Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/11/2010 8:37:12 AM EDT
My Primary Arms 1-4X 24 Illuminated Scope arrived yesterday and to my surprise it looks just like the Millet DMS-1 I have.  Even the spare battery and the cheap lens caps are the same.  The only difference is the reticle, millet has a donut & dot and Primary Arms is a typical cross hair.  Does anybody know if they from the same manufacturer?
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 8:56:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My Primary Arms 1-4X 24 Illuminated Scope arrived yesterday and to my surprise it looks just like the Millet PMS-1 I have.  Even the spare battery and the cheap lens caps are the same.  The only difference is the reticle, millet has a donut & dot and Primary Arms is a typical cross hair.  Does anybody know if they from the same manufacturer?

I suppose anything is possible, but I doubt either PA or Millet will disclose proprietary information.  

Do a side-by-side comparo for us, with pics, please.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the Millet and my range partner has the Primary Arms. They are 100% identicle except for the reticle. No doubt the same scope made in the same factory. Huge difference in price. I wish I had bought the Primary Arms and saved the $$$.
Link Posted: 5/11/2010 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Huh. Interesting. Thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 3:30:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like they were made at the same factory.  How do you like the PA scope?  I'm in the market for a variable low power scope.  Trying to narrow my choices down between Pentax, Swift, Konus, Bushnell, and Burris.  The price of the PA scope w/basic mount is very appealing at $150.
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 4:05:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought that it was decided that the PA was made on the same scope body quite a while ago?

Quoted:
Looks like they were made at the same factory.  How do you like the PA scope?  I'm in the market for a variable low power scope.  Trying to narrow my choices down between Pentax, Swift, Konus, Bushnell, and Burris.  The price of the PA scope w/basic mount is very appealing at $150.

You neglected to mention the Leatherwood CMR and the Vortex Viper PST. Just thought I'd add some more confusion to your decision.
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 4:13:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I thought that it was decided that the PA was made on the same scope body quite a while ago?

Quoted:

You neglected to mention the Leatherwood CMR and the Vortex Viper PST. Just thought I'd add some more confusion to your decision.

I forgot about Vortex.  Have to check out the Leatherwood too.

Link Posted: 5/12/2010 5:06:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Sort of off topic, but the leatherwood has very short eye relief and is difficult to mount on an AR. IF you look the leatherwood web page, they show it mounted with one ring on the receiver, and one out on the free float tube. Weird, and not even an option for those w/o a FFT.
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 5:18:47 AM EDT
[#10]
The Millett DMS shown in the above pictures is not the latest generation.  I think the PA does match the Gen 1 or 2 Millett, but not the Gen 3.  The latest DMS has a tall elevation adjusment tower.  It looks like the PA does not.  Otherwise, I do think they are made in the same factory.
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 6:35:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Sort of off topic, but the leatherwood has very short eye relief and is difficult to mount on an AR. IF you look the leatherwood web page, they show it mounted with one ring on the receiver, and one out on the free float tube. Weird, and not even an option for those w/o a FFT.

Did not know that.  Good to know.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 5/12/2010 6:44:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

it says 3" on their website.  thats not "very short" IMHO.  thats normal.
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 6:47:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So would the PA or Burris PEPR mount work with a leatherwood?

ETA:  Would be mounted on flat top 16" AR-15.

Link Posted: 5/12/2010 6:49:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

yes it will

towards the bottom of this page is a review of that exact combo.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=421244&page=10
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 8:50:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Short eye relief is potentially better on an AR. Look how comically far forward the DMS needs to be mounted if you shoot NTCH.

Edit- The shorter eye relief might account for the slightly larger FOV.
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Very interesting...

I've been leaning towards a Millett but I would really like to see a review of the new Leatherwood scope.
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 9:40:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes it will

towards the bottom of this page is a review of that exact combo.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=421244&page=10

Thanks for the link.  Very good reading here.

Link Posted: 5/12/2010 9:43:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/12/2010 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We offer our mount is a standard or extended version. Extended works best for NTCH. You can center the scope in the rings and have plenty of room to get a good position.

PA Deluxe extended on left, PA deluxe standard and PEPR.  Railed top caps are a option with the PA.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/marsh2001/Compare.jpg

Thanks for the pic.

Link Posted: 5/13/2010 2:18:10 PM EDT
[#20]
So, the Konus M30 I just got looks remarkably similar to both of these scopes.  Again the reticule looks almost exactly the same as the Primary Arms except it has a true 30/30 cross.  I will say that the Konus is very very clear, but now I am wondering if all these scopes are the same.  The only thing the Konus seems to differ on is that it doesn't have a spare battery holder and the turrets are different.  For what I paid for it with the lifetime warranty, I am quite happy.  But if I was paying the list price and then saw this post, I would be pissed.

Mortis...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top