Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/21/2005 4:28:52 PM EDT
I was wondering if anybody has this scope and if it is worth the money?  Since it is only $44 you would think that it would be junk.  

Thanks in advance

http://www.thearbunker.com/ar15_tactical_red_dot_scopes.htm
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Typically,

Leapers= Fecal Matter

Save your pennies and buy something else, IMO.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Just my opinion based on a Leapers 4x20 AR scope I got from them a few years ago.....
If my head were on fire, and Leapers manufactured the last bucket of water on earth, I would just go ahead and burn.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the Original Colt 4X years ago and liked it very much....."At The Time"...the Leapers is basically a chi-com knock-off of the original Colt 4X..."RedStar" (obviousely yet another chi-com co.) also made the same exact knock-off....but my colt 4X was heads and tails higher quality and unlike the chi-com leapers and redstar the colt 4X would establish and hold zero....and elevation and windage adjustments actually made sense and the BDC Feature had an accurate and equal affect on the colt 4X where the leapers and redstars were all over the place and very fraustrating to get zero'ed and then?...wouldn't hold that zero...but my colt 4x did....however..my colt 4X also cost about 5 times as much as the leapers or redstar versions.

Still..(including my old colt 4X) by todays standards?...get pummeled when reviewed alongside todays latest offerings mainly for....

1. Weight...the colt/leapers/redstars are like picking up a small bar of lead and are surprisingly heavy for their size....as in...."shockingly heavy". (not good)

2. Short "Eye Relief"...as in your head better be snugged up real close if you're expecting to see a sight picture and this was even true of my beloved colt 4X...hell...the first few shots left me wondering if I was gonna ring my own damn eye..I got used to it but still...(not good)

3. The ocular lens is tiny and yeilds a very small sight picture. (again, not good)

4. FOV?...What FOV? (again, not good)

and finally?...

5. One of the big benefits is the QD system...this way when the sun starts to go down you can get it OFF your rifle quickly!!! LOL!!!

My advice?...if you don't have at least $300 to invest in some quality optics then just spend whatcha got on more ammo and learn to love your iron sights.

L8R, Bill.

PS...forgot one...another Knock-Off Brand of the colt 4X is "EuroLux"...about $59-$79 dollars at your not so finer sporting goods stores and by the name you'd think these things are made in europe right?...wrong....as those ever so sneakier chi-coms strike again and...

"Eurolux" ='s...."Made In China"...The Peoples Republic Of...
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Swatforce is PURE JUNK !!!!!!!!!!!  Believe me because I ordered one and sent it back !

I have a BSA red dot that I bought a wal-mart for $29 and it is 1000 % better that Leapers .
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:57:17 PM EDT
[#5]
How odd that after all of these years a few things still are not clear;
1) You get what you pay for
2) There is no free lunch
3) Cheap chicom scopes are cheap peices of shit

Why anyone would try to look through a piece of shit is beyond me. FUZ1ON has it right, if you don't have the $300 or so for a good piece of glass spend your money learning to shoot your iron sights, they are VERY good iron sights, maybe even excellent iron sights.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:04:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Swatforce is PURE JUNK !!!!!!!!!!!  Believe me because I ordered one and sent it back !

I have a BSA red dot that I bought a wal-mart for $29 and it is 1000 % better that Leapers .

A friend of mine bought one of those BSA red dot scopes from Chinamart to get him by until he got a real scope. Its pure junk. Can't even see the dot in the brite day light on the highest setting.  I'd save for an EO tech or Aimpoint. Check the EE, you'll find a slighly used one at a good price.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I put one of those cheap $26 BSA red dots on my AR and it seems to work fine.  At $26 if you don't like it, give to some kid with a paintball or airsoft gun, or you could use it and if you hit the gun on something and break it at least you didn't break a $300 scope.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I too have had a $25 BSA red-dot on a 22 pistol and it worked fine, held zero and worked fine in bright daylight. Sold it when I sold the pistol, too lazy to take it off and put the rear sight back on.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:56:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I just got a Simmons 4 reticle red dot sight to hold me over 'til I can afford an EoTech.  I put it on the lightweight carbine I built.  Took it shooting yesterday, and it worked very nicely.  

The 4 reticles are a 1 moa dot, 4 moa dot, fine crosshairs, and Simmon's diamond shotgun reticle.  

All of the reticles are very clear, I was actually impressed with that.  Now, the brightness could be better...I took it outside and looked around sat. when it was really sunny...on the brightest setting, you could see fine...but it could have used a little more ooomph.  It worked great at the indoor range, while I actually had trouble getting the Holosight's brightness level adjusted so that the reticle wasn't really really fuzzy.  

It only weighs about 6oz, and is small enough to fit nicely on a carry handle.  

It was $60 or so.  

MUCH better quality than Leapers.  

Just a heads up, something to check out.  

I'd echo the suggestion of the Holosight, but new they're a lot more than what it looks like you want to spend.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:17:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the advice!!!  I think I will wait on a till I have enough $$ for a Mark 4CQT or check the EE for a EO TECH or aimpoint.

Thanks again
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top