Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2010 5:56:56 AM EDT
As i am on a strick goodie budget, I was looking around the web and came across a made in China replica of the EOTech 552 red/green. has anybody had experience with replicas and would it be worth trying out? if it is junk I wont be out too much. as I don't get to do the ammount of shooting I would like to, It would not get abused too much. any advice/suggestions would be great
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 6:04:00 AM EDT
[#1]
The primary arms aimpoint clones are way better for around the same price point.
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 7:16:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I do not own one, but I have seen posts about them here. Complaints are that they are not true Holos, just a conventional red dot made to look like an Eotech, they are not bright enough for outdoor use, don't hold zero, and blink under recoil. Some people have said they are good enough for range use, but personally, I would go with the better reviewed Aimpoint style sight from Primary arms, as stated above.

Primary arms also has a real Aimpoint for $369, or you could cruise the sale boards. If you have your heart set on an Eotech (that's what I use) they can be had for as little as $350 new, and High two-hundreds used.

If you are on a strict budget, but want a good sight, remember that if you spend $90 on a cheap sight, and then spend $400 on a good one a few moths later, you have now spent $490 on a good sight, and have a useless paperweight.
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 8:05:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Keep an eye on the EE, I've seen EOTech's and Aimpoint's going for as low as $250. They don't last long but they are out there. The Primary Arms Aimpoint clone is a pretty solid alternative as is the Vortex Strikefire. The Strikefire also has a lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Not worth it. I bought one to play with for a project gun I was working on.

It held zero fine, but in any amount of light the reticle washed out badly. It was fine for bench shooting where you could take your time to find the reticle, but for run and gun type competition where you need to be able to pick up the reticle on a moments notice it wasn't suitable.
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 3:01:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 4:38:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, sounds like its not worth the savings. I will just save my pennies and get the real thing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#7]
My 552 never missed a beat.
The thing about the cloned Eotech's is they are not holographic. It's like a tradition cheap red dot.
I bought an Aimpoint clone for a .22 once. It held zero ok but the reostadt started loosing settings after the second range trip.
By a used Eotech.
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#8]
All the real EOTechs I've owned (512 through the XPS series) have worked FLAWLESSLY, and that's on duty rifles as well as personal use.  As far as replicas, don't waste your money, they have nothing in common with the real thing except the pirated shape.  They use cheap LEDs instead of lasers, most of the LEDs are "secured" by electrical tape, they wash out in average daylight, the glass is drinking glass quality, and most of them either have canted reticles or mount canted on the rail.  I've gotten a couple in trades and looked at some friends' ones, so I'm not just parroting what others say.

I would just hammer the EE and other sales sites, and wait for a real one to come along at a price you can afford.  With the XPS/EXPS series becoming so popular, a lot of the older ones are showing up at really good prices.  If you can't wait, I'd go look at what Primary Arms has to offer.  In my experience, very good quality for the price, they work, and are backed-up with service next-to-none.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 5:22:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Real EoTechs shit the bed on a regular basis.  Can't imagine a replica would be worth the plastic its made of.

Any opportunity to kick EOTech, huh?

Link Posted: 9/19/2010 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 11:32:33 AM EDT
[#11]
I was a pretty staunch Eotech defender until I had some problems too.  My 552 experienced the blinking out in a class about an hour after I turned it on. The new energizer batteries had been in for 2 previous days at the class.  The reticle did blink indicating the battery needed changing but to start dying within an hour of that says they need some better power management.   My 552 has also been back for repair twice for not being able to come up to full brightness which would cause the reticle to wash out in bright daylight.

I just ordered an aimpoint micro.  

For the OP:

I bought a primary arms micro clone to test if I liked the little sights and it has performed very well.  I will likely buy a couple more for my range rifles.
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 4:42:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Real EoTechs shit the bed on a regular basis.  Can't imagine a replica would be worth the plastic its made of.

If you have seen what I've seen, you would be singing the same tune.  Practically all of SOCOM is fed up with EOTech.  If some guys have them and they work fine, good on them.  But between EO and Aimpoint, there is no comparison.  I know a lot of cops who have them too.  They put them on their duty rifles and say they work great.  But, their usage and training schedules are far less than they should be and when push comes to shove, they don't hold up.  This is even true for SWAT.  I'm not bashing cops at all.  Just saying most departments don't have the budget to give their officers as much trigger time as they need.  When these same cops show up to high-intensity training classes (as in 3x 12-hour days straight), their EOTechs shit the bed.  I've seen one EOTech complete a three day carbine class.  And that's not to say that a class is anywhere near as intense as the real thing.  On the other hand, I've seen one Aimpoint fail in training and that was because it was an original issue Comp M2 from 1997 that had been in service for 11 years.  

In police work, this is called "a clue."

Well and good, but what does any of that have to do with the OP's questions about a knockoff sight?  If's like answering a question about a Colt with a reply of how shitty your Bushmaster was.

Link Posted: 9/20/2010 5:10:31 AM EDT
[#13]
All he said was the OP should steer clear of fake EOTechs because of problems even with real ones. That's a direct answer to the OP's question. You're the one who started shit.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have seen what I've seen, you would be singing the same tune.  Practically all of SOCOM is fed up with EOTech.  If some guys have them and they work fine, good on them.  But between EO and Aimpoint, there is no comparison.  I know a lot of cops who have them too.  They put them on their duty rifles and say they work great.  But, their usage and training schedules are far less than they should be and when push comes to shove, they don't hold up.  This is even true for SWAT.  I'm not bashing cops at all.  Just saying most departments don't have the budget to give their officers as much trigger time as they need.  When these same cops show up to high-intensity training classes (as in 3x 12-hour days straight), their EOTechs shit the bed.  I've seen one EOTech complete a three day carbine class.  And that's not to say that a class is anywhere near as intense as the real thing.  On the other hand, I've seen one Aimpoint fail in training and that was because it was an original issue Comp M2 from 1997 that had been in service for 11 years.  

Well and good, but what does any of that have to do with the OP's questions about a knockoff sight?  If's like answering a question about a Colt with a reply of how shitty your Bushmaster was.

Link Posted: 9/20/2010 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I've heard a rumor that L3 is going to contract out to the Swede's to build the EOtech.  This should take care of all the horrible failures.
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't bring Bushmaster into the rant please.
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 1:17:51 PM EDT
[#16]
run

replicas

RUN
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
run

replicas

RUN

Already runnin.

Link Posted: 9/21/2010 5:19:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
All he said was the OP should steer clear of fake EOTechs because of problems even with real ones. That's a direct answer to the OP's question. You're the one who started shit.

It's anything but a "a direct answer to the OP's question", and if you don't see that I can't help you.

Link Posted: 9/21/2010 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Thread has gone way off-topic
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top