AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/5/2004 4:32:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/5/2004 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the review and photos.

The regulated runtime of the X200A is 90 minutes (constant-on).
I wanted to wait until it had been measured several times by one of my friends before posting it.

Other advantages of the X200A are that it is waterproof to 33 metres as standard. It has Mil Spec Hard Anodizing inside and out as standard. It comes with Picatinny and Universal rail mounts as standard.
The switching is more ambidextrous and with instant-on/off compared to the M-3.
The beam can not be defocused, the bezel can not fall off or crack like the M-3 is known to, and if anything does go wrong; if it breaks, SureFire will fix it.

It will fit holsters that the M-3 fits.

The "halo" and the "diamond" beam are results of the LuxeonIII and optic used in the X200A bezel. SureFire will continue to refine the this technology I'm sure.

Al
Link Posted: 2/6/2004 6:13:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/6/2004 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#3]
You know what I would love to see as a switch option, the Slimline grip-activated switch and a deactivation switch, like my SF P111.

If Surefire would put that on the X-200, I would trade in both my ITI M3s and go for the X-200.

Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 2/6/2004 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the information guys! What battery type will the X200 use? How does the effective range of the X200 compare to a Surefire P111?
Link Posted: 2/6/2004 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/6/2004 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#6]
BF,
Thanks for the review.  Lots of great info.
Link Posted: 2/6/2004 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#7]
[img]http://www.pk-engineering.com/Size15/images1/x200-09.jpg[/img]

Two SF123A batteries.

I don't think it can be any smaller than it is unless they come up with a different battery.

Al
Link Posted: 2/6/2004 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I got to use a friends X 200 last night. It was beyond impressive.
Link Posted: 2/6/2004 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Here are some pics of mine. I LOVE this light. The diamond pattern is there, but I couldnt get it to show in a pic. I actually like that aspect of it.
That is an E2 for more size comparison.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/p84e77a06e507ac4dd7ceda4e27a9a233/f9b2a64f.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/p9e31c0c729c1ea35c80802c624194ff6/f9b2a65f.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/pf2a3db629c66cb666b0e5e3987398bd1/f9b2a693.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/p882f138e5daafa38b797605e9ce5781e/f9b2a69f.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid102/pf089f472c6dfe8df6bcab859714b8e18/f9b2a632.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 2/6/2004 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#10]
All I get is red "x" - no photos.

Here is the X200A and the L4 together:
[img]http://www.pk-engineering.com/Size15/images1/x200-04.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 2/6/2004 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Will there be a Milienium Universal Weaponlight version released at the SS?
Link Posted: 2/6/2004 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Brightflashlights is there a rail system  available like the Dawson Precision that will work on an older Springfield 1911 or will I have to get one of those cool Sig's like your brothers. Do you have the X200 in stock?

Quoted:
[I]BTW Shooter', I love that sig' line![/i]
View Quote

Thanks! I don't know whom to give credit to. I came to work one night several years ago and the Under Sheriff had wrote that and nasty note to a certain deputy on the chalk board.
Link Posted: 2/7/2004 4:19:19 AM EDT
[#13]
The Optic used by the X200A is the first release of this technology. I am certain that it will not be the last.

My personal opinion is that a bezel similar to the KL4 in size but using the optic technology will be made for the ScoutLight.
If I was calling the shots I would make a version to replace the Z32 shock isolated bezel next. Of course, this would fit a lot of SureFires if you could get it in black finish for Classic WeaponLights and HA for the M95 and M2 models.

Al
Link Posted: 2/7/2004 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/7/2004 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Great thread! Thanks for the info.[:D]
Link Posted: 2/7/2004 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#16]
I noticed the "Caution Hot Surface" (or something like that) markings on the X-200 bezel. What's the scoop? Does it heat up in "normal" use, or does it have to be on an extended period. How hot does it get?
Link Posted: 2/7/2004 1:53:34 PM EDT
[#17]
It gets hot when it's on. I've not measured it, but it doesn't feel any hotter than the KL4 bezel gets. Perhaps less, but hot. I expect bulb models to get just as hot. Of course, in normal use you won't be touching the bezel and I've been carrying the X200A round in my pocket for a couple months and I've not noticed it coming on in my pocket (like the L4 or E2 do if I don't Lock them out).

I believe all SureFire bezels now have these "Caution: Hot Surface" markings. Models like the X200A also have the "CE" and "FCC" logos too. The X200A has markings in two places telling you which way to insert the SF123A batteries. It's also serial numbered which is often very useful.

Al
Link Posted: 2/7/2004 8:40:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Many (most?) of the latest generation Surefire's have the "caution" markings.
Link Posted: 2/8/2004 12:11:38 AM EDT
[#19]
A gunsmith can add a weaver or picatinny rail to the bottom of a 1911 dustcover for $35 plus parts cost (Josh Halfman in Oregon.)
Link Posted: 2/8/2004 12:19:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Many (most?) of the latest generation Surefire's have the "caution" markings.
View Quote

LED's generally don't give off heat. Only very high-po applications would give off heat.

In LED's generally, if the LED is giving off heat it is a sign that the LED is being "over-driven". That means that less light is produced by the voltage introduced, compared to a non-over-driven LED. It also generally menas the LED's life is being shortened.

I have a 6-P/R with KL3 LED bezel, and "clickie" tailcap, it gives off 0 heat.

I have a 10X with a wavy lense, an M3, and an M500A. I know conventional lmaps give of great deals of heat, also known as wasted energy.

Just was wondering if the warning was one of those lawyer inspired things, or an actual charatersistc of the LED in that application.
Link Posted: 2/8/2004 3:34:48 AM EDT
[#21]
You are right that light from LEDs generally does not give off heat. However, the method of producing the light produces heat; a lot of heat. The thermal management of these "super LED" Luxeons is vital and yes, they will age faster if they are driven too hard or they get too hot.

SureFire's KL1 (1W Luxeon) and KL4 (5W Luxeon) bezels do get hot. Here is a collection of photos taken by Ricky Wrenn using a thermal imaging camera:
[img]http://www.pk-engineering.com/Glow%20Bug/Images1/KL4Infrared.jpg[/img]
It shows the L4 (KL4) and a peak of 73C inside the bezel.
The KL3 has a lot of mass and mass is the key to managing heat (conducting it away from the LED). Models that are small and without much mass will get hot very quickly if the LED has been placed such that the heat can be removed to the body. SureFire works very hard to achieve this. Another company, ARC, has gone so far as to protect the LED of the Arc4 model using a temperature sensor that switches off the light when it gets too hot.

The X200A using a LuxeonIII which I understand is being driven at spec in terms of current, and SureFire's experience with LEDs means the thermal management has been designed into it.

The 5W Luxeon has a lifespan of 5000 hrs I believe. At this point the output will have dropped to about half as I understand it. At the temperatures the KL4 runs after being on for some time, the lifespan may half or perhaps worse. It's very hard to tell because it depends on usage. The point is that even 1000 hrs or 3000 hrs is a very long time. Especially when people say that the P60 lasts about 25-30 hours. I've put over 45 hours of batteries through my A2 and it's still going strong.

These LEDs do not just die like bulbs can. I don't know what the nominal rated lifespan for the LuxeonIII is, but I was under the impression is was significantly more than 5000 hrs.

To conclude (and thanks if you're still reading!), my personal opinion is that the lifespan of SureFire LEDs is not something worth worrying about. They will last far longer than you'll ever need it to and can't break like a bulb can.

Al
Link Posted: 2/8/2004 5:05:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Al, now that was a lot of good info! Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/8/2004 8:00:18 AM EDT
[#23]
I posted what I understand to be the case. Certainly I don't know as much as I'd like to. There are people who know a lot more about what Luxeons can do and how to drive them - Mostly CPF members who do not visit such forums as this.

It's pretty complicated stuff and you may want to take what I've said and decide not to worry about it. However, if you find out something I've got wrong or whatever, please let us know!

Thanks

Al
Link Posted: 2/8/2004 8:36:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I dont believe the ARC4 switches the light off when it gets too hot it just limits the maximum power that the LED will produce out of its 13 brightness levels.  I really wish Surefire had this kind of technology in their LED weapon lights that will be coming.  It would allow the quivalent of a HOLA or LOLA at the click of a switch instead of swaping lamp assemblies like it is right now also if the HLOA setting casued too much heat it would flip over to the Lo setting.
Link Posted: 2/8/2004 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#25]
What is the reason for switching down to a light output that doesn't run as hot?

It's not a safety issue.

Isn't it an attempt to give the ability to overdrive the 1W Luxeon Arc is using without cooking it?

We have been using the KL4 for ages now and I've not read of a single failure and nothing related to over-heating. Of course, the KL4 and other SureFires could be pushed harder and then there would be reason to control the output with regards to thermal considerations.

The ability to switch between different levels of light output has something SureFire has been offering for many years (9N). Luxeons with electronics to regulated them have made it possible for two-stage switching and a choice of outputs.

At least one X200A has already been modified by a user so that if the switch is moved up rather than down you get high or low output.

I think that for a WeaponLight or TacticalLight it is vital that the operator has control over the output. Any mechanism that could reduce the output without warning could really screw things up for the operator.

I don't know how it works in reality but I would expect operators to install fresh SF123A batteries into their lights after each use or before each use. Just like I would expect them to reload their magazines(!). I guess I could be showing my total lack of experience here though.

The two features that I believe users of the X200A will find very useful are the instant on-off pressure switches and the regulated 90 minute runtime.
Taking for granted the robustness of the LED of course (which has to be the greatest advantage right?)

Al
Link Posted: 2/8/2004 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/8/2004 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You are right that light from LEDs generally does not give off heat. (brevity edit)

To conclude (and thanks if you're still reading!), my personal opinion is that the lifespan of SureFire LEDs is not something worth worrying about. They will last far longer than you'll ever need it to and can't break like a bulb can.

Al
View Quote

In other applications a life of 100,000 hours is often quoted for LED's. I just "guessed" that the X200 would be 5,000, based on the application, I don't get cable but sometimes I have ESPN [:D].

I also noted that peak temp in that test was 23 minutes (appx) into the test. I would also wonder if the bezel had "airspace" all the way around it, if it wouldn't have maintained a lower temp.

That is not how a light would be used "tactically". I was just wondering if the 6820 Safariland ultra-suede needed to be fireproofed.............
Link Posted: 2/8/2004 2:42:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Well 100,000 hrs for a 5mm LED could be achieved if you don't drive it so hard.
The Luxeons are another kettle of chips though. They are far more powerful and a candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long (and all that jazz)

The trouble with giving a rated lifespan for either a bulb or an LED is that realistic use is hard to "fast track" in the lab. I work for a testing lab with some products performing over a million fatigue cycles before failure, and others 20,000 cycles on the same test.
One of the most interesting aspects of my job is to test products in such a way as to replicate real world use (and often replicate a failure reported in the field). It is not easy.

One of the reasons why SureFire don't give a lifespan rating as defined as 65 Lumens is for output is because it's really hard to tell and when the lifespan is in the hundreds, thousands even of hours there just isn't enough data.

Like I wrote before, the good news is that LEDs just don't "go out" like bulbs do. They tend to just not produce as much light as they once did. I'm certain that SureFire will continue to advance the illumination technology so that in a couple of years (if not sooner?!) we'll have  moved on and forgotten about the Luxeon.

Al
Link Posted: 2/10/2004 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Good review.  BTT, too soon for this to go away. dg
Link Posted: 2/24/2004 4:30:12 AM EDT
[#30]
bump... to keep this around
Link Posted: 2/24/2004 9:56:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/24/2004 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Oh Yes! I certainly will...no neighbor is safe from the glare of that X200! [:D]
Link Posted: 2/27/2004 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#33]
SF said in Las Vegas that they are going to offer a single pad tape switch(I assume like the DEV Group) for this light
Link Posted: 2/28/2004 3:00:44 AM EDT
[#34]
This is the X200D -
[img]http://www.pk-engineering.com/Size15/images1/DSC02913.JPG[/img]
Inline pressure switch & the same ambidextrous switching as the "A". The inline switch fits under the trigger guard, and not against the grip like the "DG" switches in Military Series Handgun WeaponLights.

Al
Link Posted: 2/28/2004 3:42:40 AM EDT
[#35]
The "DG" inline pressure switch is this one:
[img]http://www.signaturegrade.com/images/3lights.jpg[/img]
Photo posted by Hilton Yam of TacticalForums.com

The X200 Series is very new and the options for switching are huge. If you would like to have a "DG" version rather than the "D" version of the X200, or a slimline pressure switch for a specific handgun, it would be a great idea to talk to SureFire Tech Support so they can pass your suggestion on.

Al
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#36]
I have just a few questions. First, at what distance will the x200 start to look blue? The bluish light will not recflect the "true" colors that the incans are able to, I think this is a disadvantage of the LEDs. When IDing  targets(with light), tenths or hendredths of a second count, the brain needs to recognize this new image quickly, so I want the "truest" reflection of the image as possible to speed up my decision, are LEDs able to do this as well as incan's white light? I have heard that LED lights are very robust, this is certainly true of the LED(s) itself, but what about the digital regulator? For the sake of this conversation, lets refer to the latest LEDs as "modern LEDs." These modern LEDs are largely untested, in any meaningful amount of time (like years). They are however a very exciting new technology, however, I think it will be at least a year or two before I rush out and replace my incans. Oh yeah, what is the retail price of the X200? I look forward to your replies.
Brice Burrell
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#38]
If I am understanding this correctly, there is no need for a shock isolated bezel on the X200, or is there one?

I used a L4 handheld briefly back in October, IIRC, I thought the light looked bluish much closer than 12-15 yards. It was however my first time using a modern LED, so could be mistaken.

Now I have to find someone to loan me a LED light to test out this LED bluish light vs. incan's white. It has peaked my curiosity, I just have to know!

I did think the X200 would be priced higher.
Brice Burrell
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Well, mine looks blueish at any distance really, but I cannot see a real issue with much of anything except very subtle color variations at closer ranges. No doubt, however, that the standard lamps give "truer" colors. At longer ranges, I believe that the Luxeon LED is less effected by vegetation, etc. "soaking up" light as happens with standard lamps...no proof, just a side-by-side comparison and my own opinion with some 30+ years of LE work, well over 3/4 of it outdoors, to go on. I was a little distracted at first, but I think I like this LED now. Time will tell, I suppose, but I'll have to get a second one for more testing as this one is going to a friend who is an active Canine handler in a VERY dangerous environment.
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 12:05:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Which is 'brighter', the X200 or the 6V P1xx Nitrolon lights?
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#42]
I just got mine today from Surefire for my Sig 220 ST.

There is a noticeable halo and the light is bluer than the standard Surefire lights.  Also, the beam is in the shape of a "diamond", as others have noted.  It's also brighter than my 60 Lumen E2E Surefire.  

From a 'light output' standpoint, I'm very happy.

On the downside, the light wasn't a great fit to the rails on my 220ST.  I had to unscrew the mounting rails on the X200 and nudge them all the way outward to get it to fit.  The light then fit tightly, but it's not parallel to the bore axis-- maybe 5-10 degrees canted upward.

Also, the piece on back that contains the switches won't stay closed.  The light is still functional since the trigger guard keeps it partially shut, however it's not waterproof any more.

Most of the folks here seem happy with theirs, so I guess I just wound up with a lemon.  I plan to call Surefire in the morning and get them to send me a replacement.
Link Posted: 3/2/2004 9:13:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Calvin: do you have a line on the "tape" switch for it?
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 6:12:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 8:40:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I just got mine today from Surefire for my Sig 220 ST.

There is a noticeable halo and the light is bluer than the standard Surefire lights.  Also, the beam is in the shape of a "diamond", as others have noted.  It's also brighter than my 60 Lumen E2E Surefire.  

From a 'light output' standpoint, I'm very happy.

On the downside, the light wasn't a great fit to the rails on my 220ST.  I had to unscrew the mounting rails on the X200 and nudge them all the way outward to get it to fit.  The light then fit tightly, but it's not parallel to the bore axis-- maybe 5-10 degrees canted upward.

Also, the piece on back that contains the switches won't stay closed.  The light is still functional since the trigger guard keeps it partially shut, however it's not waterproof any more.

Most of the folks here seem happy with theirs, so I guess I just wound up with a lemon.  I plan to call Surefire in the morning and get them to send me a replacement.
View Quote

Mine was a bitch to close as well, but I used a small flat screwdriver to help pry it up a bit. It'll get easier after a while.
Link Posted: 3/3/2004 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Mine was a bitch to close as well, but I used a small flat screwdriver to help pry it up a bit. It'll get easier after a while.
View Quote

I called Surefire today, and they said the slight cant upwards was normal, as their objective was to point the light up slightly to illuminate what is in front of the barrel.

Also, they are going to ship me a new replacement light.

This was the first time that I've had to return something to Surefire, and I was glad to hear that they stand behind their products.
Link Posted: 3/5/2004 5:11:39 AM EDT
[#47]
I got to play with a X200 yesterday and also speak with the surefire sales rep.  I personally think the light is extremely light weight, bright, and easy to operate.  I did notice the "halo" and the somewhat blueish tint.  The blueish tint looks similar to HID in german car headlights.  I asked the sales rep about the life of the led and he stated that I would never have to worry about it, and he knows I work nights, using a light every night, so I guess they are confident that it will last a while.
Link Posted: 3/5/2004 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#48]
how would you rate the m3x to x200?
Link Posted: 3/8/2004 5:29:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Never actually owned an M3, but just looking at the two lights side by side as well as hearing about the quality and reliability issues from LE users of the M3s, the X200 has my vote hands down.
Link Posted: 3/8/2004 5:36:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Never actually owned an M3, but just looking at the two lights side by side as well as hearing about the quality and reliability issues from LE users of the M3s, the X200 has my vote hands down.
View Quote

Passing both around at show-up briefing recently, and asking the patrol cops which one they want to use when our shift does the test run that will decide what the whole Department gets for tac light and holsters, they unanimously voted for the X200. In a side-by-side comparison, the M3 doesn't hold a candle to the X200.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top