Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 10/30/2010 3:13:30 PM EDT
Just ordered this...on sale right now at $299. They had it only in dark earth color before but now it's available in matte black. Looks like a great scope if it's even anything like the XTR...for cheaper. Will report feedback later.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=994114

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=460800

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114624&st=0

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/10/new-1x-4x-illuminated-burris-scope-for-multi-gun-shooters/#respond

MidwayUSA has teamed up with Burris Optics to produce a new scope that should be ideal for Multi-Gun competition. The new Burris Fullfield TAC30, sold exclusively thorugh MidwayUSA, features 1X to 4X adjustable magnification and a 24mm objective. The illuminated Ballistic CQ reticle provides hold-over points for the longer stages. The scope body is sealed and nitrogen-purged. Sean Doke, MidwayUSA’s Optics Manager noted: “We listened to our Customers and partnered with Burris to create a unique scope that met our customers’ requirements. The new Burris Fullfield TAC30 allows for rapid engagement of close quarters targets while also providing holdover points out to 600 yards.”

http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Large/994114.jpg
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Ok, I've seen several mini-reviews of this scope and they all say that the reticle is daylight visible and the glass is clean with true 1X. The "eye box" is supposed to be as big or bigger than a K-Dot.

I'm buying one dangit! Will y'all kindly stop making me spend money.
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#2]
if its daylight visible I'm in!

I'm gonna try to get one for review....
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
if its daylight visible I'm in!

I'm gonna try to get one for review....

About damn time!  
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I see no reason why it wouldnt be day time visible , it is the same reticule as whats in my ar322 and red and green both are visible at high noon  and I can assure you the range where I shoot is just right to be wrong when it comes to the sun.  I ended putting my 322 on my dedicated 22lr tac-sol upper and when hunting squirrels the optic does not wash out against the sky or leaves  in red or green
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 8:01:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got one of these last weekend, the coyote tan version, and mounted it on in a Burris P.E.P.R mount. It replaced my eotech xps2-0, and I'm glad I made the change, this is a great high value scope. Its in this video   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWryNuntho4   and i will be reviewing the scope exclusively soon if anyone wants to see it in more detail.
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I just got one of these last weekend, the coyote tan version, and mounted it on in a Burris P.E.P.R mount. It replaced my eotech xps2-0, and I'm glad I made the change, this is a great high value scope. Its in this video   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWryNuntho4   and i will be reviewing the scope exclusively soon if anyone wants to see it in more detail.

How is the glass?
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#7]
It's my first scope that I didn't buy from wal-mart so I don't have much to compare it to high-quality wise. The illumination has plenty of adjustment, and is easily seen in bright sunlight. At 1x its not quite as clear as my Eotech was shooting both eyes open, but is still easily done there is just a very slight blur. It seems to pick up a lot of light and its very clear at any magnification. I played around with a Millet DMS 1-4 at the local gun shop, and this scope is superior in every way.
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 10:00:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's my first scope that I didn't buy from wal-mart so I don't have much to compare it to high-quality wise. The illumination has plenty of adjustment, and is easily seen in bright sunlight. At 1x its not quite as clear as my Eotech was shooting both eyes open, but is still easily done there is just a very slight blur. It seems to pick up a lot of light and its very clear at any magnification. I played around with a Millet DMS 1-4 at the local gun shop, and this scope is superior in every way.

You may need to adjust the reticle focus with the ring at the back of the eyepiece.
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 2:49:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Blur gone, thanks
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#11]
About damn time!  

That's what I was thinkin!  So i called MidwayUSA this morning to order one.  Spoke to a lovely 'Camile'...poor little sweetie must've got some rocks while out trick or treating last night.  Looking forward to checkin out the optic!  Hope she didn't put a curse or hex on the damn thing

Link Posted: 11/3/2010 1:16:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm going to order one too.  If I don't like it I guess I can always try it's big brother, the XTR.
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Bare with me, as I just got it in the mail and these are my quick initial feelings/views. I'll report more later as I'm about to head back to work now...

Very well made and sturdy. Reticle and illumination is daytime visible except in the brightest of bright sun against a white wall! Push-button illumination on and off...hold button for 5 seconds to turn off, push to turn on. 30mm tube, glass etched reticle, and 2nd focal plane. Reticle is off the Burris 332 optic and is ranging up to 600 yards. At 1x power, it is a "true" 1x from about 10 yards and beyond. Glass is very clear and bright, and HUGE field of view at 1x. Good compact length at 10.25 inches long. Entire rear eyepiece turns while adjusting magnification for easy to grip access. Keep in mind it does have a large 3.6MOA center dot so it's not exactly for precision shooting, but for anything else, it's great.

This scope is just tons better than the Nikko Stirling 1-4x24 that it's replacing in all areas. That's going back to Midway for a refund after only 2 weeks. I've also owned a Weaver 1-3x20 and a Millet DMS 1-4x24 a few years back just to give you an idea of my experience with low powered scopes. This is leaps and bounds ahead of all those. For $299 on sale now at midway...I highly recommend it. Looks to be a great scope for a CQB/midrange combat/3 gun rifle. Taking it out to the range soon!

Here's an update pic of the rifle with a recent makeover from buttstock, bipod with mount, Midwest Industries T12 rail, and Daniel Defense offset mount for the Primary Arms microdot.

http://healthbydon.com/ar15burris1.jpg

http://healthbydon.com/ar15burris2.jpg
Link Posted: 11/7/2010 4:56:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought the FF30 TACT 1X4 scope and wanted the brown glad to see a scope come in more than Henry Ford's color.  I went with a PEPR Burris scope mount for my AR and  put it on the rifle.  Nice scope very clear glass and really like the push button on/off button instead of usual twist like Aimpoints.  I have an IOR 1.1X4 to compare with and it has more FOV than the IOR.  Glass is clear and easy to rotate from 1 to 4.  Have to get it to the range soon and zero it.  Made in Phillipines not China.  Elevation and windage are covered  but can remove caps and adjust with fingers easy and have a good solid click if you don't hear you feel it.  Eye relief is well over 3 inches nice scope so far will zero it soon.
Link Posted: 11/7/2010 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Very interesting.  I'd really like to see how the less expensive 1-4s stack up.  You know, GRSC, SWFA SS (when available), Burris, etc. stack up.
Link Posted: 11/7/2010 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm tempted to try one of these out since it looks to address some of the shortfalls of the DMS-1 scope.  Mainly the daylight visible illumination, and haveing some BDC in the reticle.  Wonder how it compares weight wise?

Think I'll wait on some more reviews to hit the web to see how it's working out for folks.  I'm also interested in the Vortex 1x4 that is soon to hit the market, but don't feel I really need the turrets, and it's a chunk more expensive.  Will have to see.
Link Posted: 11/7/2010 1:47:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Very interesting.  I'd really like to see how the less expensive 1-4s stack up.  You know, GRSC, SWFA SS (when available), Burris, etc. stack up.

I thought the Super Sniper 1-4x was expected to be in the $700+ range?  I could be misremembering though.
Link Posted: 11/7/2010 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I thought the Super Sniper 1-4x was expected to be in the $700+ range?  I could be misremembering though.

Me too, plus it looks like early 2011 before it is available.
Link Posted: 11/7/2010 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm tempted to try one of these out since it looks to address some of the shortfalls of the DMS-1 scope.  Mainly the daylight visible illumination, and haveing some BDC in the reticle.  Wonder how it compares weight wise?

Think I'll wait on some more reviews to hit the web to see how it's working out for folks.  I'm also interested in the Vortex 1x4 that is soon to hit the market, but don't feel I really need the turrets, and it's a chunk more expensive.  Will have to see.

I just received this to replace my Millet.  I have not shot it yet, but there is no comparison.  The eye relief, the field of view, and the clarity of the glass is not even in the same universe as the Millet.  They say ignorance is bliss, and that was certainly the case for me with the Millet.  I can't believe I had that on my rifle.  That's how much better I think this is.  Range day will be Friday.
Link Posted: 11/7/2010 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just received this to replace my Millet.  I have not shot it yet, but there is no comparison.  The eye relief, the field of view, and the clarity of the glass is not even in the same universe as the Millet.  They say ignorance is bliss, and that was certainly the case for me with the Millet.  I can't believe I had that on my rifle.  That's how much better I think this is.  Range day will be Friday.

Reviews like this will definately sway me.  From the reading I've done so far, the Burris is a lot more forgiving of your cheek weld positioning making for faster shots, that's a big plus.

Keep the input coming, I may just have to order one of these sooner rather than later.
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 8:53:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I'd like to see a sub-$400 roundup: Burris, CMR, DMS-1, GRSC, Mark AR etc.

Still waiting on the PST to do a XTR vs PST thread.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I just received mine from Midway and it appears to be well made, great clarity, wide FOV, and very bright, albeit somewhat busy, reticle.  I should have a mount by early next week and will report back after a range trip.  This is my first low-end optic and I am quite impressed with the initial and apparent build quality.  The optic resembles a USO SN-1 in appearance, yet lighter like say a Nightforce NSX 1-4.  My plan is to eventually run it on a 12" ACR.

Cheers
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I just received mine from Midway and it appears to be well made, great clarity, wide FOV, and very bright, albeit somewhat busy, reticle.  I should have a mount by early next week and will report back after a range trip.  This is my first low-end optic and I am quite impressed with the initial and apparent build quality.  The optic resembles a USO SN-1 in appearance, yet lighter like say a Nightforce NSX 1-4.  My plan is to eventually run it on a 12" ACR.

Cheers

I agree....the reticle is a little busy but functional...

http://burrisoptics.com/images/ballistic_cqreticle_dia.jpg
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 10:35:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Zeroed mine yesterday.  The huge fov is great.  The clarity was good too.  The 2 moa dot was easy to pick up on targets rom 15-50 yards.  Shooting poppers was easy and fun.
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#25]
I got mine last week.  Got it mounted up in a Bobro extended mount.  This is my first experience with 1-4x optics.
Anyway...my observations:  Appears well built, love the color!  It goes great on an FDE build. The magnification ring is the entire rear objective...so there is plenty surface from which to adjust. The power settings on the FDE color do not contrast, so they're hard to see.  The lens on the front is set back pretty well to prevent lens damage.  The elev/wind adjustments are positive both heard and felt.  I kinda like the push-button illumination switch (but the standard dial would be better).  It's definately daytime visable!
Eye relief is forgiving, prolly 3-4" as well as the exit pupil allows for some head movement while still maintaining a sight picture.  The glass is pretty damn clear!!
About the only thing I'm noticing is a slight fish-eye distortion on 1x and it appears to be more like a 1.1x.

Overall I'm very happy with the optic I got for what I payed!!!!
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 4:39:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
About the only thing I'm noticing is a slight fish-eye distortion on 1x and it appears to be more like a 1.1x.

Have you looked through it at objects further, ie 20 yards and beyond? Mine definitely looks like a "true" 1x at further distances. Up close, all 1x-Xx powered scopes will exhibit some fish eye and slight magnification. It's the nature of the beast. Also, have you played with the eyepiece focus to get your sight image "true" with both eyes opened? Once you get that dialed in, it'll be great!
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 5:03:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Also, have you played with the eyepiece focus to get your sight image "true" with both eyes opened?

Yes, I've played with it ...but now I'm wonderin'?  Adjust eyepiece so the reticle is in focus, then use BAC & focus on the environment.  Right?
This is how I have it currently.  Let me know if I'm nuts
Link Posted: 11/10/2010 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Also, have you played with the eyepiece focus to get your sight image "true" with both eyes opened?

Yes, I've played with it ...but now I'm wonderin'?  Adjust eyepiece so the reticle is in focus, then use BAC & focus on the environment.  Right?
This is how I have it currently.  Let me know if I'm nuts

You're nuts!!

No you've got it right. But I didn't so much as adjust until reticle was in focus, but rather adjusted until objects like trees, cars, etc looked natural in size and sight picture to me with both eyes both. I feel if there's even a very slight variation in focus/magnification between both eyes, it confuses your brain and distorts your overall image with the minute variance. So I'd rather just adjust to what looks natural as if I was not even looking through a scope.
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 2:41:15 PM EDT
[#29]
What kind of battery does it take?
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 5:45:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What kind of battery does it take?

Your regular standard CR2032
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#31]
For me the downside to all of these newer 1-4x are the 3+ MOA center dots. With this reticle and the donut, why not do a 1 MOA center dot like EOTech? Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 11/18/2010 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
For me the downside to all of these newer 1-4x are the 3+ MOA center dots. With this reticle and the donut, why not do a 1 MOA center dot like EOTech? Am I missing something?

Ballistic CQ Reticule
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 4:59:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ballistic CQ Reticule

Thanks for the link, I had been looking for that. Okay, so it's 2.4 MOA. Still would love to see it at 1 MOA.

Link Posted: 11/19/2010 8:44:13 AM EDT
[#34]
any factory fde 30mm mounts?
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Anyone when the sale ends?
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 1:39:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Anyone when the sale ends?

Cant remember the exact date but its the end of Nov.
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have seen some FDE ADM Recons and Scouts, they are not pictured on their site but they are on Bravo Co. adds. Might have been just a special run. But a DE scope in a Blk mount on a Blk rifle looks good.
Link Posted: 11/19/2010 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Noveske has some in stock. This is the mount I am using. It matches my N4 very well
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 4:15:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Noveske has some in stock. This is the mount I am using. It matches my N4 very well

Temporarily Out of Stock  

:BANGS HEAD:
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I have been shooting iron sights with a BUIS and standard front post on my AR-15 carbine for over 5 years waiting to make a move into optics.  This sounds like a great place to start and I liked the option o f 1-4 power.

I have read about the EoTech and Co-witness, but how does the Burris scope at these powers interact with a stanard AR-15 ft post.  I would go with the Aerican Defense Recon Quick-Release Extended Scope Mount Picatinny-Style with 30mm Rings for the mount.

Any advice appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 5:57:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Temporarily Out of Stock  

Thats funny. It was in stock when I posted the link. Someone must have seen this thread and got it before you.

ETA: Just keep an eye out, I know when I placed my order it said out of stock afterwards. I bet they only keep one or two on hand and then order more when necessary. I also bet if out call them they would let you "backorder" it that way when it gets there in a week or two it will ship right out to you.
Link Posted: 11/20/2010 9:13:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Thats funny. It was in stock when I posted the link. Someone must have seen this thread and got it before you.

Yup, that would be me and that is exactly what happened.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 5:05:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, that would be me and that is exactly what happened.

HA! Quick on the draw, you are.
Link Posted: 11/21/2010 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Temporarily Out of Stock  

I may have had something to do with that.  I had a lot of inquiries about Noveske/ADM mount after posting SCAR 17s pics....

SCAR pics thread

It's a nice combo.

Cheers

Link Posted: 11/21/2010 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#45]

i agree. The colors match up well enough, I honestly dont care about the optic itself. LOL

Link Posted: 11/22/2010 5:52:57 AM EDT
[#46]
I mounted one up Sunday and went to the range......

Good:
1.  Glass is bright.  I am impressed, but then again, this is my best scope.
2.  I like the reticle even more than I thought I would.  The day was cloudy, but the red is very likely daylight visible.
3.  The zoom has short travel compared to my DMS.
4.  Mounted in a Burris PEPR, there is clearance for Magpul MBUS.

Not so good:
1.  As others have stated, the illumination switch takes some getting used to.
2.  The eye piece rotates when you change power.  This means if you have a flip up scope cap, then it will rotate also.  My DMS does not rotate when power is changed.
3.  The zoom adjustment is knulred, but no raised area to really grasp.

Cat tails are available for the XTR 1-4.  Does anyone know if they will fit this scope or if a cat tail is on the market for it?  I think it needs one.

Overall, I am happy with the purchase.
Link Posted: 11/23/2010 5:56:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Cool!!!
Socommatthews just sold me his!
Paid and sent you another making sure it is 30mm

thx
Link Posted: 11/23/2010 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

if you didn't buy it from walmart.. you got ripped off..:D

Link Posted: 11/24/2010 7:30:48 AM EDT
[#49]
I'm dying to see a comparison of this to the XTR. I'm torn between the two.
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 7:51:55 AM EDT
[#50]
The only thing I would be interested in is how it compairs to the Leatherwood CMR, since it is better than anything else in price range.  I think the CMR rectile looks better, the illumination can get washed out in full sun, but you have a very nice thick black horseshoe that is easy to pickup for close range, and a 1 MOA dot... along with ablity to measure things in mils and still has a BDC that goes out to a longer range.  The 3x as much XTR is barely better optically, so hard to imagine the budget Burris is to be much better than a CMR.  The CMR eye box is tight... its main flaw.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top