Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/6/2009 6:59:55 PM EDT
What are the differences?
Which one has better battery life?
What should I expect for battery life? I've heard it is quite a bit less realistically than is actually advertised.
What I'm seeing is that the 517 has the buttons on the side, so it is easier to use with a magnifier.

It also has a strangely shaped front... It is so you can mount it farther forward?

Link Posted: 7/6/2009 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#1]
The battery life is the same.  The only differences are as you said, the shape of the front and the buttons on the side.  I bought the 512 to save a little money but wish that I got the 517 because I am now planning on adding a magnifier.
Link Posted: 7/6/2009 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
517 sits, I think, 7mm higher and is set up for 1/3 co-witness with BUIS.  517 is clearly better choice as of now.
Link Posted: 7/6/2009 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

517 sits, I think, 7mm higher and is set up for 1/3 co-witness with BUIS.  517 is clearly better choice as of now.

Why does everyone like 1/3 co-witness so much?

It seems having the irons centered would be better... The whole "eye wants to center things" everyone preaches about aperture sights would come into play here, right?

Link Posted: 7/6/2009 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#4]
You don't want 1/2 your view through the finder blocked by iron sights.  Having the top 2/3 clear helps you see targets and get them in the fiield of the optial sight.
Link Posted: 7/6/2009 9:29:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You don't want 1/2 your view through the finder blocked by iron sights.  Having the top 2/3 clear helps you see targets and get them in the fiield of the optial sight.

I see... That makes sense. You'll want more space dedicated to the main HWS.

I'm still in the irons mindset...

Link Posted: 7/6/2009 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Is there a way to get a raised base for 1/3 co-witness with an Eotech 552?

I know the 557 has had some major problems... So it is out of the question.

An Eotech 552 is similar, just without the 7mm riser.

I kind of want to keep my night vision options open.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 12:48:13 AM EDT
[#7]
The 517 is curved and raised to fit over standard handguards without a mount.

If you want a lower 1/3 co-witness with a 512/552/etc, you can buy a mount like the one from LaRue. This also gives you the QD option which I think is nice for optics.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 1:41:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you want a lower 1/3 co-witness with a 512/552/etc, you can buy a mount like the one from LaRue. This also gives you the QD option which I think is nice for optics.

+1 on the LaRue mount for lower 1/3 with a 512/552.

I have no problem with absolute co-wit, however.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 4:41:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why does everyone like 1/3 co-witness so much?

It seems having the irons centered would be better... The whole "eye wants to center things" everyone preaches about aperture sights would come into play here, right?

+1, I prefer the co-witness.  I use a Troy rear BUIS and a fixed FSB, and with the Trpy folded down, I don;t even notice the front sight.

ETA: I have a 512 and have not experienced a battery drain issues.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 8:56:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does the LaRue mount allow you to have it mounted partially over the handguards?

Is there a specific item number or name for this mount? I know LaRue makes a lot of stuff.

Link Posted: 7/7/2009 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Does the LaRue mount allow you to have it mounted partially over the handguards?

Is there a specific item number or name for this mount? I know LaRue makes a lot of stuff.

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=33

LT-110

You can buy the mount and an EOTech 552 for $600 directly from LaRue.

Link Posted: 7/7/2009 10:37:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/9/2009 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I like eotechs that use AA bats, they are available everywhere
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top