Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 12:32:38 PM EDT
I guess it's trying to look like an ACOG but anyone who knows the name ACOG would know it's not one

It's made in China (I wish it was made in little China)

But I talked to two people who carried one in Iraq as grunts for a year so I figure it's worth a chance and it can shoot pretty good.

Keep in mind I'm not much of a "group" shooter.  The top two targets are offhand and the bottom two are resting.  This is at 85 yards because the 200 yard range was closed for a rimfire competition.  I zeroed it and banged out about 240 rounds (this is from the last box) to see if it will keep a zero, it apparently  does.  Next trip I will take it off to see if it needs re-zeroing and drop it off the bench once or twice.  I'll try it at some more distance (If I can get on the long range) or do some speed drills.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like it was fun.

About how much does it weigh?

I like my 4x Russian VOMZ, but it's kind of heavy.

Wish I could have made it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got one on a 6724 colt and I have had very good luck with it.  I used it in a couple local 3 gun shoots and I done better with it than with my eotech.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 3:05:41 PM EDT
[#3]
It weighs over a half pound easy.  The tapco website says 10 oz.  I guess weight is a good thing in a scope, it at least suggests durability.  The gun itself has gotten heavy, it's a6" HBar, I'm thinking of getting it fluted or contoured.

This may be on the way to being my favorite AR
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine has been excellent!!!

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:11:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Finaly got back out to the range today.  It was one of those days that tend to fog up scopes, windy cold and wet but I didn't have any problems.  I took the scope off and dropped it (in the dirt from shoulder high) 4 times.  No problems, I had to drop the POI about 4 clicks though but this is more likely due to the fact that I moved it back one space on the rail.

Tried some off hand shooting at 100 yards and I can keep in minute of chest cavity.  My next trip with it I'll do some drills at 25 and 50 meters to see if it can be god for close up work.  I really wish it was a fixed 4x and not 6x.

Some of the targets I shot benchrest and prone (the last box of ammo (WWB 55grain FMJ) I am pleased.  The one in my hand was cammoflauged on the 75meter berm and I'm sitting next to a target on the 100meter.  I think once I get some practice in I'll have a 1MOA rifle.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#6]
currahee,
  Don't flut or countour your barrel, you could mess it up.  the fluting should be done prior to rifleing.  It's better to buy a barrel that has been fluted properly, before the rifleing process has been done.  The fluts/contour could reduce some of the tension in the barrel and open up the bore diameter.  It will still shoot good but your groups could open up some.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll vouch for the fact that he really did drop the scope three or four times. I remember because everytime he dropped it he had to close his eyes and turn his head away.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine has been mounted on my A2 upper.  The only issue I've had is that you have to be sure to retighten occasionally.  I've got about 400 rounds with my scope mounted on 5 separate range sessions.  The zero has held!  No doubt I've been gentle regarding tightening that screw so as not to strip out the sight base.  I recall someone mentioning putting in a helicoil when theirs stripped.

Where I really noticed the benefit was with the Air Force .22lr adapter installed.  I can hit large laundry detergent jugs with regularity at 300 yards.  At that distance I am holding at the thick base of the reticle.  100 yards is 1.5 dots and 200 yards is 3.5 dots.

I've written a program to utilize the mildot ranging capability.  But, without a laser range finder to confirm I just don't know for sure.  Based on my testing I believe it's within 15 yards.  I've run the program on both my laptop and my PocketPC without any problem, I just need the laser ranging confirmation.  Based on the formula supplied with the scope and data on M193, Q3131A, M855, 68gr OTM, 75gr OTM and 77gr OTM I also calculate the number of scope clicks at the calculated range.  Required inputs are size of target in inches and measured mils.  Results other than scope clicks, are Yards and Meters to target.  Based on 16" barrel, 50 yard zero and the above loads.

For such a cheap optic the glass is suprisingly clear and so far it's held up for me and had a repeatable zero.  Absolutely worth the money, all $40 + shipping.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#9]
No complaints on mine either.  Nice little scope for the money.

I knew TangoChaser had one on his rifle in Iraq  -  didn't know about the second soldier.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:32:35 PM EDT
[#10]
SnakeEye: my budy had the same problem when he put one on an 20: A2, the single nut didn't hold on to the carry handle.  I've had decent luck with the two nuts to the rail, but I find myself subconciosly tightening them.  I locktighted the hell out of the scope to rail adapter.  If I end up needing to I'll locktight the rail mount.

I haven't played around with the ranging yet.  My plan is to work on it some more at 100 yards then just move it out in 50 yard increments to see what happens.

USMC: that is a fine rig.  What kind of accuracy do you get from it?

Mrhylais, I didn't know that.  Do the people that get it done adter market just do it to rifles they aren't trying to get MOA accuracy out of?

Lastley Criley,  That is an odd set up... tell me how well it works.  Do you leave the 6x on for close range shooting or take it off?  I'm assuming you shoot theough both scopes for distance?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#11]
The carry handle mounts (either the T-168 or the ProMag or any of the name brand versions) will generally vibrate loose the lock nut. Blue threadlocker solves that problem. I prefer mounting optics directly to the upper receiver because you ditch the 9-10 oz of weight from the DCH.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:47:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Lastley Criley,  That is an odd set up... tell me how well it works.  Do you leave the 6x on for close range shooting or take it off?  I'm assuming you shoot theough both scopes for distance?

Right.  The sights are all co-witnessed.  The leapers "sees" through the red dot.  I can add or remove magnification depending on what I want at the time.  I usually am shooting clays and remove the scope and use the red dot or irons.  However, my shortest option at my range is 50 yds and it works fine at that distance if I want the magnification.  I can put it back on and use it for the tiny pieces.

I don't think it would work great at close ranges.  Too much magnification.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top