Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2011 9:11:59 PM EDT

I had a beautiful 65 degree day today and decided not to waste it on yards work. I have been wondering ever since I got my SWFA SS 1-4X24 HD how it would perform on standard issue rifles in the field. Well I don't own current issue military rifles but I can come close. I used a standard Colt M4 civilian type with the 16 inch barrel, a Colt lower with a M16A4 upper and not having a SPR I used my RRA 24 inch Varminter. All these rifles are as they came from the factory. The RRA has the RRA two stage target trigger, the Colts have standard factory triggers. The ammo used was a handload using LC brass, Remington 7 1/2 primer and 24.1 grains of RL15 under a Hornady 75 grain HPBT. My intent was to work up drop tables with this handload and then use some of my meager supply of MK262 and some 62 grain handloads but I just flat ran out of daylight. The load was developed for the RRA Varminter and is sub moa in it according to my records. I went through nearly 250 rounds of these reloads working up the drop tables, sighting in and firing the groups in the photos. The weather was great with just a little breeze coming from 9:00 O clock. All shooting was done from the prone position over sand bags for the RRA and M4 and with a bipod for the AR15A4. All targets have five hits with the exception of the AR15A4 target at 700 yards which has only three hits out of five shots. The M4 at 500 yards target was a surprise. Call me a liar if you want because when I first saw it I almost called me a liar and I saw me shoot it. The group measured about 3 1/2 inches for 5 shots. I took some close ups of it as well. Before I allowed myself to get a big head I fired a second group and nope I could not do it again. I was suprised by the performance of the M4 and disapointed in the A4 but not all rifles like any given load. The RRA did about as expected.

Rifles Used

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

AR15A4 at 500 yards

AR15A4 at 600 yards

AR15A4 at 700 yards

RRA 24" at 500 yards

RRA 600 yards

RRA at 700 yards

M4 at 500 yards

M4 at 500 yards close up

M4 at 500 with tape

M4 at 500 second group

M4 at 600 yards

M4 at 700 yards

Link Posted: 4/1/2011 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks like a damn fine optic. I may have to check it out.
Link Posted: 4/2/2011 5:37:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Good review!  Looking for a good mid-priced optic.  Looking at everything from ACOG to a few like this.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2011 5:57:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I think that has wayyyy more to do with the shooter and much less to do with the optic
Link Posted: 4/2/2011 6:54:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Good review! Looking for a good mid-priced optic. Looking at everything from ACOG to a few like this.

Thanks. I first reviewed this scope in December, (see link) and I used a 7.62 LMT MWS for the long range work. Ever since then I've wondered how our Solders would fare with a 1-4 optic and standard issue weapons. This test is as close as I can come to finding out with the rifles I own. In the original review I used the A4 and M4 rifles to test this scope at short range and the results were very satisfactory. Now I'm not saying that 4X is optimal for longer ranges but neither is the 5.56 round. However, a 4-12X or 5-15X will be found wanting at close quarters. This scope is far more versatile than the ACOG type. In fact I got the SS 1-4 HD to replace a TA50-4 which I like but it lacks versatility. The photo below shows a 600 yard target using the TA50-4 ACOG on my A4 using a 69 grain hand load. The "red dot" performance of this scope at 1X and the mil dot with mil adjustments at 4X is a product of the FFP feature of this scope. It effectively allows you to "switch" reticles. The mildot IMHO is superior to the bullet drop reticles because the bullet drop type are ammo specific. If you take the time and ammo to make a drop chart and know your trajectory the mil dot can satisfactorily serve as a Bullet Drop reticle. Using the M4 I tried this on these targets and without touching a knob I was able to shift between targets fairly well. I would shoot at the 500 yard until I scored a hit and move back to 600 yards then 700 yards. I did not time it but I fired as fast as I could maintain correct form. I never got three shots for three hits doing this but I did get three hits for five shots once and got three hits for six shots several times. Windage was the challenge. You acquire equipment to perform a function. In this instance I am looking for an optic that offers the best obtainable performance from CQB range out to the effective range of the 5.56 round. The design that best facilitates this function is clearly superior. The SWFA SS 1-4X24 HD is the best I've found. I've owned ACOGs and a Trijicon TR24 and they are very good quality optics. I've tried the Vortex 1-4 pst and I liked it. I've tried the Burris 1-4, (sorry can't remember the model) and liked it. However, the combination of; glass quality, ruggedness, precision of adjustment, bold bright reticle design coupled with the FFP make the SS 1-4 the clear choice for me.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2242104&page=1

Link Posted: 4/2/2011 7:01:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I think that has wayyyy more to do with the shooter and much less to do with the optic

Thanks but I'm just an old varmint hunter who has tossed more than his own weight in bullets and prarie dogs over the past 40 years. However, I did take the on line training from Rifles Only over at Snipers Hide and found it well worth the money.
Link Posted: 4/2/2011 7:56:27 AM EDT
[#6]
What kind of supper is the M16A4 (brand wise)

Colt barrels are supposed to be very accurate, so I wouldnt be surprise if the 16" colt performed better then the 20" other brand barrel.
Link Posted: 4/2/2011 8:48:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What kind of supper is the M16A4 (brand wise)

Colt barrels are supposed to be very accurate, so I wouldnt be surprise if the 16" colt performed better then the 20" other brand barrel.

Upper and lower are both Colt. I have done better with the A4 with different loads. I'll be testing more because I intend for the SS 1-4 to find a home on this rifle.
Link Posted: 4/2/2011 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks but I'm just an old varmint hunter who has tossed more than his own weight in bullets and prarie dogs over the past 40 years. However, I did take the on line training from Rifles Only over at Snipers Hide and found it well worth the money.

I bet you slept at a Holiday Inn last night too lol
Link Posted: 4/2/2011 9:36:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bet you slept at a Holiday Inn last night too lol

Could have done. At my age it's hard to remember that far back.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top