Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/31/2009 9:34:17 AM EDT
I just received this sight this week and I wanted to show guys the differences between these two models. The original Fastfire (let's call it Fastfire I) has been out for a few years and has gained ground as a quality mini red dot sight. It has been found suitable for many applications; centerfire pistol, rimfire pistol, carbine or rifle primary red dot sight, and as a backup or close quarters sight for scoped rifles. Protector mounts are available from both Burris and Larue.

The Fastfire I is a projection style 4MOA red dot that is said to withstand up to 1000 G's of recoil force. It is "virtually parallax free from 10-150 yards" although I have used this sight with success at up to 200 yards by centering the dot in the lens. I haven't shot at any further distances with this optic. It has an on/off swicth as well as a light sensor element which automatically adjusts the brightness of the dot. The manual states that a battery service life of 4 years can be expected (CR2032 Lithium).

The new Fastfire II is touted as being the only completely waterproof mini red dot sight in its class. There are some key differences that make this possible. First, the Fastfire I had an open, exposed circuit. On the top side of the optic, coated wires are visible and the light emitting diode is visible as well. The CR2032 battery mounts sandwiched between the optic and the (included) picatinny mount. These two area make the Fastfire I too exposed for water resistance, let alone "waterproofing."

The Fastfire II addresses these areas of exposure, allowing for a completely sealed optic. On the top side of the Fastfire II, the previously exposed wires and LED are protected by a clear window manufactured of some kind of plastic material. I don't want to say that it's Lucite, but it looks to be very tough.The Fastfire II uses a rubber gasket plate between the bottom of the optic (& battery) and the mount. This forms rubber seal on the underside of the optic that is water-tight. I will also add that the dot on the Fastfire II appears to be much more defined & crisp than the Fastfire I.

Enjoy,

Erik @ RHP
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm these seem like nice little red dots. Are they made in America?
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 12:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Is any dot sight made in America?
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Why those little peckerheads, I just bought on and its the old style.  Fuck, I wonder if Burris will swap it for me?
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#4]
They are made in the Phillipines and are excellent sights from my experience. They are aluminum and glass primarily, no plastic lenses or housings like some more expensive dots.

edited for spelling
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is any dot sight made in America?

Trijicon, EOtech, and Millett to name a few
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 5:05:59 PM EDT
[#6]

EoTech, yes.  

Millett, hell no.  

And I thought Trijicon buys and relabels their mini-dot.  I'm not sure if it is a Doctor or a J-Point.

Link Posted: 5/31/2009 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

EoTech, yes.  

Millett, hell no.  

And I thought Trijicon buys and relabels their mini-dot.  I'm not sure if it is a Doctor or a J-Point.

Millett Zoom Dot is indeed made in America. Their other stuff, no. Check my review

Trijicon has their own mini-red dot the RMR. I believe it's made in America
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 6:02:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They are made in the Phillipines and are excellent sights from my experience. They are aluminum and glass primarily, no plastic lenses or housings like some more expensive dots.

edited for spelling

The plastic housing and lens of which you spoke is more durable than aluminum and glass.
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 7:43:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Do these cowitness with the factory-supplied mount or do you need to use an aftermarket mount (e.g., LaRue) to get it to cowitness?
Link Posted: 5/31/2009 10:32:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do these cowitness with the factory-supplied mount or do you need to use an aftermarket mount (e.g., LaRue) to get it to cowitness?

Also, will the LaRue mount that supports the Burris 1 work the new Burris 2?
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 3:10:50 AM EDT
[#11]
The stock mount is not designed to co-witness on an AR15. You will need a riser or a mount like the Larue for it to co-witness.

The FF2 has the same exact footprint as the original FF and it should fit into any mounts that accommodate the original.

Trijicon is selling rebadged Docter optics, made in Germany.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 4:26:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The stock mount is not designed to co-witness on an AR15. You will need a riser or a mount like the Larue for it to co-witness.

The FF2 has the same exact footprint as the original FF and it should fit into any mounts that accommodate the original.

Thanks for the reply.  As a follow-up, do you know what height riser is needed for:  (a) absolute cowitness, and (b) lower 3rd cowitness?  And which cowitness height does the LaRue offer?

Link Posted: 6/1/2009 4:31:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just received this sight this week and I wanted to show guys the differences between these two models. The original Fastfire (let's call it Fastfire I) has been out for a few years and has gained ground as a quality mini red dot sight. It has been found suitable for many applications; centerfire pistol, rimfire pistol, carbine or rifle primary red dot sight, and as a backup or close quarters sight for scoped rifles. Protector mounts are available from both Burris and Larue.

The Fastfire I is a projection style 4MOA red dot that is said to withstand up to 1000 G's of recoil force. It is "virtually parallax free from 10-150 yards" although I have used this sight with success at up to 200 yards by centering the dot in the lens. I haven't shot at any further distances with this optic. It has an on/off swicth as well as a light sensor element which automatically adjusts the brightness of the dot. The manual states that a battery service life of 4 years can be expected (CR2032 Lithium).

The new Fastfire II is touted as being the only completely waterproof mini red dot sight in its class. There are some key differences that make this possible. First, the Fastfire I had an open, exposed circuit. On the top side of the optic, coated wires are visible and the light emitting diode is visible as well. The CR2032 battery mounts sandwiched between the optic and the (included) picatinny mount. These two area make the Fastfire I too exposed for water resistance, let alone "waterproofing."

http://www.ricanhavocproductions.com/images/FF1.jpg

http://www.ricanhavocproductions.com/images/FF1wire.jpg

http://www.ricanhavocproductions.com/images/FF1mount.jpg

The Fastfire II addresses these areas of exposure, allowing for a completely sealed optic. On the top side of the Fastfire II, the previously exposed wires and LED are protected by a clear window manufactured of some kind of plastic material. I don't want to say that it's Lucite, but it looks to be very tough.The Fastfire II uses a rubber gasket plate between the bottom of the optic (& battery) and the mount. This forms rubber seal on the underside of the optic that is water-tight. I will also add that the dot on the Fastfire II appears to be much more defined & crisp than the Fastfire I.

http://www.ricanhavocproductions.com/images/FF2.jpg

http://www.ricanhavocproductions.com/images/FF2wire.jpg

http://www.ricanhavocproductions.com/images/FF2gasket.jpg

Enjoy,

Erik @ RHP

Does the II a 4MOA?
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 6:23:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:Thanks for the reply.  As a follow-up, do you know what height riser is needed for:  (a) absolute cowitness, and (b) lower 3rd cowitness?  And which cowitness height does the LaRue offer?

Unfortunately, I can't answer those questions, as I do not run these optics on my AR15. I have used them on my Browning Buckmark and on my AK via the Samson K-Rail. I know that info might be more helpful, but I can only comment on the optic itself at this time. I know some folks are interested in running this optic on their ARs, so I decided to post this info here.

The FF2 also has a 4MOA red dot reticle, the same as the first model. It just seems like a much clearer, more precise dot.

HTH!
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I found what's going on my next glock 34.

Thanks for the review.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the review.  I had been trying to find out what the differences were.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 5:09:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

edited for spelling

The plastic housing and lens of which you spoke is more durable than aluminum and glass.

In my experience the plastic lenses are much easier to scratch, which is a concern for me since I live in a dusty area. I would also prefer an aluminum housing over plastic on a sight, but that is my own preference. I would never buy a magnified optic with a plastic housing, and the same holds true for a dot sight.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top