Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/10/2012 5:08:00 PM EDT
Ok I am getting a PA red dot and a pvs-14 mono with Ldi Otal ir laser. Now how do I zero them together or what exactly do I do. Thank you
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems like it would be easy to zero one of them and then adjust the other so it aligns with the zerod one.
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd zero the red dot first and then line up the laser w/ it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#3]
So you could move/adjust laser
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 3:59:01 AM EDT
[#4]
can someone tell me i am not sure of how to do this.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 4:14:08 AM EDT
[#5]
1) Zero the red dot at the range you'd like it zero'd.
2) Align the laser with the red dot, at the range you'd like IT zero'd.  
3) Shoot.  A lot.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 4:48:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 6:15:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ok I am getting a PA red dot and a pvs-14 mono with Ldi Otal ir laser. Now how do I zero them together or what exactly do I do. Thank you

Just so that it is clear, you are getting the following items?
Primary Arms Red Dot Sight - which one?
PVS-14
LDI OTAL IR Laser

Many people zero their red dot optics at 50 yards. Are any of the Primary Arms red dot sights night vision compatible? I don't see that any of them have a night vision setting on their site. I would double check that. If they are not night vision compatible you could always get a Vortex StrikeFire or a Vortex Sparc because they are NV compatible. Primary Arms carries Vortex optics too. You could get an Aimpoint PRO for about $400 which is also NV compatible. I'm not a big fan of Eotechs, but I believe some of them are NV compatible too.

You have the option of zeroing your laser at any distance you wish. For instance you can zero it in at 50 yards, 100 yards, 200 yards, etc...

The PVS-14, to my understanding, can be mounted behind a night vision compatible red dot sight so you can see through  it at night and see the dot. You would want to make sure that the mount you use for the NV compatible red dot sight is the same height as the mount you use on the PVS-14 otherwise they will not line up properly. LaRue Tactical makes very nice QD mounts for the PVS-14. LaRue also makes very nice QD mounts for red dot optics as well. A QD mount would be beneficial for the PVS-14 so that you can easily and quickly remove & replace it.

Take your time and know what you want to buy before you buy it. There's nothing worse than not understanding what you need and receiving a bunch of stuff in the mail that will not work together.

Quoted:
can someone tell me i am not sure of how to do this.

Are you asking how to zero in a red dot sight? Red dot sights and scopes always have an elevation (up & down)  and windage (left & right) adjustments. Once the optic has been properly mounted to the weapon you walk out to a paper target, aim at the bullseye and fire a shot. Your bullet will likely not hit the bullseye. Now you make adjustments to the optic accordingly. When you click left, right, up or down you will be moving the POI (point of impact in relation to the red dot). After a few shots and a few adjustments your bullets will be impacting wherever you point your red dot.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 9:32:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Primary Arms Micro Dot with Removable Base and Killflash

ok what i am asking hopefully i am better wording it....

i know how to zero a red dot scope but when under nvg mono and ir laser on how do i know the laser is align with my red dot.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 11:37:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Turn the dot on to a low or NV intensity setting (not sure if the PA dot has this or not).  Turn on your NV after it's mounted behind the red dot optic.  Turn on you IR laser.  You'll be able to see both the dot from your PA optic and the dot from the IR laser.  Adjust the IR laser so the dots align.  All of this is best done at dusk...not completely dark but dark enough to see the IR laser.  After this you can remove the NV from the rifle and use a helmet mount.  If you plan on leaving your NV on the rifle you didn't really need the IR laser.  Hope this helps.

CMS
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#10]
kidn1980,

Glad to see you're moving forward with your setup!  Since your PA red dot is not NVG compatible, you'll need to zero your red dot and OTAL independently.  There was discussion on it last year in the lights and lasers section; I'll see if I can find the link(s).  If I recall correctly, none of the Army PEQ/PAQ offsets are a 100% match for your IR laser.  Offhand without the thread details, I believe the fastest method was to your red dot then setup your rifle for laser zeroing & use the daytime cap over your PVS-14 to align your laser with your red dot (use free eye, look through red dot, use PVS-14 over other eye to align laser to point of aim).

ETA: this would be done outside around sunset or indoors in a lesser illuminated area so you don't burn out your PVS-14 tube.  While it's durable, you don't want to needlessly damage your tube.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#11]
i will look to see if i could find the link as well thanks for the help again.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 12:36:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Also...even if the PA red dot isn't NV compatible....on it's lowest setting you're not going to burn the dot into the image tube in the 30mins or less it will take to zero your rifle.  As for offset you can ignore it entirely if you just go out and align your red dot and IR laser at the range you'll likely be using it.  Assuming it's a neutered IR laser, zero it at 25yds or closer and you'll be good.
Link Posted: 5/11/2012 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Are you mounting the NVD or using a head mount? Regardess you can also do it like this if you dont have access to a range that allows night usage; zero the dot at your range during daylight. At night, find a reference target that's at your zero range, take the upper off and place it on a solid surface (like a cleaning bench, deck rail, etc..) such that the dot is on the reference target (illuminate with a flashlight). Turn off flashlight; on laser and NVD, align to reference target without moving the upper (sandbags help).
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top