Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2006 4:59:01 PM EDT

I just got my long awaited ta31-f, and everything looks good exept for the fiberoptic tube.

This was bought new from a very popular retailer here and want to check to see if im just being paranoid. First, it has about 2 dozen spider cracks in it and i know it doesn't effect the function, but its supposed to be brand new.

I can live with the cracks since they will come with use anyway but there is a large air bubble inside the tube. Also when i first opened the box there was a sticky substance on the center of the tube.

Does this mean its leaking? should i send it back to the retailer? Trijicon?
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 5:39:22 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a big bubble!  I would definitely send that back to Trijicon.

Mine didn't have any bubbles nor much of any cracks when I first got it.   Now there are a bunch of cracks and three small bubbles with the largest one getting bigger as time passes.  If mine gets any worse, I'll probably send it back to Trijicon as well.

I would expect this lapse in quality from a BSA or Eurolux, but You would think they (Trijicon) would use better material on a $1000 +/- scope.  It's quite disappointing if you think about it.

Seems like Trijicon chose the crappiest piece of quality plastic to use for their fiber optic tube.

Link Posted: 12/15/2006 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Does it work? If it does just shoot it and enjoy it. Send it back if it is broken.
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes it does work but for 1000+ i would like it to be perfect. plus i figure that liquid is in there for a reason and it will cause problems sooner than later without being fixed.

I wrote both the retailer and trijicon and am just waiting for a responce now.

Anyone else have problems with there tubes cracking?
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 8:48:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Let us know what Trijicon tells you
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#6]
they use liquid in ACOGs? I just looked at mine and I would never have guessed
Link Posted: 12/16/2006 6:47:10 AM EDT
[#7]
My ( slightly used) TA31A has some small, hairline-type crack in the tube, but no leaks. I have yet to take it to shoot, so we'll see if they grow in time.

But that big bubble? Yeah, I'd be sending it back...
Link Posted: 12/16/2006 7:20:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an ACOG TA 31 that had extensive spider-webbing like cracks in it

I contacted Trijicon, who told me it was not uncommon and in no way affected performance or life of the optic

when I whined about what I paid for it, and my expectation of it being "right" they issued me a RA# to get it repaired (Return Authorization Number).

I sent it back

It was fixed for nothing and came back pristine

However, the reticle is about 75% as bright as it was before.

Oh well

Your's appears to be leaking though. That is different than my cosmetic complaint

Send it back and get it fixed up. They will take care of you

Photo of the spider-webbing before I sent it back

Link Posted: 12/16/2006 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Redfisher, good to know they fixed it for you but it worries me alittle that your reticle does'nt glow as bright now.

Is it the daytime illumination or the night time?

Was your ta31 bought directly from Trijicon?

Link Posted: 12/16/2006 9:18:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Send that thing back.  Is there any Tritium in that sight ?  
Link Posted: 12/17/2006 3:44:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Redfisher, good to know they fixed it for you but it worries me alittle that your reticle doesn't glow as bright now.

Is it the daytime illumination or the night time?

Was your ta31 bought directly from Trijicon?

I bought it from a dealer in Texas - I think he posted it in the EE here. But it was brand new.

Whether it is day or night, the reticle is not as bright as it was.

I was thinking - but cannot be sure - that the state of the fiber optic tube may have actually enhanced the light gathering capability...... As in - more light gathering surface.

This is the only ACOG I have owned, and the previous state (brightness) may have been abnormal, as it is fine as it is today, but in a comparative sense, noticeably not as bright.

I wouldn't let my experience influence a decision whether to send a "leaker" back for service. But if your ACOG has those spider-webbing-like cracks, but is otherwise sound and has good illumination, I would leave it as is.

HTH
Link Posted: 12/17/2006 6:26:42 AM EDT
[#12]
My TA31, TA31F and TA11 all have the fine hair lines and bubbles, some of them leak a bit, as Trijicon says, they don't affect performance.  I certainly haven't noticed any degradation so I've lived with it for years, nothing to worry about.
Link Posted: 12/17/2006 7:37:48 AM EDT
[#13]
send it back, I know how it feels to get a brand new optic and have a problem with it right out of the box.  I received a new Aimpoint on Friday and it has 3 dots and a line so I have to send it back Monday morning.  

let us know what happens

good luck
Link Posted: 12/17/2006 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
My TA31, TA31F and TA11 all have the fine hair lines and bubbles, some of them leak a bit, as Trijicon says, they don't affect performance.  I certainly haven't noticed any degradation so I've lived with it for years, nothing to worry about.

Same here, some fine cracks, no leaks however, and it's still too bright sometimes so I have to cover it up with tape.
Link Posted: 12/18/2006 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok so here's an update.

Response from the distributor was they will contact Trijicon themselfs to see what they can do.

The response from Trijicon was i can have it sent in and inspected. Does this mean they will fix it for free? i hope so cause they also told me the born on date was 8/31/05, a bit old for a new acog dont you think? Makes me wonder if this was used as a display model or something.

This is becoming alot of work for a brand new product i saved up 3 months for.

I will wait for the new response from the distributor after they contact Trijicon then decide what to do.

what i would like is prepaid postage, Trijicon deciding to replace the tube, then getting a 100% acog like i wanted in the first place. and maybe a free rifle or car or something.
Link Posted: 12/18/2006 5:35:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Amazing!  I was thinking about buying an acog.  After hearing about cracking and leaking of their optics I have to wonder. For that money I think they can do better.  There are alot of optics out there for $1000.
Link Posted: 12/18/2006 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Have to wonder about what?  It's not a functionality-degrading issue, it doesn't make any difference on how the scope functions.  Trijicon will fix it if you want to go through the trouble of sending it in, there's no guarantee the scope that comes back won't do the same, it's only cosmetic.  We're not talking about some of the things I've seen: reticle flaking and rotating (Super Sniper), turret falling off (US Optics), scope wouldn't power on (EOTech), now those are issues you might wonder about.

I sent back a Reflex II that had CLP sprayed on the fiber optics window in front, they fixed it without any problems.
Link Posted: 12/18/2006 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Mine's got the spider cracks but no leakage.  Didn't even know there was fluid in there!

Works fine, though...
Link Posted: 12/18/2006 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Wait one. Im not bashing Trijicon in any way, this was not there fault.

If i bought this a year ago and this problem happened over time it would be understandable as sometimes shit happens.

My problem is i had a $1000 acog sent by a retailer with damage that could not have been done by just sitting in the case. They should of sent it to Trijicon themselves esspecially since it is now almost one and a half years old.

But im not complaining as much as it sounds. I got a great price, other than the tube the acog appears 100% ( going shooting tommorow), Trijicon has a great warranty and i assume they will fix it for free.

Also i love my Trijicon night sights on my glock and i am having tons of fun with the acog which i would go to war with right now but would prefere a non leaking tube.
Link Posted: 12/19/2006 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#20]
This isssue has been brought up to Trijicon reps before by ARFcommers. They tell us the clear polycarbonate used for the fiber optic channel is prone to slight cracking over time (from age and UV exposure I think) and they had tested other materials to make the tube out of, but all other materials didn't allow as much light into the fiber optic line, and into the reticle. So, you can have slight cracks that are 90% of the time superficial and cosmetic only, or a dimmer reticle and a more UV durable plastic tube. I have a TA31 that came with the splits, and I don't even notice them. I look at the reticle more often when I shoot.
Link Posted: 12/20/2006 6:05:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I will send it in to trijicon after the hollidays to have it inspected and dont foresee anymore problems.
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 2:34:18 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Wait one. Im not bashing Trijicon in any way, this was not there fault.

If i bought this a year ago and this problem happened over time it would be understandable as sometimes shit happens.

My problem is i had a $1000 acog sent by a retailer with damage that could not have been done by just sitting in the case. They should of sent it to Trijicon themselves esspecially since it is now almost one and a half years old.

But im not complaining as much as it sounds. I got a great price, other than the tube the acog appears 100% ( going shooting tommorow), Trijicon has a great warranty and i assume they will fix it for free.

Also i love my Trijicon night sights on my glock and i am having tons of fun with the acog which i would go to war with right now but would prefere a non leaking tube.

I didn't see your posts as bitching about Trijicon or ACOG, phantom. Hell, when you buy an ACOG, you spend nearly as much or more than you paid for your rifle.

Examples like this - whether they are 'real problems' or not - would not be at all if we putrchased our optics in a face to face transaction.

Keep us posted on the outcome.
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Does it work? If it does just shoot it and enjoy it. Send it back if it is broken.

i have two optics that i've spent over a $1000 on (Leupold Mark IV and a Nightforce NXS)... if they didn't show up to me brand new in box with no damage cosmetic or otherwise... i'd have a problem.... for almost $2500 on optics i could have bought 4 AR's...

the OP's problem is not just cosmetic... it is leaking some space age alien magic glowing reticle goo all over the place... that's not normal...
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#24]
All of the TA31s and TA11s I have ever owned display the cracking in the tube, some bubbling and a little bit of ooze.  This does not mean they all possessed every condition mentioned, but at least one.

This is my take on why the ACOG with BAC (compacts, TA31, TA11 and TA55) develop this condition.

The fiber optic receptor is housed in a hard polymer casing that is filled with the alien goo (has Trijicon ever given it a name?).  In direct sunlight (or house in areas with higher temps) the goo will heat up, as liquids do, and expand.  There is only an infinite amount of space available in the polymer housing for the goo to expand.  As the goo expands the pressure build and two things happen: 1) the goo find a means to exit the tube (leak) or 2) the polymer housing expands to accommodate the pressure and cracks.  Very similar to expansion cracks that occur on frozen lakes and ponds.  The bubbles are a result of the goo leaking and a gas fills the void.

Design flaw or functionality trade off?  I have taken the word of Trijicon as this condition does not affect the function of the ACOG, but now I question to what extent?  If the polymer housing is so badly cracked, wouldn't that hinder the ability of the fiber optic receptor to collect light?  The cracks act like hills and valley which can deflect light.  Furthermore, the cracked areas have more of a opaque appearance which can hinder light transmission.  If half or all of the goo that the fiber optic receptor is encase in oozes out, now the stability is in question.

That said, I still do not have any intentions on sending any of mine back.  As of now, their function has been flawless.  Until I start glowing in the dark....may be.  Hmm......sure would make it easier to pee at night without turning the lights on.
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a TA31F and it has few little cracks- nothing i care about.  But what is this about leaking?

Isn't that "tube" simply a plastic fiber optice strand encased in a clear polycarbonate?  what liquid is there to possibly leak? the scope is supposedly sealed and waterproof, so if nothing can get in, nothing should be getting out.  Has trijicon ever said what this mystery liquid is or could be?  how can two plastic pieces ooze?  this is like a statue of the Virgin Mary that cries real tears...

Link Posted: 12/21/2006 3:04:01 PM EDT
[#26]
does the ACOG juice freeze and will it cause damage?
Wondering cause my safe is in the garage and it gets cold in there
Link Posted: 12/21/2006 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#27]
223rem that was a helpfull way to describe why the tube does that.

All i know about the alien liquid is thats its very thick and sticky. EEEEWWWWWW.

Link Posted: 2/7/2007 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#28]
UPDATE After 2 months from first ordering and then sending it to Trijicon its back and i finally have the 100% brand new Acog i wanted.

Thanks to Trijicon for the free replacement of the fiberoptic tube done quickly and right.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top