Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/27/2009 1:48:56 PM EDT
Part 2 of the series, again - don't waste your time telling me about chinese junk - I know. I don't care, that's not what this is about. This is to review this product if you happen to want it, and more importantly how to avoid getting taken by a thief. (But shouldn't be too hard on this one without the trades).

Fake ACOG replica + "Doctor" replica red dot - $125 plus $20 shipping.

This is what you get..

The finish is a kind of rubber like substance, not just black paint - so that's a plus. All metal construction, with plastic knobs on the adjustments. Pot metal, aluminum? I have no idea...but whatever is cheapest, that's what this probably is.

How to spot this fake?
No trademarks...should be pretty obvious.

Here is a close-up of the "arms" mounting system replica

How to spot the fake?
Easy - the real thing needs to say "A.R.M.S." on the lever/latches
And it probably won't be bent like this on is (slightly). LOL

Here is the reticle of the fake:

Fake stuff?
The entire erticle design is wrong. giant T with 3 numbers in the middle. (it's upside down because the camera has to take the pic from the front...)
Real deal has some type of chevron looking markings.

Here is a closeup of the "Doctor" red dot

Dot is pretty good, holds zero good, auto on/off function is selected by putting the cover back on, which blocks out the light to a sensor. Mine didn't seem to work right, all it did was dim it alot when you put the cover on.

Here is another shot from the other side:

Overall i'd say it's a good alternative to a walmart scope or something similar. The 4x magnification is nice and clear. The eye relief for me i measured at exactly 2 inches. I don't have one to compare, but the specs on the real one say it's around 2 inches also. Can't compare the FOV, but this one "seems" pretty narrow.

Worth $120? Oh yea, tide me over until I can afford the $1400 version.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the review - looking forward to some usage reports.

How did it smell?  My experience with rubber-coated Chinese optics is that they stink something awful, but that goes away after a few weeks of sitting out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#2]
You know what - this one does NOT smell.

I had the "aimpoint 3x" magnifyer, and that thing still stinks like crazy...but not this Acog"ish"
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:28:07 PM EDT
[#3]
The Dr Optic does not ever turn off with the cover mounted.  So the fake not doing that is no differenet than the real thing.  If it did it would pretty worthless in the dark wouldnt it?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I just noticed that now when I was testing it after sun went down, i started wondering why it was so dim...but figured that was the reason.

I guess what I really mean to say was this:

The fake stays on all the time, and the battery life is probably 1,000x less than the real thing - which sucks :)
Link Posted: 3/31/2009 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#5]
That reticle looks similar to the reticle on my TA01NSN, they don't all have a chevron or donut.  Looks better than the fakepoint that I paid $75 for a few years back.
Link Posted: 4/3/2009 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I like it..

Probably not for combat reliability, but for a casual shooter... YES
Link Posted: 4/3/2009 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I like it..

Probably not for combat reliability, but for a casual shooter... YES
Link Posted: 4/29/2009 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#8]
where do they sell these?
Link Posted: 5/13/2009 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Out of the blue I got a call from these guys.  (He asked me if I sold scopes.  I said I could get them but normally don't.  He said thanks and hung up).    :

http://www.ncstar.com/index.htm

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 9:22:44 AM EDT
[#10]
were do they sell these and what brand are they?
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 10:08:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I purchased a similar chinese scope recently. It's a NCStar Mark 3 Rubberized scope. Its 3-9x zoom, Mildot marking, optionally illuminated crosshairs, quick detach, and a side laser. It shipped WAY off zero...about 2 yards at 100 yards and the markings for adjustments are backwards, but IMHO, its price of $160 was worth the cost for what it does. Being new to shooting, I would rather invest in the gun itself, and ammo to train. For a range gun, I like it. Would I take it to war? Hell no, but it does it's job, and better then not buying an optic.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I purchased a similar chinese scope recently. It's a NCStar Mark 3 Rubberized scope. Its 3-9x zoom, Mildot marking, optionally illuminated crosshairs, quick detach, and a side laser. It shipped WAY off zero...about 2 yards at 100 yards and the markings for adjustments are backwards, but IMHO, its price of $160 was worth the cost for what it does. Being new to shooting, I would rather invest in the gun itself, and ammo to train. For a range gun, I like it. Would I take it to war? Hell no, but it does it's job, and better then not buying an optic.

ive seen those but not any quite like this one.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#13]
These scopes are on EBAY, for $160-200.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 1:45:26 AM EDT
[#14]
The whole unit looks very tall ?  Especially the red dot ?

Has this been a problem ?

God bless
Wyr
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice post dude! Informative!
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Out of the blue I got a call from these guys.  (He asked me if I sold scopes.  I said I could get them but normally don't.  He said thanks and hung up).    :

http://www.ncstar.com/index.htm

WOW!  How did he get your phone number?
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 3:32:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
These scopes are on EBAY, for $160-200.

it looks like there are several different brands.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top