Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/5/2010 7:53:11 AM EDT
I want a spotting scope I can see .22 holes at 300-500 yards with.  I've looked and it seems like the standard powers are 20x60 with a 60mm objective lens.  Is this enough power to see holes on targets out to 500 yards?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:45:48 AM EDT
[#1]

I have an 80mm lens for a Fujinon super 60, that you can make out holes at 500.

You'll get a headache from doing it though.  The depth of field on an 80 mm lens is about one inch.  

The tripod you use had better be rock solid or you'll never focus it.  I use a Gitzo Tele Studex, one of the best tripods out there and it's just good enough.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#2]
For .22 holes at 500 yards, I'd look at the larger 80mm objective spotters.  If you are on a budget, the Konus Konusport 80 might be your best bet.  If you want to by a nice one, look at a Pentax or Kowa.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:37:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I own the 80mm Konus, and it does pretty well for the money. However, I really don't think it will resolve .22 holes at 500 yards.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:34:39 AM EDT
[#4]
seeing 22 or 30 cal holes beyond 300 in paper targets, not going to happen. Mirage makes it a real bitch.

This with a fixed 27x Kowa TSN-823M.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:44:55 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.6mmbr.com/targetcam.html

Ther is a target camera set out there on the internet, but I can't find it now.  Seems to me it was about 1K for a thousand yard version.

There is a video of it on Youtube but is doesn't identify the maker.  Search for "Target Camera".

Hal
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top