Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 1:12:26 AM EDT
[#1]
That is an awesome weapon system.   Thanks for sharing the photos.  Do you know the power output of the laser?  It reasons that if it is a military laser that the output may exceed what is normally available.  I know the ones we have here in SWA are very powerful rated as high as 175mw IR output.  Thanks again for your post.

The Army Owns the Night
God bless America
Very Respectfully,
David
South West Asia
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 6:31:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By ARMY30YEARSPLUS:
That is an awesome weapon system.   Thanks for sharing the photos.  Do you know the power output of the laser?  It reasons that if it is a military laser that the output may exceed what is normally available.  I know the ones we have here in SWA are very powerful rated as high as 175mw IR output.  Thanks again for your post.

The Army Owns the Night
God bless America
Very Respectfully,
David
South West Asia

ARMY30YEARSPLUS,

I have no idea of the specs for this unit. And that really bugs me. I took Lanny's word on the units ability. When it showed up without any documentation I asked Lanny and he didn't recieve any info with them. I usually love knowing all about the stuff I own, but in this case I have to just be satisfied with the performance. Hell I don't even know what to call it to order another one.hankTake care,
JWL
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 8:26:45 PM EDT
[#3]
How do I get in touch with Lanny Leonard about the illuminator?

Bob
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#4]
ElmerFudd,
You posted in this thread that someone sold you a two piece unit for your Corsak laser. Where can I get one and who makes it?

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=20&t=235434

Thanks for any help. I am stuck with a barrel mount and want a rail mount.

Bob
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 1:14:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jnglt91] [#5]
Uh...I just gone done playing with my D760 and had to chime in a bit.  The D760 is a PIMP DADDY tool.  Got mine through VicD and was hooked up with an Optics HQ hand select SCREAMIN specs tube.  Did I mention the D760 was the PIMP DADDY tool?  

My house backs up to a preserve and I was messing around with various focal points and  imaginary targets and generally staying up late screwing around.  Bottom line...if the wind chill was not 40 degrees I would still be out there right now.

This is really the first time I put the D760 up to a test of any sort.  Surprisingly I found that even thought it is 6x, proper- and easy to adjust- focus, allows you to sight close-in targets at @50 meters almost like a 4x.  It is an incredibly clear and versatile night scope.  In that respect I figure folks who don't yet have a D760 have the following reasons for not owning one:

1) They can't afford one-save up...its worth it!
2) They don't understand how good it is

PIMP DADDY SHIZNIT!!!

Special thanks to Micheal and Victor for "breaking" me into the world of night and for having the patience to teach me and hold my hand through various purchases.

If it is within your means....buy one now....right now.  Seriously!

Freddy
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 1:18:30 AM EDT
[#6]
BTW- I am now a naturalized Texan and live near Austin.  I really need to get hooked up with places to shoot at night.  Can anyone make and recommendations?

Thanks! Freddy
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By Ky_Bob:
How do I get in touch with Lanny Leonard about the illuminator?

Bob

Lany Leonard: email ...

[email protected]

Hope that helps,
JWL
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 1:17:34 AM EDT
[#8]
tag
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 1:56:27 AM EDT
[#9]
What Generation intensifier tube does your D760 have.  I have been so spoiled by PVS 7D tubes that I don't know if I can go back to anything of less quality in my civilian side of life.  If you have any pictures that you can post it would add to the string we have been working on.

The Army Owns the Night
God bless America
Very Respectfully
David
South West Asia
Link Posted: 10/30/2005 12:42:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#10]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#11]
  When I use the IR Illuminator on my ATN 6900, I noticed the wildlife often responded as if they saw the light. To check it out, I walked out ~60 yards and noticed I could see the illuninator. I moved out to 80 yards and could still see it.
  Have any of you gone down range to see if your IR illuminators are visible? I was looking into buying an ELR IR illuminator, but if it's visible, I might as well stay with my ATN.
  If the ELR is visible, are there any other options worth looking into? The majority of my shots are within 200 yards, and the 450 mW ATN works fine except for being visible to the wildlife.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:39:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By TX_Rancher:
  When I use the IR Illuminator on my ATN 6900, I noticed the wildlife often responded as if they saw the light. To check it out, I walked out ~60 yards and noticed I could see the illuminator. I moved out to 80 yards and could still see it.
  Have any of you gone down range to see if your IR illuminators are visible? I was looking into buying an ELR IR eliminator, but if it's visible, I might as well stay with my ATN.
  If the ELR is visible, are there any other options worth looking into? The majority of my shots are within 200 yards, and the 450 mW ATN works fine except for being visible to the wildlife.

I have not found any long range illuminator that is not visible (dim low red light) from the target end. I have played with almost a dozen different IR LED's that do not show any light but they are not ready for prime time. Focus is the main problem I have had.

With that being said, when I am looking around at night at wild game, I use my ITT 6015 to find the game in passive mode. I then illuminate to confirm the target, and then take the shot. If done carefully you can avoid spooking the game.

The unit from Lanny Leonard looks like a triangle made of three very small red lights down range but that little light is good out to hundreds of yards. It is an amazing little illuminator.

Bob
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:42:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:35:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Bob:
  Thanks for the feedback. I use a dual system for hunting, a MiNi 14 to spot the varmint, and then switch to my ATN Crusader (Gen 2) for the shot. Sometimes the IR doesn’t spook them, so I get plenty of time to place the shot.
  I’ve also noticed, at least with wild hogs, if the light is coming from above ground it doesn’t seem to bother them much. When I’m in a tree blind, the illuminator doesn’t attract their attention, at least not much, and occasionally one will look up for a few seconds, then go back to whatever it was doing.
  But if I’m on the ground, prone or sitting, it will get their attention just about every time. By the way, with my ATN prone is not a good position when using the IR, it tends to bloom the scope with the reflection from the ground/grass.
  Dumping the Crusader and shifting to a D-740/760 would probably solve the issue for me. By far, the majority of my shots are in open fields just outside the tree line. I very rarely take shots into the woods. From the pictures I’ve seen posted of the D-740/760 scopes, I wouldn’t need the IR, where with my Crusader I need it whenever the moons not out (unless the shot is within ~50 yards, then starlight seems to be enough).
  Having a momentary switch on the IR would be very helpful. My ATN is turned on by two pushbuttons on top of the illuminator. This adds ~ 1 ½ sec to making the shot. Not much in most cases, but if the animal spooks right away, it’s enough to spoil the shot.
  Do you have a link with some information on the Lanny Leonard illuminator?

Victor:
  I’m very interested in how your research into 940 nm turns out. My ATN illuminator puts out considerably more then a faint red glow, at least in my opinion. I may still try the ELR and see if it gives off less visible light.
  When do you think you will have your results and a product on the market? Do you have any idea what the price would be?
  What type of scope will your Alaska customer be using to test your prototype illuminator? I assume Gen 3 or above…
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#15]
TX_Rancher.
Interesting point on being above ground not bothering the hogs. I have been spotting from the ground and will have to try it from a stand.

The IR illuminator is a Russian Belarus or something like that. It takes a CR123 battery and has an adjustable aperture that allows you to control the width of the beam. Wide for close in and tight for far away. I have successfully lit up and identified deer from over 400 yards away and think it would go much further but it is hard to find open areas over 400 yards in my neck of the woods. I will see if I can get a picture this evening. It runs under $300.00.

Bob
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#17]
PAQ-4C on MRP:

haven't used it enough for a full evaluation, but it has serious potential
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:19:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:20:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:30:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:49:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Are we likely to see a post at some point which organizes all this data into a unit-by-unit comparisoon?  I'd like to see something that indicates ranges, power, battery life, and suggested applications.

At the moment, I'm conducting OTS research for a non-government group for the purpose of assembling a complete visible illumination package.  The next phase will focus on NVDs and related aiming/illumination accessories, including compatible tactical and rifle scopes.  It would be nice to be able to plan ahead.  I conducted NVD research a few years ago, but technology advances and it seems most of my old data, which at the time seemed to elevate the mini-14 for civilian use, needs to be redone to include laser aiming devices (visible and IR) and IR ilumination.

It'll be difficult to recommend a kit that has a dozen expensive pieces to groups and companies that use my services because they can't support a dedicated research staff.  Thus, in my opinion, a whole system should be looked at, component by component, from the ground up.  As some of you have noted, it's not enough to have the best IR device if it doesn't work well with your scope or NVD.  Keeping the system simple, well integrated for a variety of applications, with commonality of power source and accessories, is a strong selling point.  The term "best" is subjective, after all.

Vic, I look forward to having a long discussion with you and others once I've established a thread for that phase.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Okay, I'm the Alaskan guy Vic has referred to.  I just purchased a MUM from Vic along with a few other items including (Da Torch) which I will comment on here as it seems to be Da Place to do it.
First off I want to thank Vic for all his advise and support which has been tops..
I've been out several times this last week testing out the equipment.   Set Da Torch up on my Bushmaster last week and did a few small patrols with the NV gear up the valley I live in.. Terrain is a mix of spruce forest with occasional gravel bars along a river bed with a few nice open area's to call in..  First night out it was snowing pretty good.  Hit Da Torch from a high bank and scanned river bed and opposite banks..50-200m range.. Da Torch totally penetrates da snow falling. I will say it is almost to bright for close in work but you already new that.. I wonder if a flip up IR hood could be used over Da Torch for close in stuff..  I also have an OTAL laser on my AR and by itself it really blooms with nightvision but if I hit Da Torch it knocks the blooming down significantly..
On second outing I did a little calling and spotted some eye's out around 200m in the brush but could not get more of a response than that.   I have an EoTech and I'm finding its really only effective out to about 100m..  At this point I started feeling like I maybe should have purchased pvs-14 with a 3X magnifier for night hunting and game observation.. Courts still out on that.
A couple days later I drove out to a frozen lake in the mountains and set up a few targets at various ranges from 50m out to 300m.   With Eo Tech and MUM  I was nailing milk jugs every round out to 100m and from there it got sketchy.. Same thing with laser and MUM...  with MUM, laser and Da Torch increased range a little but did notice that when the laser hit a piece of firewood I had put out at 150m it would reflect a little and was able to get some hits on that target but not consistant.  Hooked the MUM and Da Torch up to my Leoupold spotting scope on 12X and with the laser I could easily engage targets with consistant hits out to 300m..   It was a little tricky as I had to keep readjusting the spotting scope to new targets but I think I could have easily hit a milk jug size target out to 400m.. Without Da Torch I was loosing so much light through the scope that I couldn't even see the targets out to 200m..  With Da Torch it wasn't even fair.. It would be fun to put the D-760 through a work out with Da Torch.  Someday...
Sorry to be so long winded.  Hope this gives some useful info for someone.. I'm new to nightvision and all the stuff that goes along with it but am excited to begin working with it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:14:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:31:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:46:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:51:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:11:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Better pic:

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Hello,

I need to pick up a Vital-2.  Anybody know of one for sale?  Thanks,

Joseph  [email protected]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:27:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Watcher-] [#31]

Originally Posted By Victor:
Watcher, one of Kev's buds has one of the best sites for Lasers and such. This was listed WAY back on this thread. (Arghhhh ONLY wish we could have our own dedicated NV forum soon!)
www.nightoperations.com/lasers.htm
Has MUCH of the info that can get you started in the right direction.

I saw the link while reading the entire thread before posting.  One category of information that it lacks, and the NVD industry websites lack this in general, by the way, is any indication of what is available to the non-governmental purchaser.

There's really no value in getting worked up over some uber piece of equipment you'd never be able to purchase.  Is there no source or post that can be made to this thread that might let civilians know what they have to choose from?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:26:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#32]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#33]

As for the value of getting worked up...They're plenty of LE and govy folks around that deem this information VERY useful.  I routinely conduct demos and review all types of IR lasers. I am just about to complete one of LD's DBAL (sqaured) all in one IR Laser/Illum with a Vis Laser.

Surely.  And it wasn't my intention to suggest there was no implicit value in a group discussion of equipment produced by the industry.  Rather, being now in receipt of this information, I'm interested in a way of making it useful for my purposes.

When last I looked into NVD products, one of the problematic aspecs was not that I couldn't locate a device that did precisely what I had been asked to find, but that noone could sell it to me.  LIFs are a perfect example.  You can't even get them for binoculars.  So, before I get too far into coordinating the purchase of compatible illuminators, NVDs, and weapon sights, it seems prudent to determine what can actually be assembled into a kit.

I imagine this market segment is so small, comparatively, that the industry utterly ignores it, which does nothing to help.  Of course, that segment can never be more than marginal until someone demarginalizes it.  But you get conflicting recommendations, which only serves to exemplify the lack of even awareness from the industry.

As I approach visible illumination, for example, it's recommended (from a dealer) that IR filters for Surefire Millennium units be eschewed in preference for a true IR illuminator and target designator for a particular task.  If only they were available.  When speaking of non-government users, it becomes a vicous cycle.  But, rather than being frustrated and taking it out on this thread, I'm merely interested in whether there actually is a website or other source that can simply tell me what civilians have to choose from ... so progess can be made toward a kit clients will be able to acquire.  With the assembled group being who they are, this seemed like the right bunch to ask.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:09:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Victor] [#34]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:25:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Watcher-] [#35]

Your research should include calls to NVEC, Laser Devices Inc., Insight Technologies, and ITT etc. to get their official insight to what they offer to the public.  I can tell you officially that there are NO Federal restrictions on NVD's OR Thermal systems.  Now NVEC has a company policy that does not allow direct sales to the public.  LIF's are NOT Federally restricted, just the company restricting them.

I've gone through a number of dealers/suppliers in the past, looking for certain items.  Speaking candidly, the presence or lack of a law versus a policy is academic if the result is the same.  For two years I tried to find a source for LIFs fitting the civilian M24 binocular, utterly without success.  As an individual, I should imagine my ability to obtain single purchase items from a supplier/manufacturer to be somewhat less than that of a commericial dealer, which is why I've always tried to go through them.

Kinda confused here....A Surefire M1 Millennium IS a dedicated IR illuminator.  Why would anyone put an IR filter on this? Some in the industry think that because of the faint (naked eye) red glow the IR LEDS's produce is to place an IR filter over the illuminator. If you do this, you will lose almost ALL the IR light. This does not make sense.

Ideally, the approach would be a single unit for a full spectrum of long gun applications.  Let's say, the ITI M6X (with its integrated laser), and an IR filter flip cover.  This is all the pieces, less an IR target designator.  The system will also perform spectacularly poorly for almost any application outside home defense.  ITI only offers IR lasers in their LAM, those versions of which they don't sell to the commercial market.

As for choosing a dedicated IR illuminator over a filter consider this; It's common knowledge (to me anyway,) ANYTIME you place a infrared filter over an incandescent light source, you lose a large portion of that light, thus, a dedicated IR LED is the best and effective way to throw out the most IR light. (But, it also depends on what your mission calls for, see below)  The other option of course is to employ a true IR laser illuminator, but you run into the FDA restrictions for the commercial folks of course.

You're actually reinforcing virtually the same statements made over on the visible side of the market when I brought up this project.  So, let's say we end up breaking the package into pieces parts.  My original idea was a Surefire M96x unit with an IR filter for both visible and NVD applications.  As you and the dealer point out, the effect of the filter can end up being less than desireable.  So, we drop the filter and add a Surefire M1 IR LED to overcome this, but still lack either a visible or IR targeting laser.  Assuming some unnamed visible laser is added, we're still lacking an IR laser targeting device, which now we cannot acquire.  To top it off, there are now three units mounted on the rail system, adding significant weight and cost.  Without the IR laser, add a weapon-mountable NVD, plus a compatible reflex or target weaponsight.  It's a package which is hard to sell to the private sector, but there appears to be little to no options.  Unless I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:02:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Watcher-] [#38]

Originally Posted By C4iGrant:
Watcher, I might has some options for you in the future. I am sure you have seen the IWAL 2 by now (which is an IR laser). We (Hayes Research and I) are looking at doing a dual model that will have a visible laser on one side and an IR on the other. Stay tuned.....

I have seen this unit on another thread.  The only "down side" I can envision to it, believe it or not, is commonality of power supply when integrated into a kit.  All other components -- reflex sight (Tripower), Surefire M9xx illuminator, Surefire M1 IR illuminator, NVM-001 -- all operate from CR123A cells.  Logistics are a cinch with the LMT SOPMOD stock and MIAD grip with CR123 core providing adequate on-weapon storage for spares.

Speaking again of ideals, an IWAL unit with both visible and IR lasers operating from a common CR123A power supply would be even better.  That is, unless the run time on the current battery type (?) is ridiculously long.  Of course, how can you sell an IR laser to civilians?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:32:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:19:29 AM EDT
[#40]
I feel your pain -Watcher-

First the food pyramid, then nutrasweet, now IR laser restrictions?!  What's with the FDA anywayz??

Looks like there's a lil loophole being worked (Hayes) and that may be a great option (you have a link to more info on your site Grant?).  I'd like to see a dual IR/Vis laser akin to the DBAL.  I decided to go extra-jurisdictional (shopping outside the US) and picked up a Newcon Optik LAM10 3A, which is working out quite nicely (in combo with a PVS-14).  Here's a couple of images:

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:24:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Indeed.  Hijacking a thread is a bit unfair to the readers who've come for it.  I promise I've seen the IWAL2 on the linked thread and have subscribed to it.  I'll get any posts to that thread and my IM and e-mail board features have been activated.

Back on topic, how about a posting that lists the various IR units according to their recommended application?  I think this would be useful in allowing interested parties to more readily focus on the strengths and weaknesses of these products according to the use one is looking at them for.  Right now, what we have is individualized product descriptions and, while at least becoming more consolidated (as opposed to sweeping the entire Internet), still requires the reader to research each one.

As it is, there are many products on the market from different manufacturers that are similar, but with minor variations which nevertheless make a model better or worse for your particular mission.  Also useful would be ways to readily identify one model from another, particularly so where configurations/bodies are almost identical.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:56:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sdv811] [#44]
Does anyone have experience with PEQ-2A beam divergence/spot size, in practice? I am currently using a PEQ, and have noticed the target laser spot size is 3-4 inches in diameter at approximately 125 feet. The spec, from what I can gather at nivisys.com, is 0.3 mrad. So, unless I am messing-up the math, I should see a spot diameter of around 0.4 inches at 120 feet. It is possible some of what I observe could be blooming or surface refraction - but my experience with IR lasers is limited, so I am not sure. As per this thread's suggestions, I tried the combined mode of target pointer and illuminator. Target pointer spot size did appear smaller when used in conjunction with the illuminator, but not by much. I am using a variety of target surfaces; dirt/rock berms, folliage, and stucco building walls.

Any thoughts on what I have observed? Are PEQ-2As typically out-of-spec with regard to pointer spot divergence; or, am I seeing a blooming or refraction effect, even with the combined target spot and illuminator?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:45:34 AM EDT
[#46]
tagged to keep alive.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:47:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rsilvers] [#47]
What do you all think of this one?

www.newcon-optik.com/lam2ir.html

Specs

I just found out it is about $1400.

The LAM 10M model is $800
www.newcon-optik.com/lam10m_3a.html
www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=REG&O=productlist&sku=390936

So the bad news is, these are not cheap. The good news is I can buy them without jumping through hoops.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Wow:

250mw

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Greetings rsilver,

I just sent you a reply to your IM regarding my impressions of the Newcon LAM10M 3A.

The B&H link you provided is for a Newcon IR Illuminator (not aimer, nor combo).  "Newcon I/R 400 400-mWatt Infrared Illuminator" ~> http://www.newcon-optik.com/ir400.html

The folks @ B&H are very savvy merchants and I doubt you'd find them infracting on any regulations. It is interesting to see they've listed class IIIB and IV IR lasers on their website for consumer sales.  B&H's margins are low - they have good pricing.  I'd jump before someone snitches them to the FDA. (or did the FDA change it's regs on IR lasers?!).

Cheers,
Paje

Page / 7
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top