Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2010 6:09:50 AM EDT
Anyone know of a cheaper but still decent way to mount a scope on a AR with a fixed front sight? I bought a scope to play around with to see if I want to go build towards that direction and am curious if there is a preferred way to mount a scope when using a fixed front sight? I have seen risers, but I was curious if anyone makes mounts for this application?

thanks,
Link Posted: 4/22/2010 7:26:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/22/2010 8:16:17 AM EDT
[#2]
It's not cheaper than a riser and rings, but American Defense, Bobro, or LaRue all make excellent one piece scope mounts specifically for the AR-15.  They are all quick detach, and give you the perfect height for your proper cheekweld.

Link Posted: 4/22/2010 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Anyone have some specific examples of what they believe will work? I did see some 1" High Rings, would this allow me to raise the scope center above the fixed front site?
Link Posted: 4/22/2010 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#4]
what magnification is the scope.  anything with the slightest magnification like 2.5x for example and you wont even notice the FSB.  I have a 3-9 on one rifle with a standard FSB and at 3x you don't see it.  On my other one with a 2.5x you see just a very faint blur but i see right past it.  This was using a Larue Lt104 mount on the 2.5x and standard high rings on the 3x.
Link Posted: 4/22/2010 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#5]
It is a fixed 4x. I would prefer to keep the FSB as I prefer it to the folding type. I was considering the Burris AR P.E.P.R since it fit into the price range I was hoping to stay around.
Link Posted: 4/22/2010 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#6]
It isn't just a matter of raising the scope to be above the front sight.    You only want the scope to be as high as it NEEDS to be to give you a proper cheek weld and, if necessary, clear a BUIS.  As mentioned before, the front sight base isn't a problem if the scope is around a 3X or better.  I could barely see the FSP when looking through my TA33 ACOG which is a 3X.

The PEPR is a petty nice mount, but it is not a quick detachable; so, every time you take it off, you'll likely have to make at least minor adjustments to sight the scope in again.  That is, unless you use a torque wrench to be sure to use the same amount of torque every time you remount the scope.  If you want to go on the cheap and wind up with a set of parts that you'll likely be able to use in the future, you have a couple of options.

First, if you are using a standard A2 stock and/or you don't need to push the scope forward to a point where the front ring will be off of the upper, you could just get a set of ultra high rings.  I like the ones from Warne, although they are on the pricey side at about $60 for a set.  If you need some sort of cantilever setup to get the scope forward over the upper, you can use a Yankee Hill 5" extension riser and a set of high rings.  This rig comes to about $70.  I keep a couple of these on hand just in case.  With these, you can accommodate almost any setup that you might need.  The extension risers also come in longer versions if you need them.

I used one of those extension risers on the rifle on the top.  I used medium rings on this monstrosity and they were a little too short.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top