Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2013 2:51:10 PM EDT
I searched and I don't think this has been asked before.  What exactly are the differences between the two slings?  Since both function the same way.....Is one or the other made specially for an M4?  And both do not come with a QD.  Would either of them be better served with the sling further out or closest to the upper receiver for maximum effect?   Tried to do a poll.  Having a hard time to install a poll for who the folks prefer.  Must be doing something wrong. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I settled on the Blue Force Gear VCAS. I use it with QD swivels mounted to the front and rear of the receiver. This setup works great for transitions to support side. I've never used the VTAC but I know you could use it the same way. Can't go wrong either way but try and get the padded version of whichever one you choose.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 3:46:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Huge fan of the VCAS. Much more "sturdy"  and less tendency to roll up when wearing body armor but a little less easy to adjust on the fly
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 4:54:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Padded VCAS here, but I still need to work out the swivels and mounting points to my satisfaction.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#4]
As someone who has both ill say while they are both quick adjust slings they do not function the same.

The vtac has more adjustment length available but at the expense of havin a tail that can either be attached to the sling or free hanging. When attached there is nothing keeping the tail from moving up and down the avilable length of sling between the adjuster and sling attachment stuff. It's a big loop ish thing that seems like it could snag on things. Sure the Velcro attachment will pull free, I just don't like the idea it could happen.  Pull the tail off and yank and you can cinch the rifle super tight, its awesome except for the now 2-3 foot tail that's hanging off your rig. You could use the Velcro cuff to attach the tail to the sling but then you have a big loop.  The adjustment buckle is no matter how I fucked with In the most awkward position every time. Just past my armpit almost on my shoulder blade. Tightening is quick as the tail is right there, making it loose had me hunting for the dongle on the adjuster buckle.  I had it figured out to where the adjuster buckle was more accessible but I had the buckle end so short it had very little adjustment range.

The vcas has no buckle, its a slider type. Similar to how a duffle bag carry strap adjusts. There is less range of adjustment compaired to the vtac. The padded version i have has slightly less range then the normal as the padding keeps you from pulling all the way tight. The slider has a like  4 inch tail that acts as the handle for the slider. It's go more matieral and loops around a couple times but the loops are kept taught and don't hang off the sling like they can with the vtac. It's slightly bulkier then the vtac.

The vcas is a better design in my opinion. The vtac's ability to cinch tight migh be a plus to a "operator" that needs to jump out a Blackhawk.

The savvy sniper quad sling is similar to the vcas, and can have factory sewn in attachment points. However the handle for the slider is a smaller fixed loop that seems likes it could get caught on shit.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I should also have stated which outfit sells VCAS and VTAC with QD mounted? Thanks for everybody's input.

Edit:   Never mind.  Found it.  Blue Force Gear.   Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I use the vtac. QD mounts on receiver plate and on some rail towards the end of my modular hand guard -- at the 10 o'clock position. You can adjust the vtac, and with some practice it will work quite well. However, the pull to cinch the sling is in a somewhat awkward position.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I have both, and the BFG VCAS is the better sling
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 11:55:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I also have both, padded and standard VCAS with metal adjustment sliders and padded VTAC with built-in heavy duty push button QD swivels LaRue Tactical version.

You could get the same as my built-in swivels padded VTAC from LaRue Tactical, it also have an additional side release buckle at the front end of the sling.

I like mine both but it depends what I'm going to do with my slings, if I'm on the move, walking, running, climbing, or using my hands more, I prefer to use my VTAC sling because it could be tightened snug  to the body and would not easily loosen.

If I'm shooting most of the time or my hands are on my carbine all or most of the time I prefer to use my VCAS which I don't tighten, my main use of it is to just retain my weapon to my side, muzzle down, while I use my sidearm.

Both my slings are mounted at the front near the front of the receiver and at the rear on the buttstock QD attach point, so when I let the weapon hang to use my sidearm, the barrel naturally hangs downwards.

Both these slings could be converted as a single point sling if you wish, by installing a lower receiver end plate QD mount and using a 2 to 1 point triglide convertible QD sling conversion adaptor (ref. links below).

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/category/plates/

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/category/mount-n-slot/sling-adapters/

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top