood.

Here is a pic of the coverage against room wall:

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:29:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Got mine today...very impressed.  Looks good, well built, pretty darn easy to put on and take off and it has a pretty tight, bright-white light circle with just enough spill over.  It's a keeper.  

The only complaint I have is that with the switch is set to always on, it's somewhat too easy to turn it off (accidentaly brush against the switch lightly with your trigger finger and have it turn off when you don't want it to).

Here's some pics on the TLE RL-II:

Picture up close:

Picture at about 25-30 feet: (in person the light circle looks tighter and more pronounced, with a good outer spill-over ring)

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:03:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Got my TLR-1 yesterday.  It has replaced my M3X on my Springfield TRP Operator.

MadDog

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Hi MadDogDan,  Would you rate the TLR-1 as bright as M3X?  Any advantage over M3X?  Right now I am running a M3X & tempted to order a TLR-1.  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:14:53 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Got my TLR-1 yesterday.  It has replaced my M3X on my Springfield TRP Operator.

MadDog

img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/StreamlightTLR-1005.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/StreamlightTLR-1003.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/MadDogDan/StreamlightTLR-1008.jpg

Very nice pics!  But....none of that stuff looks like it has ever been used, not a scratch!

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#45]
DR,  That is because I just got the SA TRP Operator two weeks ago and have only put 600 rounds through it.  I am going to start using it for 3-Gun Tac Matches and will most definitely have scratches and wear marks soon.  As for the TLR light; I just got it yesterday and have only mounted it on the TRP Op so that speaks for itself.

MadDog

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
www.adcofirearms.com/junkpics/2lights.jpg

Not bad considering the TLR-1 is about $100 and the X200A retails for around $250!
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:28:55 AM EDT
[#48]
I'm currently running a M3 on my G-19 but I'm thinking of switching over to a TLR. On of my biggest complaints about the M3 is the adjustable focus. I prefer a nonadjustable prefocused spot. It looks like the TLR is prefocused and not adjustable? Can someone confirm this????

TIA,
Wedge

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:35:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Got mine today for my Warrior. Got it off E-bay for a little under the going rate.

Very impressed with it.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top