Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/7/2005 7:57:05 AM EDT
I have a 5.5 trijicon ACOG that I can get for cheap. I am thinking of a Recce type carbine based around it.

Does anyone have any pics of the 5.5 on a 16" carbine?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Bump
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#2]
First, how cheap is cheap? Not asking for the source, just the price.

Second, there are plenty of other optics that aren't nearly as heavy or big as the TA55 you can get that would be better for a Recce. There's a reason you don't see that many (if any) TA55s out there - no one likes them. Their only saving grace is if you run out of ammo, you can use it as a club.

Third, why do you need a pic of it? If you visit Trijicon's site, you can get all the specs you might need to decide whether the TA-55 is the right optic for your intended use. How the TA-55 looks on top of carbine (or any rifle for that matter) should be irrelevant to . How it performs is what you should be concerned about.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
First, how cheap is cheap? Not asking for the source, just the price.

Second, there are plenty of other optics that aren't nearly as heavy or big as the TA55 you can get that would be better for a Recce. There's a reason you don't see that many (if any) TA55s out there - no one likes them. Their only saving grace is if you run out of ammo, you can use it as a club.

Third, why do you need a pic of it? If you visit Trijicon's site, you can get all the specs you might need to decide whether the TA-55 is the right optic for your intended use. How the TA-55 looks on top of carbine (or any rifle for that matter) should be irrelevant to . How it performs is what you should be concerned about.

Well as for the price- well under what a TA01 costs. If no one likes TA55s, then how come they are all over my BDE (could be a hint as to how I am getting one). Trijicon does not have a pic of one on a carbine. I want to see what it looks like because from there, I can tell how much it will throw off the balance. If it is too much then I will turn it and get a TA01 and pocket the rest.

Quit busting balls- I just asked for pic requests so I can get a feel for it would be like.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#5]
First off, this a shameless bump to keep this thread, like many of my other threads, from disappearing into the deep abyss of the 5th page.

AR guy,  have been meaing to become a member. Just haven't got around to it yet

That thread was interesting- especially the weights of the optics.

I IMed simply- hopefully he gets back to me.

Is there not another soul that has put a TA55 on a 16"? Anyone?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:52:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Quit busting balls- I just asked for pic requests so I can get a feel for it would be like.

Hey, you answered my question (balance is function, not form), so here's a link to a pic of one on an 18", courtesy of MSTN. It's the closest I could find.

Sorry for busting on ya but I'm tired of people asking for pics of things just to make sure something looks cool. It's a pet peeve of mine.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:38:35 AM EDT
[#7]
No problem Matt- the looks thing kills me too. What length is that barrel in your pic?

By the way- nice rifle
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:56:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:24:29 AM EDT
[#9]
They remind me of the old fashioned spotting scopes (monocular) used by pirates in hollywood films.

Something about the 5.5 just isn't right. Kinda like the 2x aimpoints just don't cut it compared to its 1x brother. I don't own the 5.5x but I have looked through them several times and even shot an ar10 equipped with one.

I just can't justify the weight of the ta55, ~25 ounces or so, compared to a run-of-the-mill ta01 that weighs in at less than 10 ounces just to gain an extra 1.5x magnification. Not to mention the field of view is only 18 feet @ 100 yards compared to 36 feet @ 100 yards on the ta01.

But hey its your $1200 to spend however you see fit at the end of the day.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:48:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm not trying to give the impression that I think the ta55 and ta01 are the same in any way. I'm just trying to let whomever it concerns know that there is an alternative that is half the price that doesn't compromise on quality. My only point is when your punching paper at 100 yards, why spend $1200 when you can spend $600 and have something just as adequate. Function over coolness works for me. But there is always those people who have to go above and beyond reality and logic and purchase rediculous items for talking points or to get the girls because money is the only way they will ever get a girl. <------ this doesn't, in any way, relate to "new-arguy", it is only a general statement.

But at least we agree that you should buy what you feel you need, and not what others think you need.

*edit* I will try to find pics of ar10 carbine with ta55
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm not trying to give the impression that I think the ta55 and ta01 are the same in any way. I'm just trying to let whomever it concerns know that there is an alternative that is half the price that doesn't compromise on quality. My only point is when your punching paper at 100 yards, why spend $1200 when you can spend $600 and have something just as adequate. Function over coolness works for me. But there is always those people who have to go above and beyond reality and logic and purchase rediculous items for talking points or to get the girls because money is the only way they will ever get a girl. <------ this doesn't, in any way, relate to "new-arguy", it is only a general statement.

But at least we agree that you should buy what you feel you need, and not what others think you need.

*edit* I will try to find pics of ar10 carbine with ta55

If you read my earlier post, I am getting a TA55 cheaper than an TA01.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
They remind me of the old fashioned spotting scopes (monocular) used by pirates in hollywood films.

Shiver me timbers!
ROFL!!   Now, everytime I see a TA55, I'm going to think of that.   That's too f'ing hilarious!

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top