AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/8/2005 8:20:44 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 12:30:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Chen,
Do you sell PEQ2A pressure switches?
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Good shot of the PEQ....Clearly shows the power LED in the switch assembly. The true military units do NOT have this LED.  Awhile back, a marine armoror here (that had about 50 or so he had on hand) did not know and believe ANY of the PEQ's came with a power on LED since the 100's he handled never had tis feature.  The FDA regulated that the LE/Non-Govy units had to have an "on" indicator.  Before anyone asks...No you do not see the faint green LED unless you are looking straight down atop of the unit.  That's why it's depressed in the switch body.  Nice pics Chen!
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I am a Marine and I have seen several units that have the green LED in service, fyi.

mrf2

YATYAS
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am a Marine and I have seen several units that have the green LED in service, fyi.

mrf2

YATYAS

Good to know...The other marine here was quite stressed he could not find ANY LED's on his. He thought something was wrong and really never beleived it.  I had to dig out my owners manual and give him the page number on where it described the LED.  I take it the military manuals also differed from the non-govy ones as well?   How long have you had your PEQ's on hand and do the manuals describe the LED?  Thanks!

(Btw, Tried to find the original post, could not..Thought I could go back more than 3 months in the search engine here?)
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:41:38 AM EDT
[#5]
When I was in the Army, every unit I ever saw had the LED power indicator.  What I never saw in place was the blue "low power only" block on the selector switch... I guess those things got ditched straight out of the box.

-Randy
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Victor- I'm just a user, we don't get to see the manuals (kept in the pubs locker). The unit I'm in now has PAQ-4Cs, but I saw some PEQ-2A's w/ the LED about 4 months ago in Quantico. My understanding is it's a PEQ-2 and PEQ-2A difference, but I could be wrong.

mrf2

YATYAS
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#7]
So, is this one available to civilians?
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So, is this one available to civilians?

While they are NOT illegal to own, the FDA regualtes original sale ONLY to LE and Govy agencies. There are several floating around.  They go from $1,500 to 2K or so.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Victor- I'm just a user, we don't get to see the manuals (kept in the pubs locker). The unit I'm in now has PAQ-4Cs, but I saw some PEQ-2A's w/ the LED about 4 months ago in Quantico. My understanding is it's a PEQ-2 and PEQ-2A difference, but I could be wrong.

mrf2

YATYAS

There are a couple of other operational differences between the two besides the safety mode switch on the 2A...This should help.
www.defensereview.com/1_31_2004/Insight%20Technology%20Incorporated%20AN-PEQ-2A%20Infrared%20Target%20Pointer-Illuminator-Aiming%20Laser.pdf

I like the last bullet text on the left in blue...."Meets all military environmental requirments"....Errr yea, except when the body housing breaks and the troops have to hold them together with duck tape!
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I checked, and the AN/PEQ-2A pictured in Army FM 3-22.9 has the power indicator LED on it.

-Randy
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 6:50:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I checked, and the AN/PEQ-2A pictured in Army FM 3-22.9 has the power indicator LED on it.

-Randy

Hmmm, thanks for the info Randy!  I know the FDA only had the non-govy models requirement for the LED power on indicator.  From what I understand, the military is exempt from this requirement. There are PEQ-2A's out there without a LED on indicator.  EVERY LE unit we've bought in the past had the LED, in fact, I've never personally handled one that did not have the LED.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My understanding is it's a PEQ-2 and PEQ-2A difference, but I could be wrong.

mrf2

I think you're right.  I've found a few pics of AN/PEQ-2 models and none of them have the LED indicator.  Every AN/PEQ-2A I have seen in real life or pictures does have the LED indicator.

-Randy
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 12:53:12 PM EDT
[#13]
My agency has gotten a bunch of these surplus from DRMO (always from Army bases, for that matter) and they all have the LED, which is plainly visible with the naked eye or through NVGs when the unit is lasing. Only about half of them work though, so we have had to get a bunch to get enough working ones together.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#14]
How much do these things cost per unit?
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#15]
6 posts above!
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

.gov list price is 1K.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:05:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
 Nice pics Chen!

Thanks Vic, let's do dinner after I get back from Alaska this month.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:34:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:39:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Great pix.

For the un-initiated, what exactly do these PEQ-2 devices do?

are they laser range finders? (provide exact distances)

are they visible lasers for optical reference? (place beam on desired target- and shoot)

or both?

or neither?

lastly, what do they weigh?

TIA
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:33:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Here's the brief description straight from the Army FM:

"The AN/PEQ-2A target pointer/illuminator/aiming light (TPIAL) is a Class IIIb laser that emits a highly collimated beam of infrared light for precise aiming of the weapon as well as a separate infrared illumination beam with adjustable focus to illuminate shadowed areas. The AN/PEQ-2A is used in conjunction with night vision devices and can be used as either a handheld illuminator/pointer or can be weapon-mounted with included brackets/accessory mounts. The AN/PEQ-2A can be used to accurately direct fire as well as illuminate and designate areas and targets."

As for weight... not much? They are mostly plastic.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 Nice pics Chen!

Thanks Vic, let's do dinner after I get back from Alaska this month.

Sounds good...Give me a shout when you are back in town...Maybe we can "sqeeze a few off" as well!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:19:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

.gov list price is 1K.

I know that when Pvt. Snuffy loses one he gets charged about $2,000. Didnt happen to me, just asked the CO once when he had a statement of charges price guide out.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:09:22 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

.gov list price is 1K.

I know that when Pvt. Snuffy loses one he gets charged about $2,000. Didnt happen to me, just asked the CO once when he had a statement of charges price guide out.

That is what state and local governmaents pay, more or less, though they would be stupid not to just get a bunch of "free" ones from DRMO until they get enough working units (which is what I did). The military is supposed to pay right around $1K (just checked, the list price for the military for the ILLUMINATOR, INFRARED, NSN 5855-01-447-8992 is exactly $1000.00) for them, but, unless things have changed significantly, PV2 Snuffy (or any enlisted puke) can't get billed more than one month's pay for a statement of charges, and the Company Commander can decide that the loss wasn't Snuffy's fault, in which case Snuffy doesn't have to pay anything.
Link Posted: 3/28/2005 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted: What I never saw in place was the blue "low power only" block on the selector switch... I guess those things got ditched straight out of the box.

-Randy

The blue power block plate can be flipped over and screwed into place so it doesnt get lost. The color on that side is black.  In that position, all of the switch detents can be selected.
Link Posted: 3/28/2005 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#25]
z
Link Posted: 3/30/2005 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Great photos.
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 1:17:30 AM EDT
[#27]
Question from the Peanut Gallery: Is there anywhere a civilian can purchase these, or are they only available as surplus/reutilized goods? (Read: wherever you can find one second-hand)    InSight doesn't even list them. . . Just curious--
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 1:32:43 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Question from the Peanut Gallery: Is there anywhere a civilian can purchase these, or are they only available as surplus/reutilized goods? (Read: wherever you can find one second-hand)    InSight doesn't even list them. . . Just curious--

A civvy can't purchase them new, the FDA regulates their sales to govy or LE (drop ship) only.  Unless you know an LEO, getting one new will be a bit difficult.  Hope this helps.

Edited for my lousy spelling at times!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 2:06:32 AM EDT
[#29]
It sure does, Victor, thanks. I can't help but be fascinated with these things, the more so since my boy just got back from Iraq and has been telling me about the one he had on his M4. Ah, well, then it must remain a dream-- for now. Please give SMGLee my regards and compliments on a very good-looking site.  --Lee
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 4:55:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Nice pics.

And to those wanting one,  you can find them if you look long and hard enough.
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 5:40:54 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Nice pics.

And to those wanting one,  you can find them if you look long and hard enough.

For a pretty penny, though.

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 3/31/2005 6:05:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A civvy can't purchase them new, the FDA regulates their sales to govy or LE (drop ship) only.  Unless ypu know an LEO, getting one new will be a bit difficult.  Hope this helps.

so its legal to have a LEO friend to order one or more for a civie??

Link Posted: 3/31/2005 9:28:07 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A civvy can't purchase them new, the FDA regulates their sales to govy or LE (drop ship) only.  Unless ypu know an LEO, getting one new will be a bit difficult.  Hope this helps.

so its legal to have a LEO friend to order one or more for a civie??

That would be up to the LE agency and the location you live in I would assume.
Link Posted: 4/4/2005 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#34]
now I can mark my airsoft version correctly...

just kidding
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top