Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2004 8:52:52 PM EDT
Ok, what I would like to do is buy an IR laser to mount on my AR and use in conjunction with a NV Monocular.  With this setup I can use the mono as a weaon site or remove it for simply spotting at night.

However, I have noted that the mfgers only sell to LEO and Military.  What is the law in this regard? Is it illegal for a private citizen to simply own an IRlaser? Or is the prohibition just on the mfgers against selling to individuals?

How can I legally go about obtaining an IR laser? Can I purchase one from a LEO? Can I purchase surplus ones?

Here is a technical question:  If i took a regular laser, and fitted an inrared lense over it such as are sold for flashlights, would it emit a beam visible to a NV device?
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 10:08:36 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I understand it is not illegal for the manufacturers to sell them to civilians, but big goverment told them sell only to law enforcement and military or we will make things very difficult. Once the IR laser is sold to an approved agancey, they can legally sell it to civilians, which would be very difficult to arrange. You can easily buy (or so Ive been told) a Corsak IR laser, just the same as buying anything else off the internet. I think the Corsak is Russian manufactured.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 11:28:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's a good info page about IR lasers and legality... IR LAMs

They explain it all pretty well, HTH.
-Randy
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 1:00:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey thanks for the info guys.

And i think I answered my own question about the infrared lense.  Since the laser is only emitting one frequency of light (in the visible range) then filtering all but the infrared light with a filter will do no good because the laser isnt emtting any infrared light.  Does that make sense?

edit: and i just thought of a possible solution.  Take a high power flashlight and focus the beam as much as possible. Then take a lens cap and cut out a tiny hole in the very center. Then fit an infrared filter over that. Viola! Simulated IR Laser! Won't be as good as the real thing, but its better than nothing probably.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 10:16:05 AM EDT
[#4]
The FDA regulates the sale of lasers.  From what I gather, the only reason that we may not buy IR lasers is because they do not have an indicator light that shows the laser is emitting.  The corsak, however, does, and that is why it is allowed to be sold.

Lasers are coherent light of a very specific frequency.  If you put an IR filter on a non-ir laser, you will filter all of the (generally red) light out, and have a non-functioning unit.

There do not seem to be any issues with owning or building a unit of your own, but your state may vary.

Link Posted: 8/6/2004 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The FDA regulates the sale of lasers.  From what I gather, the only reason that we may not buy IR lasers is because they do not have an indicator light that shows the laser is emitting.  The corsak, however, does, and that is why it is allowed to be sold.

Lasers are coherent light of a very specific frequency.  If you put an IR filter on a non-ir laser, you will filter all of the (generally red) light out, and have a non-functioning unit.

There do not seem to be any issues with owning or building a unit of your own, but your state may vary.

An IR laser shined into someone's eyes could damage the eye. Since the person couldn't see the IR beam, they wouldn't blink or turn away while the IR beam was being shined into their eye.

My understanding is that the FDA "convinced" the makers of IR lasers that it would be better for them if the IR lasers were only sold to MIL/GOV types.

I don't beleive there are any prohibitions on possesing IR lasers however.
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I know the AN/PEQ-2 has an indicator light.  The Corsak is sold by importers who bring them in to the country as used/surplus goods.  If they were sold by the company or a distributor as new units, then they would be regulated as such.  Same is true for all IR lasers, once they leave the manufacturer or distributor (although almost all that are sold through distributors are drop-shipped directly from the manufacturer) they can be transferred to anyone, legally.  HTH.

-Randy
Link Posted: 8/6/2004 10:57:21 PM EDT
[#7]
My laser will never be pointed at a person unless I intend to shoot him with the gun it is attached to.  In that case, he'll will have more serious things to worry about than my laser.
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 9:13:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Andy,   e-mail me or IM me I maybe have something you want
Link Posted: 8/7/2004 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know the AN/PEQ-2 has an indicator light.  The Corsak is sold by importers who bring them in to the country as used/surplus goods.  If they were sold by the company or a distributor as new units, then they would be regulated as such.  Same is true for all IR lasers, once they leave the manufacturer or distributor (although almost all that are sold through distributors are drop-shipped directly from the manufacturer) they can be transferred to anyone, legally.  HTH.

-Randy

Ok, fine, you don't have to believe me... but you can read it here if you like.  If you don't believe the FDA, I don't know what to tell you.

FDA link
Link Posted: 8/8/2004 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Randy

Ok, fine, you don't have to believe me... but you can read it here if you like.  If you don't believe the FDA, I don't know what to tell you.

FDA link

Um... nothing I said was in disbelief of your statement, just clarification.  *All* IR lasers sold to the military and law enforcement have an indicator light (or audible warning), per FDA regulation (see my example of the AN/PEQ-2).  The manufacturers agree to only sell these lasers to qualified agencies as part of their product classification and approval process with the FDA.  You're not buying the Corsak from the manufacturer, are you?  The Corsak is legal to own by anyone, just like the AN/PEQ-2, AN-PEQ-4, LAM, ITPIAL, etc. are all legal to own by anyone.  The restriction on sales applies to the manufacturers, there is no restriction on ownership.

-Randy
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top