BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/4/2009 1:24:16 PM EDT
Hello all,

I noticed that my aimpoint was mounted with a slight slant on my AR so I decided to correct it.  When I went to tighten down the ring threads, the lower left one suddenly went slack .  I then saw little peices of aluminum (?) in the threads and I knew it was done.

Honestly, I didnt even put much pressure on tightening at all.  If anything, I tightened down the other three screws much more than the one that stripped.  I have also tightened down scopes on mounts much cheaper than the A.R.M.S without issue.  As far as I'm concerned, it stripped through no fault of my own.

On to my question:  is there anything I can do about this?  Does A.R.M.S. have a lifetime warranty on their products (mine is probably 5 years old)?  Their product page does not have any information regarding the warranty of their products.

The Aimpont seems to be plenty tight with only 3 screws, but I expect a lot more out of a mount that costs more than $100.  I definitely can not afford to drop $$$ on a new mount at this point in time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Just found this gem on their website.  Hopefully my mount will hold fine with just 3 screws.  The way its worded would probably mean that they wouldnt fix it even if it were in warranty as they would probably deem stripped threads as "abusive".

A.R.M.S.®, Inc. has an unconditional warranty on all workmanship of its products for a period of one year. This warranty does not apply to defects caused by anything that is deemed abnormal, abusive, or improper.

No more A.R.M.S. mounts for me.

Link Posted: 5/4/2009 2:09:48 PM EDT
[#2]
That's why you should buy the LaRue mount, and not shitty ARMS.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#3]
The same damned thing happened to me a while back.  Getting in touch with them was nearly impossible and why in the FUCK they don't use some sort of steel inserts rather than screwing into raw aluminum beats the hell outta me...
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 2:15:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The same damned thing happened to me a while back.  Getting in touch with them was nearly impossible and why in the FUCK they don't use some sort of steel inserts rather than screwing into raw aluminum beats the hell outta me...

Why should they? They make plenty of money selling cheap Chinese shit to people who don't research their purchase enough to go to a different manufacturer.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 2:30:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Did your issue ever get resolved?  Did you find a work around or just junk it?  I'm thinking of putting in some loc-tite just so it can grab on to whatever threading is left.

Joe,

You dont have to beat us up over it , man .  My ARMS mount was a package deal with my aimpoint 5 years ago.  I have honestly had nothing but problems with it (loc-tite was my friend when it kept shooting itself loose due to the riser).  I would much, much rather have the Larue mount but I just dont have the $$$ for it right now.  I'm going to see if I can salvage this mount until i can save up the money for the Larue.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did your issue ever get resolved?  Did you find a work around or just junk it?  I'm thinking of putting in some loc-tite just so it can grab on to whatever threading is left.

Joe,

You dont have to beat us up over it , man .  My ARMS mount was a package deal with my aimpoint 5 years ago.  I have honestly had nothing but problems with it (loc-tite was my friend when it kept shooting itself loose due to the riser).  I would much, much rather have the Larue mount but I just dont have the $$$ for it right now.  I'm going to see if I can salvage this mount until i can save up the money for the Larue.

Sorry, I'm an asshole.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 2:43:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's why you should buy the LaRue mount, and not shitty ARMS.

Link Posted: 5/4/2009 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't really know anything about the mount, but I'd find out the screw size and drop a helicoil + loctite (or just a locking helicoil) in there.  Good as new.

If you don't want to buy the stuff for the helicoil repair, i'm sure someone in your area could do it very cheaply.
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all of the replies!  I took the mount back apart to see the full damage.  Fortunately, it doesnt seem to be quite as bad as I originally thought it was.  The screw had a coil of thread on it.  Once that coil was removed, the screw threaded back into the hole.  I know that coil came from somewhere so I am going to put some blue loctite on the threads and put the mount back together; I think it will hold fine.  I will be extremely careful not to torque the screw too much.

Regardless, this will be the last piece of ARMS merchandise I ever own.  I have had nothing but problems with it.  The mount shot itself loose twice due to the riser.  I had to put blue loctite on it just to keep it tight.  Now the threads are stripping just trying to tighten down the Aimpoint.  All of this on a "military grade" mount that cost over $100.  I have had less problems with $10 chi-com mounts and rings!

The sad part of it all?  When you take into account the cost of the riser, the ARMS mount cost more than the Larue!  You would have to be bat-shit crazy to choose this over the Larue mount (mine came as a package deal with the Aimpoint before I knew any better).  I have the Larue BUIS on the same rifle and even though the Larue is a little purple, it just screams quality over the ARMS mount.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 8:28:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 8:49:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll trade you a TexasSpec mount, replete with our hardened inserts et al ... straight swap.

Email your addy to me ... mark @ laruetactical.com,  if we got a deal.

Wow, backing up mounts that are not even his....
Another reason I love LaRue!!  
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Genuinely nice gesture, Mark.  Please reply to my E-mail regarding the 123"L" whenever you get the chance.
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 11:11:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Mark is one heck of a good guy with an awesome product, that I was I keep going back to them for all my needs.  If only I could afford all my wants!
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#15]
That's why I buy LaRue. That. Right. There. (well, that and I don't want mounts that strip or lose zero)
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Genuinely nice gesture, Mark.  Please reply to my E-mail regarding the 123"L" whenever you get the chance.

And you can put me down for a set of those....
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#17]

for Mark!
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'll trade you a TexasSpec mount, replete with our hardened inserts et al ... straight swap.

That right there has converted me to using strictly Larue products- WOW, A-flipping-mazing to see that. You now have a customer for life Larue Tactical. I was looking at mounts for my Aimpoint and just ordered a Larue mount. I will now refer all of my friends/family to use your products because of your superb service and product. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/6/2009 8:10:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I recently had the same problem with the exact ARMS mount.  I know, I know, I should have bought a Larue, but it came with the aimpoint when I bought it on the EE.

I contacted ARMS and explained the problem.  I was honest and told them I had bought the mount used.  They said to send it to them for repair, that it would be taken care of.  I should have it back in about a week.  Their customer service has been good so far.  I have both of my aimpoints with these mounts with risers and had experienced no problems until the stripped screw.

Lets see if it really is back in a week.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Really Mark, I dont know what to say.  That is probably the most amazing act of customer relations and service that I have ever even heard of, let alone personally experience.

An email was sent.  I already tell those who ask me that Larue is pure quality with class to back it up but this really goes to another level.

Thank you!

-Shane
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm not sure if you're crazy or a genius, but this gesture just turned the tide for me too. I'll get LaRue or nothing from now on. Hell,  I'll probably sell my other stuff and replace it with LaRue products!

Link Posted: 6/7/2009 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 6/7/2009 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#24]
So,,,,Any chance of Larue making a quick detach mount for the Trijicon Reflex sights???????
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 3:35:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 9:01:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I recently had the same problem with the exact ARMS mount.  I know, I know, I should have bought a Larue, but it came with the aimpoint when I bought it on the EE.

I contacted ARMS and explained the problem.  I was honest and told them I had bought the mount used.  They said to send it to them for repair, that it would be taken care of.  I should have it back in about a week.  Their customer service has been good so far.  I have both of my aimpoints with these mounts with risers and had experienced no problems until the stripped screw.

Lets see if it really is back in a week.

I have the same story as you.  But with a twist.  After one week went by I contacted them but no luck.  I then got my original part back in the mail with a letter stating that I intentionally damaged the mount and over torqued the screw.  They said that they would not replace it.  The fucking kicker was when I initially contacted them I asked if I could PURCHASE a replacement part.  They said no need just send iin the damaged one and we will replace.  Instead I got the big fuck you letter from them.  

Good luck with your issue.  I hope you get a resolution.  When(IF) you get it back sell that fucker and get a Larue!
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So,,,,Any chance of Larue making a quick detach mount for the Trijicon Reflex sights???????  

Damn, another one same day.  I think we make that already too.

Yep, went and looked again.
If you are making one, it isn't showing up on your website.
I need a couple QD mounts for these and my choices are the sucky ARMS or the can't be found GG&G right now.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 3:16:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn, another one same day.  I think we make that already too.

Yep, went and looked again.
If you are making one, it isn't showing up on your website.
I need a couple QD mounts for these and my choices are the sucky ARMS or the can't be found GG&G right now.

Mr. Larue I emailed you about a Reflex mount a while back and your reply was that they weren't going to be made.  I realize the Aimpoint and EoTech are more popular optics but I think if you make them you will sell a lot more Reflex mounts than you expected, especially if the new model fits the same mounts as the Reflex II.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:36:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Received my Larue LT-150 mount in the mail last night.  Anyone who actively chooses the ARMS mount over the LT is smoking something that aint legal in these United States.  

I know it doesnt have to be repeated, but the LT is on a whole other level design and quality wise.  It's more compact and has a far superior QD system.  You could tighten it down to become one with your receiver if you would like.  I also noticed what appears to be steel inserts for the screws.  It's nice to be able to actually tighten down the screws without fear of them stripping.  It could be my imagination, but I think it also mounts the Aimpoint slightly higher (a good thing, IMO); it looks like I have a lower 1/3 cowitness with the BUIS instead of an absolute as I had with the ARMS.  I didnt want to put the Aimpoint back in the ARMS to verify, so I could be mistaken.  The battery compartment below the mount is an awesome touch.  

I havent had a chance to range test it yet but I have no doubt its performance will exceed its looks.

I noticed is that the finish is slightly different from my LT BUIS.  It is more matte and a darker black than the BUIS.  I have had the BUIS for a few years now so maybe they just changed the finish process.  I actually prefer the newer finish on this Aimpoint mount if that is the case.

My wife, not being into guns at all, thought that the Larue was "cool" and then proceeded to call BS when I told her about the Larue exchange .  I had to show her the invoice to prove my story.

Mark, I know that I can't afford for everything on my rifle to be Larue, but expect orders in the future.  Your entire company is pure class and the quality of your products cant be beat.  I really cant stress that enough.  You have a customer for life and I will be sure to tell of my experience to other shooters.

p.s.- I have asked a few times where you would like the ARMS mount shipped back to you and have yet to receive a response.  Just let me know and it will be mailed to you ASAP.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Received my Larue LT-150 mount in the mail last night.  Anyone who actively chooses the ARMS mount over the LT is smoking something that aint legal in these United States.  

I know it doesnt have to be repeated, but the LT is on a whole other level design and quality wise.  It's more compact and has a far superior QD system.  You could tighten it down to become one with your receiver if you would like.  I also noticed what appears to be steel inserts for the screws.  It's nice to be able to actually tighten down the screws without fear of them stripping.  It could be my imagination, but I think it also mounts the Aimpoint slightly higher; it looks like I have a lower 1/3 cowitness with the BUIS instead of an absolute as I had with the ARMS.  I didnt want to put the Aimpoint back in the ARMS to verify, so I could be mistaken.  The battery compartment below the mount is an awesome touch.  

I havent had a chance to range test it yet but I have no doubt its performance will exceed its looks.

I noticed is that the finish is slightly different from my LT BUIS.  It is more matte and a darker black than the BUIS.  I have had the BUIS for a few years now so maybe they just changed the finish process.  I actually prefer the newer finish on this Aimpoint mount if that is the case.

My wife, not being into guns at all, thought that the Larue was "cool" and then proceeded to call BS when I told her about the Larue exchange .  I had to show her the invoice to prove my story.

Mark, I know that I can't afford for everything on my rifle to be Larue, but expect orders in the future.  You entire company is pure class and the quality of your products cant be beat.  I really cant stress that enough.  You have a customer for life and I will be sure to tell of my experience to other shooters.

p.s.- I have asked a few times where you would like the ARMS mount shipped back to you and have yet to receive a response.  Just let me know and it will be mailed to you ASAP.

LaRue FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:46:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:49:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

Best laid plans ... should have been a return label in there somewhere.

Unfortunately, no return label in the package.  Came with the mount, plastic baggy with extra screw, instructions, business cards, and wrench, invoice and Larue flier (or as I told the wife, this years xmas wish list).

Do you want me to just go through the RMA process as listed on your website but "Attn:" it to yourself instead of Customer Service?  

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:23:32 AM EDT
[#35]
I have both ARMS and Larue, although I am quite partial to Larue mounts.  The customer service is very personable.  The guys you talk to on the phone sound like they are "on the level", and know exactly what you are talking about from their own experience.  I just wish that they made an SPR mount that was about 1" high, because I love the mount so much, but it is just a bit high for my rifle (as I posted in another topic).  I haven't had any problems with ARMS customer service.  I had the ARMS M1a mount, but by following the directions, I over torqued the side bolt and it stripped very easily, way before I reached their recommended 90 in lbs of torque.  Bad directions, which are quite out dated.  I will mention that this happened to me twice.  ARMS did send me 2 replacement bolts, so I cannot complain about the customer service.  The product on the other hand, not bad, but they do need to make some improvements.  I ended up going with a Sadlak mount, which is the balls.

Good customer service is a commodity.  You really appreciate how important it is when you run into a company that just doesn't really give a damn.  From my own personal experiences, here is a list of manufacturers with simply awesome customer service, in no particular order:
Larue (of course) - personable, knowledgeable.  They are not afraid to give you their personal opinion from experience
Sadlak industries - Mike Sadlak calls you himself to make sure everything is cool
Trijicon - completely overhauled 2 of my ACOGs, no charge, no questions asked
Bushmaster - very personable, very helpful, comparable to Larue
Redding - very personable, can bs with the guys in tech support about reloading for as long as you want, and they offered to fix or replace my 2400 with no hassle
Barrett - very nice people, stand behind their stuff, very helpful
FN - they never received my card for the free rings offer last year, but sent me the rings anyway after I called them earlier this year, and I didn't need to send them any receipts or anything.  Sent me a cool hat too
Brian Enos (Dillon) - Brian makes sure you get the right equipment for your particular needs, especially if you are new to reloading
Nightforce - very personable, knowledgeable guys.  Good turn around time on service too, about 2 weeks

-mp
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#36]
LaRue - American Born, American Designed, American Made

ARMS - Chicom pot metal shit.

/thread
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#37]
OP,

You cross threaded it.  Send it to ARMS for a free replacement.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Does that deal apply to me  too?  If I ever break my ARMS mount will you swap for a LT?  

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

/thread

ARMS mounts are  made in USA dude.  The the china made copies are.....well, made in china.

ETA:  There is a lot of fake crap out on the market now days.  Ive seen copies of both ARMS and LaRue.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#40]
You guys sure are rough on your gear.  Ive owned mounts for years and never stripped or broke one.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:18:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

/thread

I'm glad people know better than to believe that.  ARMS is as American as LaRue.  While MIM is inferior, that hardly makes it pot metal and ARMS Chicom.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

/thread

I'm glad people know better than to believe that.  ARMS is as American as LaRue.  While MIM is inferior, that hardly makes it pot metal and ARMS Chicom.

They base these comments off the copies they see on e-gay.  If the copy is made in china then so is the genuine product.  

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

/thread

They base these comments off the copies they see on e-gay.  If the copy is made in china then so is the genuine product.  

Seems they share the same quality.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#44]
LARUMINATI!
Link Posted: 9/7/2009 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Just thought I would bring this thread back from the dead to state that I ordered a Larue SPR mount this evening (happy birthday to me!).  Can't wait to get it in my hands.

I wasnt BSing when I said Larue had a customer for life.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 5:51:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Wow glad ya brought this thread back. Lurue = awesome!
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#47]
So, uh, I have one of those ARMs mount things that I was torquing down and it disintegrated into microscopic particles, yeah that's what happened.

Larue should give me free stuff too.

Kidding, of course. I don't even own an AR yet.

Next week though, my 6920 will arrive.

And when I get the cash for an optic (whatever it may be), it WILL be in a Larue mount.

Solely based on Mr. Larue's response to the OP.

That is some kick ass service. Replacing a mount that his company doesn't produce.

I'm going to go buy a Hi Point, break it, and see if SIG will send me a P228 as a replacement

Link Posted: 9/11/2009 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 7:33:55 PM EDT
[#49]
More ARMS silliness.

Has anyone seen the mythical adjustable ARMS mount from SHOT SHOW?
Link Posted: 9/15/2009 1:47:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
More ARMS silliness.

Has anyone seen the mythical adjustable ARMS mount from SHOT SHOW?

Beeeeep...

Sorry for the inconvenience, but ARMS Inc. is to busy filling lawsuits and is unable to devote manpower to releasing any new products right now; please try back later...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top