Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2006 6:21:26 PM EDT
(picts in links are huge, so viewer beware)

HERE is a pict though my brand new 512.65 rev F eotech. I manually focused the camera kind of “though” the optics if you will and you can see the reticle is fine.

But when you FOCUS CLOSER you can see some kind of line. When looking at it with the naked eye the line seems translucent or invisible. Kind of like how the Predator looked in the movie, or maybe kind of like the seam in the glass off a large aquarium.

I hope my description hasn’t thrown you guys off, but I was wondering if this is the sign of a bad sight, or normal phenomenon.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:35:18 AM EDT
[#2]
The main problem with the second picture is that your not actually focusing closer. All your doing is throwing the image out of focus by focusing at a longer distance. Though the illusion is that the image appears farther away and onto the proposed object, the actual holography is still display in the plane of the glass.

When you further focus your just throwing it out of focus and the abberation is caused by an optical illusion (forgot the name) of a single plane image being focused upon in a different plane. You clearly have a wide open aperture causing a very limited field of view. When you focus beyond the plane of the image the reticle will begin to dissappear. This is the same thing as shooting through a chain link fense, opening the shutter real wide, focusing on a distant subject, the chain link fence will dissappear. Also the reason why a FSB won't obscure an Acog or any other powered scope.

You can further see that the reticle in the first and second image begins to bloom MUCH larger than the actual reticle size. It appears to exist outside the image window which is impossible unless you have a special spatial holography version from the future. Again the same effect of using a wide aparture, especially the first picture which shows the back end of the Eothingy out of focus, dissappearing almost to show the reticle which clearly looks larger than the glass window.

Than again your camera lense or Eotech could be dirty. Or worse yet that might be a defect form the laser.

The only real way to test it is to move the eotech further and further away from your own eye. The image should become larger and larger to a point where it fills the entire window. It is at this point that you can inspect visually each area of the reticle for any sign of damage. You can move it out where only a portion of the reticle is seen at one time at which time you can view the image really close up.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:44:46 AM EDT
[#3]
as we know when we move aroung the window, the reticle follows. This "invisible line" exists in one place and when I "move" the reticle across the line, it gets obscred by whatever that line is.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#4]
that might be a flaw in the glass.  Send it back and wait a few weeks if you want...

I don't know what else to say...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
(picts in links are huge, so viewer beware)

HERE is a pict though my brand new 512.65 rev F eotech. I manually focused the camera kind of “though” the optics if you will and you can see the reticle is fine.

But when you FOCUS CLOSER you can see some kind of line. When looking at it with the naked eye the line seems translucent or invisible. Kind of like how the Predator looked in the movie, or maybe kind of like the seam in the glass off a large aquarium.

I hope my description hasn’t thrown you guys off, but I was wondering if this is the sign of a bad sight, or normal phenomenon.

I hate to disagree with Bobfried because he seems to know about photography, but he has it exactly backwards.  It is apparent that you ARE focusing closer in the second photo as you stated- not further.  Let me explain...

First, your reticle is WAY too bright.  Turn it down some.  Do you still see a "line"?

Second, I'm not sure exactly what you mean about the "line" although this explanation might help:
The hologram reticle is in focus at infinity even though it is recreated on the rear lens of the sight.  This is the 3-dimensional nature of holography.  The reticle remains in focus with the target.  Your eye can stay focused on the target and the reticle stays in focus with the target at the same time.  This allows the shooter to maintain focus on the threat, whereas with iron sights, your eye must  focus back and forth between the target and the front sight post.  This is one of the superior advantages the holographic sights have over all others.  It also means that it is difficult to photograph the reticle because your camera lens must focus at infinity to get the reticle in sharp focus (like your first photo), but if you focus on the sight (like your second photo) then the reticle goes out of focus.  This is also why some people say the reticle looks fuzzy when they hold the sight up in front of them, but when they take it outside and look at a distant target the reticle looks sharp. Make sense?

This photo illustrates what I am trying to say.  You can clearly see the truck in the distance in sharp focus along with the reticle while the front sight post at the bottom of the image is out of focus.  The human eye works exactly the same as a camera lens.  (This is an actual photo taken through an EOTech and not a Photoshop cut and paste.) Again, in this photo his reticle is a little too bright which is causing the "glow" around the edges of the reticle.  If you turn down the brightness you will get a much sharper reticle image.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#6]
yep.  what he said...

I'm liking manx a lot.  I'm seeing all of his new posts and I'm liking them all.  I'm not seeing the usual "how do I buy an airsoft scope for my AR15?" type question and it's giving me hope for the future of AR15.com!!!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top