Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/19/2008 3:13:11 AM EDT
I went out this weekend to put a few rounds down tne pipe, and my 511 would not power up. When I had it out a few days before this, the low battery light was flashing so I figured it was bad batteries. Put a new set in, nothing...Any ideas? Thos thing is only 6 months old.. Thanks for any input.

- Dan
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 3:22:05 AM EDT
[#1]
IFFY TECH

Seems like there are more and more problems with this optic

Mine a 551 went down 3 times

seems to work okay If I use ONLY Duracell N type batts

I would Never trust My 551 Eotech with my life

I mounted it on my Back up M4
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 3:43:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IFFY TECH

Seems like there are more and more problems with this optic

Mine a 551 went down 3 times

seems to work okay If I use ONLY Duracell N type batts

I would Never trust My 551 Eotech with my life

I mounted it on my Back up M4

I have tried both Energizer and Duracell, nothing...
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 3:48:53 AM EDT
[#3]
The company has fantastic customer service.  Send it back to them.  They fixed my way out of warranty EO, and put some upgrades in it to boot (all for free).  

Link Posted: 5/19/2008 4:03:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The company has fantastic customer service.  Send it back to them.  They fixed my way out of warranty EO, and put some upgrades in it to boot.  

I think I am going to take that route, thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:24:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I've seen a couple of EOTechs recovered by removing the batteries overnight.

Failure was 'shooting and the damn thing quit working' replacing the battery in the field did not fix but th overnight thing did.

I also would not trust EOTechs on anything my life depended on.

BSW
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 6:17:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I will try removing them and see what happens. It is just weird that is stopped. It happened before I even started shooting...
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 7:29:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you have the new or old style buttons? I had an issue with the old ones that I think got moisture in them. I could turn it on, change the brightness, but couldnt turn it off. A few days later the problem fixed itself.

This is the first I have heard of this problem without some other cause. I have seen plenty of EOTechs oversees and in use here and never heard of the problem before.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 8:04:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do you have the new or old style buttons? I had an issue with the old ones that I think got moisture in them. I could turn it on, change the brightness, but couldnt turn it off. A few days later the problem fixed itself.

This is the first I have heard of this problem without some other cause. I have seen plenty of EOTechs oversees and in use here and never heard of the problem before.

Had a similar problem with a 512 with the older buttons.  Out shooting in the cold (about 12 degrees F) and it worked fine.  Came back home, rifle inside warm garage for cleaning, EOTech would not function.  Removed and replaced batteries, EOTech still no worky.

The next day I tried it again and it worked fine.  I never called EOTech but assumed it had something to do with going from cold to warm and condensation.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 8:46:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Had a similar problem with a 512 with the older buttons.  Out shooting in the cold (about 12 degrees F) and it worked fine.  Came back home, rifle inside warm garage for cleaning, EOTech would not function.  Removed and replaced batteries, EOTech still no worky.

The next day I tried it again and it worked fine.  I never called EOTech but assumed it had something to do with going from cold to warm and condensation.

Mine sits in the safe, and never see abuse, it is a recreational rifle, and is usually
in a temp controlled environment. I just do not understand this... I am going to try the battery removal and see what happens..
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 10:12:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Some of the earlier EOTechs including the 511/512 had "issues". Mine is a "Rev F" which is supposed to have fixed those problems. I have had NO PROBLEMS with my 512 Rev F.

You should probably contact EOTech and let them know your problems. I think they will send you an RMA for you to return the sight for service and possible upgrades, as one of the previous posters said.

I have no issue with trusting the EOTech 512 "Rev F". Hope this post helps.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a 552 Rev F and use copper-top batteries.  When shooting at a classes, I'll keep it powered-up the whole weekend (x4classes so far).  That said, as I return it to the safe, I remove that battery compartment.  I haven't changed batteries in 4 years...'probably not shooting it enough.

Though I would recommend removing the battery compartment during long-term storage.  I believe this is a prudent precaution with all battery-powered electronics.

Link Posted: 5/19/2008 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Some of the earlier EOTechs including the 511/512 had "issues". Mine is a "Rev F" which is supposed to have fixed those problems. I have had NO PROBLEMS with my 512 Rev F.

You should probably contact EOTech and let them know your problems. I think they will send you an RMA for you to return the sight for service and possible upgrades, as one of the previous posters said.

The 2 I've seen die were Rev F units.

BSW
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#13]
This may help, but I can't guarantee it.  Here is an excerpt from the troubleshooting page at www.eotech-inc.com/troubleshooting.php:

"Reset the electronics by removing any source of power for approximately two minutes. This will allow a capacitor in the electronics housing to drain of power, resetting the electronics. Reconnect the batteries and operate the sight as normal."

I have a Rev. F that I use on an AR15 configured like a M4, and I have never had any issues.  I heard somewhere that this issue may arise when recoil causes the batteries to jump off the connectors momentarily.  I think my rifle might not have enough recoil to cause the problem to arise.

I have had a similar problem on an LED flashlight though.  Sometimes I find it won't turn on, even though I know the batteries are good.  I have to open the battery cover for a few seconds and close it again to make it work.  The electronics in the EOTech are probably more complicated, which may be why they recommend the 2 minute wait.

I wish I had more solid references, but I hope this points you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 11:54:10 AM EDT
[#14]
thanks for all the responses guys. I think I will keep them removed when in the safe as well..
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 3:53:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The 2 I've seen die were Rev F units.

BSW

Mine is a Rev F unit with older buttons.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 4:46:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Not sure if this has been covered yet either by another member here in this thread, or in the link to EO Tech’s TS page. But often times the battery contacts of a seemingly “inop” EOTech can be cleaned by rubbing them with the tip of a pencil eraser. Might be worth a try.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 5:05:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Not sure if this has been covered yet either by another member here in this thread, or in the link to EO Tech’s TS page. But often times the battery contacts of a seemingly “inop” EOTech can be cleaned by rubbing them with the tip of a pencil eraser. Might be worth a try.

+1....I've done alcohol and a Q-Tip (very little alcohol) before too when there was some buildup on the connectors.  Let it dry completely and I was good to go.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 7:31:49 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1....I've done alcohol and a Q-Tip (very little alcohol) before too when there was some buildup on the connectors.  Let it dry completely and I was good to go.

NO BUILDUP ALL CONNECTIONS WERE CLEAN... GRRR

Guess I got to send it back...
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 7:45:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Did you actually clean the contacts, not just look at them?

The oxidation on the contacts can sometimes be so light that it is unnoticeable to the naked eye.

The “eraser trick” is something we used to do to PRC-77 hand mike contacts in the Army. In the case of the hand mikes contacts, like the EOTech’s contacts, the oxidation was there, but not visible.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you actually clean the contacts, not just look at them?

The oxidation on the contacts can sometimes be so light that it is unnoticeable to the naked eye.

The “eraser trick” is something we used to do to PRC-77 hand mike contacts in the Army. In the case of the hand mikes contacts, like the EOTech’s contacts, the oxidation was there, but not visible.

Guilty... I just looked, should I try the eraser?
thanks QUIB
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#21]
My contacts are all corroded from a batt leak.  Finally pulled it out this weekend after over a year of not using it and tossed in new batts.  It didn't turn on.  Took them out and put them right back in; works fine now.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
thanks QUIB

Try it and see if it helps.

I can’t guarantee that it will correct the problem, but when I suggested this fix to a young soldier in Iraq who’s EO went down for the same reason, it fixed his problem. It just might be the fix for yours as well.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
thanks QUIB

Try it and see if it helps.

I can’t guarantee that it will correct the problem, but when I suggested this fix to a young soldier in Iraq who’s EO went down for the same reason, it fixed his problem. It just might be the fix for yours as well.

I cleaned it at lunch, did not have the batteries because was shipping it back.
Looking close I did see some stuff on the contacts. Cross your fingers for me

thanks again buddy!

-Dan
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I cleaned it at lunch, did not have the batteries because was shipping it back.
Looking close I did see some stuff on the contacts. Cross your fingers for me

thanks again buddy!

-Dan

Will do.

Hope this works.

Glad to help.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 5:27:43 PM EDT
[#25]
We issue both Eotech and Aimpoint. We have been having the same issues with the intermittent, for no reason blackouts. They don't hold up well in tje trunks of patrol cars either. Go to change the batteries and the contacts fall out with the batteries. The other agencies here that use the Eotech have seen the same issues. We don't have the option of leaving the batteries out so most of the guys have been opting for the Aimpoints.

Full-Auto
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top