Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/11/2006 9:24:34 AM EDT

Disclaimer:  I'm not going for anything illegal, just something that doesn't scream "GUN!" in my backseat.  

What am I missing???
Are we paying too much for "covert" specialty bags?  It'd seem to me that any bag that can be used for baseball gear (*a bat bag) that's over 33" long should do just fine, no?  Anyone tried it?  Most of these bags are UNDER $30, and they'll hold some gear (hearing, eyes, ammo) as well as your CAR-sized gun.

Thoughts???  

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#1]
If it's not overpriced and tactical, it won't fly here!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:38:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Silly me... ... You're probably right, given some of the "high-flash/all-drag" "operators" lurking here...

Seriously, I think the only downfall would be the relative lack of padding on the bottom of the cheaper bags, but I didn't build my AR to be a safe queen, and it's not like it's gonna get dropped on concrete...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:54:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Those would work but don't forget people like to steal athletic gear too.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I use the bag that came with my portable fold up chair.
Works good no one suspects a thing
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:01:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I made one from a bat bag, like you are suggesting. It had a net pocket on the side that I put a ball and glove in. I made a hidden compartment (where the bats go) to hide the carbine. Is real neat and will take some pics to post when I get home.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:45:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Give it a shot, and take pictures.  I think its a great idea.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Those would work but don't forget people like to steal athletic gear too.  

Yep.  Laptop cases make a great, non-threatening carrier for a handgun/take-down rifle/AR pistol and accessories but - unfortunately - a laptop is almost as lucrative a target for theft as a firearm.

A lot of guys here like the cheap W*M guitar cases for ARs, FWIW (but the same qualifier may apply... ).
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1

Why wouldn't it work?  Also some tennis bags may work.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Why wouldn't it work?  Also some tennis bags may work.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#10]
OK Stick, here ya go.

This pic shows the exterior of the bag:

Here is a close up of my glove and ball in the net pocket on the side, adding to the "covertness" of the bag:

Here is a pic of the carbine that I carry in the bag:

This pic shows the opening to the "bat" portion of the bag, I'll explain the modifications I made to the bag in a minute:

Here is a pic showing the "bat" in the bag:

This pic shows the inside of the bat bag from the top with the carbine in its carrying pocket, you will note that there is no indication that a carbine in actually in the bag:

This pic shows the bottom of the bag where I bolted the tray that I made from some oak and auto carpet. I used the auto carpet to further hide the carbine pocket.

I simply made a 3-sided tray and slid it into the bat storage pocket and placed auto carpet on the top. When you open the top zipper, all you see is the auto carpet. The carbine is invisible until you open the bat compartment zipper.

I did this to protect the carbine. As purchased, the bat compartment had no padding or protection. You can put your accessories in the top compartment, such as ammo or magazines. This would, however, detract from the covertness of the bag.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#12]
the new UnderArmour Cage Bat bag works well too. you can even unfold it into a shooting mat!
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top