Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2004 11:10:05 PM EDT
What are the advantages of the replacement tailcap over the one that comes with the G2???

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 11:48:08 PM EDT
[#1]
The standard G2 tailcap button only operates as a "momentary on", meaning you have to keep it pressed for the light to stay on.  Turn the tailcap clockwise for "constant on".

The z48/z49 tailcap has a "clicker" button.  It keeps the momentary on feature, but if you want constant on, just press the button harder until it clicks.  Click again to turn off.  It has a raised rubber rim to help prevent accidental activation.  IMHO, the z48/49 is more convenient to use.

Neither the stock G2 nor z48/49 tailcaps have a lockout ability which disables to button entirely.
Link Posted: 7/4/2004 5:14:17 AM EDT
[#2]
The Z48 (HA) and Z49 (BK)  [and SW02] TailCaps to have the ability to be Locked Out by backing them off the body just like a standard [non click] LockOut TailCap.

The Z48/Z49  have this ability on the G2 - the push button [click] switch can be disabled.
Link Posted: 7/4/2004 6:44:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I was just on Surefire's website and it says that the G2 Nitrolon does not have a click on light option.  Am I missing something or are you guys talking about a different light?
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I was just on Surefire's website and it says that the G2 Nitrolon does not have a click on light option.  Am I missing something or are you guys talking about a different light?

We're talking about adding either a Z48 or Z49 tailcap which would give it the ability to click on and off.  It's an add on item.  SF doesn't advertise the fact that it works, but it does as the G2 uses the same thread diameter as the P series, classic series weaponlights, and MU series weaponlights.lights.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 10:02:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Get the G2Z (gee two zee, or gee two zed for those in the GWN).

Comes with the lanyard and easily allows the Rogers method of using the light with either a handgun or a rifle.

-- Chuck

Yes, but is he thinking of mounting the light directly to the rifle?  If so, the G2 with a shock isolated bezel and the Z48/Z49 tailcap is a good budget weaponlight.  It won't have the [theoretical] ruggedness of a dedicated weaponlight, but it has been used with good results in real world operations by some units.
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#7]
SureFire Interchangeability:
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Size15s,
It looks like you removed the rubber rim from the Z48 and SW02 (3rd from the top and the bottom).
Any particular reason for this?
Link Posted: 7/10/2004 2:09:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, when I use these on handheld flashlights such as the M3T and M4, the shroud gets in the way of my preferred grips (including the CombatGrip). The SW02 is a great way to enhance grip on the M4 which is rather bezel-end heavy.

A word of caution. The rubber shrouds are rather difficult to remove and I have never managed to put one back on.

If you see a photo of mine with the SW02 with a shroud on, that's because I cut one and the cut is hidden from the camera!

Al
Link Posted: 7/10/2004 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm a big fan of this set up. I wanted a weapons light but could not see spending the $300 for a MU 9v set up. so I got the Z48/49 tail cap and the shock isolated bezel from Brighflashlights (Awesome to deal with) and put it on my G2 and could not be  more happier. I use a 1" weaver scope ring to mount it on a Yankee Hill Angle mount on my RAS and it's working sweat for me. Sure I would Like a MU some day, but if your on a budget, this is hard to beat.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top