Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/29/2011 9:05:00 AM EDT
Does anybody own this scope ? I believe they are a Midway USA exclusive item. They have been pushing this scope very hard for the past several months with a low $150 sale price. The scope has a 5 star rating on Midway's website, based on 41 reviews. (I trust them to be more unbiased than some other large dealers.) However, I find it interesting that two of the most recent customer reviews only give it 1 and 2 stars. At this price, I have to assume it is made in China. QC issues maybe?

Any first-hand insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/29/2011 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#1]
BSA doesn't make great stuff.  It usually works ok, but it's not going to be Nightforce quality.  I'm guessing the glass isn't the best quality so images might not be so sharp.  It really depends on what your intended purpose is.  I wouldn't try to take it out to 1000 yards.

I do own one BSA red dot, but it's on a 12 gauge slug gun.  It works well to 100 yards for hitting deer, but it's not nearly that quality of my higher end red dot sights.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 9:20:23 AM EDT
[#2]
If it's going on a AR for putting holes in paper from a bench then you will be fine.
Anything else and I wouldn't trust it.
FWIW my Savage 10 had a BSA on it for a few years, it worked for deer hunting but it was definitely a lower quality scope.
Images aren't real clear at full magnification and tend to be cloudy.

If you want to stay on the cheaper end and still get a good optic, look at Bushnell, Nikon, Falcon and Vortex.
Also occasionally there will be a deal on EE but they go quick.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If it's going on a AR for putting holes in paper from a bench then you will be fine.
Anything else and I wouldn't trust it.
FWIW my Savage 10 had a BSA on it for a few years, it worked for deer hunting but it was definitely a lower quality scope.
Images aren't real clear at full magnification and tend to be cloudy.

If you want to stay on the cheaper end and still get a good optic, look at Bushnell, Nikon, Falcon and Vortex.
Also occasionally there will be a deal on EE but they go quick.

I agree.   My experience has been pretty bad with BSA.   If you want a cheap scope, go with a Nikon Prostaff.  

I had a BSA scope on my AR.   Pretty cloudy optics.   After about 200 rounds through the AR, my BSA would no longer hold zero.   I now use it as a spotting scope.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I certainly don't expect Nightforce quality from a $150 scope. I just want something cheap but reliable with high magnification for medium range target/varmint shooting. I would be mounting this scope on an AR-15 upper chambered in .204 Ruger. I don't expect to do much shooting past 400 yds.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top