Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2013 9:41:45 PM EDT
Hey all,

I am trying to choose a rifle that will allow for a scope to be mounted on it. I find the A4 style receivers an attractive option as it allows for optics on the flat top and open sights via the carry handle.

My question is does the fixed front sight get in the way when a scope is mounted low on the flat top? Is it necessary to get high mounts to look over the front sight? Are there any best options for a setup like what I am looking for?

Thanks in advance.
-Matt
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 6:07:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Matt,
If you lift the scope above the front sight post, it'll be too high for most. Most of my rifles have FSBs but I hardly notice them when using optics. Yes, it is there but does not hurt the sight picture at all. Also, if using an Aimpoint, EoTech, 1x4, or 1x6   I can still use the weapon sight if the batteries or electronics fail.
See this thread

Back in the A1/A2 days, many of us mounted optics on top of the carry handle, so yes you can mount high and use it, but it throws off sighting by quite a bit when you start looking at line of sight as opposed to trajectory of the bullet. I much prefer to "tuck my optics low" for several reasons. Try it low first, and see if it is to your liking. I bet you'll hardly even know the FSB is there.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 8:34:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I mount a Nikon 4-16X on my Stag Model 2 and at 4x you wouldn't even know there was a FSB. Totally invisible. I haven't tried one but have read that a scope at 2x or even 3x you'll see the post. But at 4x and above you'll never notice it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top