Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2013 6:18:31 AM EDT
I am in the final stages of assembling a new 18" rifle with a Lothar Walther SPR barrel and can't decide what to do about optics for it.  I am either going to use a Trijicon ACOG TA01NSN 4x32 that I already own or go for a variable scope in the 2.5-10x range like an SWFA SS or Leupold Mk IV MR/T or VX-R.

I will either need to purchase a red dot for the rifle that the ACOG would be coming off of or purchase the variable, so at the end of the day there is really only a few hundred dollars difference.  What do you think?
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:26:09 AM EDT
[#1]
For precision, variable all the way.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:34:02 AM EDT
[#2]
the ACOG won't allow you to wring all the potential out of that barrel
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:35:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I must differ with the cry's for variable as I use a TAO1NSN and have found that to be extremely capable to ranges exceeding the cartridges abilities.

Magnification alone doesn't improve precision nor the apparent accuracy of the rifle.

This:

Shot this:

And this; Combined group shot at 300 and 400 yards:

So if your rifle like this rifle will hold it's rounds inside the crosshairs subtension, do you need more?

Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:46:11 AM EDT
[#4]
ACOGs aren't really considered precision optics i don't think.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:49:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I must differ with the cry's for variable as I use a TAO1NSN and have found that to be extremely capable to ranges exceeding the cartridges abilities.

Magnification alone doesn't improve precision nor the apparent accuracy of the rifle.

This:

Shot this:

And this; Combined group shot at 300 and 400 yards:

So if your rifle like this rifle will hold it's rounds inside the crosshairs subtension, do you need more?

most folks can't group like that with a 4x

eta: and no, it doesn't improve the accuracy of the rifle, but it makes it easier for the shooter to utilize it
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:50:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Nor can most rifles, but money and time spent learning how is better than trying to buy performance that might not exist in the package you choose.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:53:02 AM EDT
[#7]
while I love my TA01NSN I dont consider it a sniper scope.
it's serving me well on my DMR style rifle but for a SPR I would use something that offer more than 1/4 MOA adjustments
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 6:55:29 AM EDT
[#8]
At distance, I find more magnification gives ME the edge. That does not mean it can't be done (as a previous post shows), but bring the target up 2x,3x,4x times closer and most will find an advantage. ACOGs are great battle optics (in the right hands), but give me more power for longer range.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:04:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Both of my ACOG's have been replaced by a 1-4x and also a 2.5-10x. I'm a fan of variables.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:06:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:10:57 AM EDT
[#11]
As a long time hunter in wide open country, I feel there is no substitution for good optics and would choose a variable if accuracy and distance are what you are trying to achieve.  If you want to also be able to perform close quarter shots then some Rapid Transition Sights might be a good addition.

My .02
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

A scope can be doped for the range and will be more precise where as a acog relys on the gun ammo combo matching the reticle. So yes accuracy wont change, but precision of the shot will. A scope will always out do a acog in this facet.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 8:02:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I think the ACOG is a great optic, but for me they are not flexible enough.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I would go with a variable scope if it was my rifle.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I just exploded my mouse clicking on the variable power voting option.  There certainly is nothing wrong with ACOGs, but why limit your rifles capabilities(especially on a precision build)?  The variable power is much more versatile.  Can anyone name a single advantage an ACOG would have over a solid variable optic?  I could possibly see a weight/durability argument... but its a precision rifle, be nice to her and don't sweat however many minuscule ounces separate the two while she rests on a bipod.
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Can anyone name a single advantage an ACOG would have over a solid variable optic?

quicker shots, quicker range estimation.
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 9:50:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
the ACOG won't allow you to wring all the potential out of that barrel

This is true. The ACOG is a quick and "good enough" solution. The variable will offer more downrange potential.
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 9:58:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nor can most rifles, but money and time spent learning how is better than trying to buy performance that might not exist in the package you choose.

Shooting groups in a canned environment is one thing, adjusting for intermediate ranges, windage and atmospherics at extended ranges with precision is another. In this sense, shooting 400 yards KD is a chip shot.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top