Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/27/2008 6:13:46 AM EDT
What is the preferred method for cleaning glass that you do NOT want to damage or scratch in any way?  What about the lens cloths that are made of some Spandex type material?  Are these ok?  Is there any concern about dirt becoming imbedded in these, and scratching the glass?

Link Posted: 8/27/2008 12:16:10 PM EDT
[#1]
You should just buy a Trijicon Lenspen, there only like $8.
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#2]
It depends on how nice/expensive the glass is.  The prefered way for the most expensive stuff (NV/Thermal) is this:

1.  Spray the lens from a glancing angle with a can of compressed air to remove larger pieces of debris.  If you go straight into using a lens cloth, you will inadvertantly rub microscopic particles into the glass coating, scratching it.

2.  Use a soft brush (like the one that comes in a lens pen) to lightly go around the edges to loosen up any debris that is caught in seam between the glass and the housing.  Spray with air again if needed.

3.  Use a lens cloth or lens pen to gently wipe out smudges and finger prints starting in the center and working your way out towards the edges.  Use ting circular motions.
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#4]
There is this tutorial from US Optics.  Personally, I think it is a bit overkill, but if you really want to be careful, it should work for you.  I just use a lens pen and a lot of compressed air.

www.usoptics.com/video/cln1.wmv
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'll add to what CLASKY stated by telling you to get a small magnetic particle camels hair brush to first remove dust and other small particles from the lens.  I have some VERY expensive astronomy scopes that make my NV gear look cheap and this is serious business for me cleaning optics the correct way.

Vic

Are you saying that you use the Lenspen for your super expensive glass?  Or a lens cloth (Spandex type material?

Link Posted: 9/1/2008 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#6]
microfiber, lenspen and compressed air
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#7]
If the sight doesn't get hot you could put some cling wrap on it during training and tear it off when done like a nascar windshield or the chinese restraunts do their cash registers.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top