Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/15/2005 12:42:42 PM EDT
What are the pluses and minuses of each and what would you recommend?
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Pros:

Aimpoint-

Battery life.
Lots of mounts, can tailor to where you want the Aimpoint to sit and how high it can sit.
Simple reticle for those who don't like the EOTech dot/circle.

EOTech-

Easy to find batteries (AA versions).
Small center dot works well at longer ranges.
Made in the USA.
Doesn't need an extra mount.
Lots of brightness settings to tune it just right when you're out shooting.
Better FOV than Aimpoint.
Cheaper.

Cons:

Aimpoint-

Mount required, usually not cheap either.
Radioshack was the only place I could find the batteries for mine and they were $5 apiece.
Tube of scope affect restricts FOV.
Personally speaking, dot can be either too bright or too dim (in-between settings).

EOTech-

Big (512/552).
Low battery run time in comparison to M3/ML3.
Some people think the EOTech reticle is too "busy".
Some people don't like the push-button controls.

I have both and like both, but I like the EOTech more.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  I fly a jet with a HUD, so I'm not too worried about the display being too busy.  I think I'll get an EOTECH, whenever I build up my next M-4gery
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 3:01:39 PM EDT
[#3]
So its $5 per 10,000-50,000 hours of battery life. How much does 10,000 hours worth of EOTech batteries cost?

Yeah, I like the Aimpoint. I also am on my first battery, and I have had the thing for roughly 30 months. I bought 10 spares for $40. I wouldn't have bought so many at once, but they were blister packed.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Wizzo makes good points.

My only comment to his points is regarding the FOV.  With both eyes open, the FOV is a non-issue.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 3:42:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i25.photobucket.com/albums/c55/ChrisV196/groundhog_day1.jpg

If it wasn't for repitition, this board would crawl.  Be like 80k old men sitting on the porch of the gun-nut nursing home in their rocking chairs looking at each other and going, "...Yup..."

Except, of course, for News Photos For Gun Nuts!
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i25.photobucket.com/albums/c55/ChrisV196/groundhog_day1.jpg

If it wasn't for repitition, this board would crawl.  Be like 80k old men sitting on the porch of the gun-nut nursing home in their rocking chairs looking at each other and going, "...Yup..."

Except, of course, for News Photos For Gun Nuts!

Day and a 1/2 old, 2 page, 38 reply topic on THE SAME THING

....and thanks
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:45:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Aimpoint ML2  for about a year.  Very nice sight.   My son has one also.   Costs for the sights and mounts were about $450 each.  I wanted to try a EOTECH on a new BM flatop.  My son tried to talk me into another Aimpoint but I wanted the EOTECH because I wanted to play with something different.  I bought the 512 and picked up some AA lithium batteries.  Cost of the sight mounted on my flat top $301.  To be honest I am a little more comfortable with it than the Aimpoint.  Less of a tunnel type sight even with both eyes open.  Accuracy is the same.  As hard as my son tried to hate the EOTECH, after time he liked it as much  the Aimpoint.  They are close to equal in my book with a nod going to the EOTECH.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Trijicon
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So its $5 per 10,000-50,000 hours of battery life. How much does 10,000 hours worth of EOTech batteries cost?

Yeah, I like the Aimpoint. I also am on my first battery, and I have had the thing for roughly 30 months. I bought 10 spares for $40. I wouldn't have bought so many at once, but they were blister packed.

Sorry about that, I brought the battery thing up because I have a CompM from the group buy.

70-500hrs.

Battery price sticks out more to me because of that.

I would like to get an Aimpoint ML3, but I'm gonna have to buy books soon for next semester and won't be able to think about it for awhile.

WIZZO
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top