BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:54:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: photoman] [#1]
My resurected tacpoint is going to go out for some range time this next weekend here if I can fit it in. This should really be interesting. I'm curious to see how bad the electronics got screwed up and if it will even zero again or hold a zero.

I'll also fix the pics some time this weekend too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#2]

As informative as all other threads here on AR15... thank you.

I've found that reading the threads really is the best way to know about the products that interest me.

Cheers!

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:37:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Luke77] [#3]
Okay, I bought a Tacpoint to see what all the hype was.  I haven't made a trip to the range yet, but so far, I like it.  Here are some pictures I took of it.  I came up with an interesting way to mount it.  Take a look.

Threw the Glock in there just cause
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/thehois/IM000931.jpg

BUIS down
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/thehois/IM000934.jpg

BUIS up
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/thehois/IM000935.jpg

through the scope
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/thehois/IM000936.jpg

and if you look real carefully, you can just BARELY see the front sight post.  It's not a perfect cowitness, but it works
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/thehois/IM000939.jpg
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:10:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Okay, it's 3 am and after 23 pages of opinion nad observation I still don't have what I am looking for.

I am wondering if anyone can conclusively say that there is any real difference between the SPOT, the TacPoint Japan, TacPoint China, the "special build spec" at NVW, or the ones coming off ebay??  If not I think I'll experiment with a $75 one from ebay vs the $150 SPOT.

Interesting note by the way on top shelf vs knock-off.  My cousin was in Hong Kong for his business recently and came home with a set of high end knock-off golf clubs that he paid ~$150 for.  Genuine thing in the US would have cost him ~$800.  I gave him a bad time about buying cheap copies from China.  He said the factory that makes his company's equipment also makes the golf clubs he bought... and also makes the Genuine ones sold here in the US.  He said that about half the clubs out of this factory get put in pretty boxes and shipped to the US to be sold for $800.  The other half of the clubs go out the back door, get put on a truck and go to brokers to be distributed off market for $175.

$$$ doesn't always tell the truth.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Where can one get a Tacpoint blue ring?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By GumbyDammit:
Okay, it's 3 am and after 23 pages of opinion nad observation I still don't have what I am looking for.

I am wondering if anyone can conclusively say that there is any real difference between the SPOT, the TacPoint Japan, TacPoint China, the "special build spec" at NVW, or the ones coming off ebay??  If not I think I'll experiment with a $75 one from ebay vs the $150 SPOT.

Interesting note by the way on top shelf vs knock-off.  My cousin was in Hong Kong for his business recently and came home with a set of high end knock-off golf clubs that he paid ~$150 for.  Genuine thing in the US would have cost him ~$800.  I gave him a bad time about buying cheap copies from China.  He said the factory that makes his company's equipment also makes the golf clubs he bought... and also makes the Genuine ones sold here in the US.  He said that about half the clubs out of this factory get put in pretty boxes and shipped to the US to be sold for $800.  The other half of the clubs go out the back door, get put on a truck and go to brokers to be distributed off market for $175.

$$$ doesn't always tell the truth.

Agreed!  Folks who have had the opportunity to travel to China, Singapore, Japan can see that many of the knock offs are the same as the name brands.  The knockoffs are in different packaging.  But once opened and utilized, that difference is hard to tell.  

Once you see it with your own eyes it's amazing how many folks are getting porked by name brand pricing.  I include myself as one getting porked too....until I opened my eyes.  

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:49:32 AM EDT
[#7]
the ones I mounted on my AC556 and Mac-10 still work fine.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn thanks for all the info, if you don't mind I'd like to copy some of that stuff on the spot for the sport torture test thread(with proper credit of course). You don't by any chance have any contact info for the SPOT folks do you?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:32:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cuz] [#11]

Originally Posted By TalonArms_R:
Damn, I can't belive this thread is still alive.  I guess it was worth all the BS I took for starting it in the first place.

Ok, here are the updates for 2006.

I talked to Hakko at the SHOT show and asked them what was up with the Tacpoint and will it ever be imported again. You want to hear something funny? The had NEVER heard of it. There were four VERY polite reps from Japan that knew less about their products than I did. That is very scary as I sell nothing they make. They had wireless internet, so I showed them the sight on-line. After five minutes of talking back in forth, they told me that they would be happy to build me 5000 if I would give them my Tacpoint for them to copy.
It was pretty obvious that anyone assocciated with the old project was not known to the reps here at SHOT.  So, don't hold your breath on more Tacpoints.  
In fact, Hakko did not have a single non-magnified optic on display. It seems to me that all they want to make are scopes.

I thought I posted this once before.
Hakko went bankrupt in early 2005... The name is now owned by one of the largest optics plants in China called Sams (the owners name is David Yin). You can varify this by searching the name Hakko at USTPO's website..... Te orginal Japan Hakko went off and formed a new company called Japan Optics... If you spoke to someone at a booth, that had the Hakko name on it, more than likely they were from China, not Japan and that's the reason they didnt know of it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By strick909:
So, What is up with the blue ring?
This is Hakko's new indication of a Lifetime Warranty.

mine broke, do you know how to contact hakko?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:44:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:57:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I also have one of the Ebay sights.  I cannot recomend it. First time using it on the gun some plastic inside broke free and bounces around when fired. It still works fine but ehh. Also the mount is no good, comes loose all the time. Yes only $50 but add another 30-40 for a good mount and depending on how long it lasts might not be worth it. If you can save or afford a good one get it, if not heck this one works
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:37:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By TalonArms_R:~~~Can one of you weigh the sight without a mount and let us know what it is? I am thinking that some or even most of the Ebay clones must be these lightweight sights. ~~~

My "Sports Goods Perfect Red Dot" weighs approx. 6.5 oz or 180 grams:

Is light weight good or bad?
The Aimpoint CompM2 weighs 7.1 oz or 200 grams.
Not alot of difference.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By TalonArms_R:
I  weighed an M2 with battery and lens covers at 7.5oz.

I got the Aimpoint M2 weight off their website:
www.aimpoint.com/o.o.i.s?id=253&product_id=19
Weight 200 grams (7.1 oz)
and both my "Aimpoint" and "Sports Goods Perfect Red Dot" came with battery installed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:25:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Back on topic (the TacPoint):

I've now had my Japanese non-blue ring for over a year.  Classes/training shoots/hard use (rain, mud, etc) ~ once every 6 weeks. >5k, <10k rounds.

While the unit still works, it's developed a funny issue:  When it's first turned on, the dot is floating way above the zero (3" @ 25 yards).  After the first shot, it's back to cowitness.  It has gotten to the point that for that first shot I just use the irons, and use the dot thereafter.

I'm fairly certian the next dot I'll get is an AimPoint, but I probably won't do so until the TP quits.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:48:56 AM EDT
[#20]

Ok, So it is not as durable as an Aimpoint. How durable is it?
That seems to be the $64,000 question. These optics are very new to the market. The initial reports are mostly positive on this issue. I have not heard of an optic that has broken during use yet.

What kind of problems have been reported?
There were some initial reports that the optic would leak when submerged in water. Hakko has stated that these optics are waterproof, but who knows? It should be fine in a little rain, but I would not take one swimming. Also, some have stated that the red dot is not as sharp and crisp as they would like. Others have no problem with the dot at all. There have also been reports that the numbers on the elevation and windage knobs will rub off. (This happened to one of mine.) There have also been reports of the threads being soft on the adjustment cap covers and the scope body. Users are advised to check that the cap is threading on straight and you should not force it.
Some users think the flip up caps are a little flimsy.

Had one come into the shop a few weeks ago that was busted...the guy said it got dropped in a puddle and stopped working. The puddle was in the grass so its not like it hit the ground hard...

My advice...save your money by and Aimpoint or and Eotech
Link Posted: 5/9/2006 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I think this has to be one of the longest threads to run i've ever tried to read.
Asside from the "STILL TYPICAL"mudslinging this is a great info source.
My bushnell lost 11inch's (only down thank god)at Bill Rogers rifle class.At the end of 600 rounds i aimed at the target stand for a hit at 112 yards on a 8x11 steel plate.
I just got one of the blue ring jobs ,used at a show ,in the box with all the stuff and batteries(and extras)for $35.
I'm a 3 gunner so if the dot dies ,lost stage ,so what.
I'll subscribe to this and post updates if the thread still lives on.
My wife and i plan to shoot a steel Challenge type match at the end of the month with my BM 9mm cheapy(not price but i wont own another plastic rifle).
I mounted it with a knights copy and it zeroed in 10 shots .Should have been less but i'm dislex?????ic.
Many thanks to the guy who started this and those who constructivly added thereafter.
Link Posted: 5/9/2006 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#22]
OH,just one more thing............
There was a Aimpoint copy for sale at the gunshow i was at that was marked AIMPOINT for $100 and now i'm sorry i did'nt get one.
Another thing!
Being short of attention i did not read all of 23 pages so this may be back there allready but..................
When my Bushnell lost zero and worst yet Bill warned us (i was one of more than 3 that eotec or bushnell let down)"We haven't seen too many of those make through our course"(just shooting,mind you)
More about that whole thing upon request.........
He was using a pride fowler optic,whitch looks suspiciously like a spot.
Of course there is a price difference but also option difference.
I wonder if these guys don't start with a cheapy and then soup-em-up.
i hope so ,cause i don't own any nvg nore want to at this time.
I want a dot that won't send me into devource for buying it or drive to insanity for lost shots.
I have a close friend in the reserves that is not a shooter but may get deployed.I want to send him the best I can afford and hope to god he will mount the damn thing when it comes down it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2006 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I am not sure anyone else has had this problem so I am going to post the problem and "fix".  I had not used The Tacpoint in about 6 months and upon turning it on discovered the dot was very dim and was totally useless near a window much less outdoors.  I replaced the batteries which had no effect on the dot brightness.  I replaced with  another set of batteries from a higher turnover vendor with still no joy.  Wondering if this might be a dampness problem I left the Tacpoint on over night at the highest setting and was rewarded with a normal and bright  dot this morning.  Hope this is of help to someone else.
Link Posted: 5/13/2006 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By gilf:
I am not sure anyone else has had this problem so I am going to post the problem and "fix".  I had not used The Tacpoint in about 6 months and upon turning it on discovered the dot was very dim and was totally useless near a window much less outdoors.  I replaced the batteries which had no effect on the dot brightness.  I replaced with  another set of batteries from a higher turnover vendor with still no joy.  Wondering if this might be a dampness problem I left the Tacpoint on over night at the highest setting and was rewarded with a normal and bright  dot this morning.  Hope this is of help to someone else.

So, the scope is ok now?

Link Posted: 5/14/2006 10:21:46 PM EDT
[#25]
It is still working at this time.  I am going to turn it off and try it again tomorrow. I wouldn't bet my life on its reliability at this point.  Gil
Link Posted: 5/14/2006 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Anyone still selling these?  I have the Japan one, and I like it.

Link Posted: 5/17/2006 11:42:32 AM EDT
[#27]
The Tacpoint still works, after a several hour warmup.  I think I will install it on my unreliable M1 carbine.  It should be a perfect match, a carbine that doesn't want to shoot with a reddot that idoesn't want to show.  Sorry for the bad info. Gil
Link Posted: 5/20/2006 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By palerider:

Curious, is Sports Goods the company's name?

Where did you pick it up at?
Link Posted: 5/20/2006 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By SN:

Originally Posted By palerider:

Curious, is Sports Goods the company's name?

Where did you pick it up at?

Ebay. One of those Hong Kong sellers Ebay member: "nothingtobid".
Do a search under "Aimpoint Comp M2" or "Red Dot Scope" etc.
and you'll find items like the one I bought here:
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=7216716364
Link Posted: 6/1/2006 4:48:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Anyone had any experience with one of these? Looks a lot like a TacPoint to me.

Ultra Dot Strike Dot

Thanks in advance.

-Tuesday
Link Posted: 6/2/2006 8:54:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By Tuesday42:

Ultra Dot Strike Dot

Thanks in advance.

-Tuesday

Damn skippy it does.  Tan ring instead of a blue one, and the ring even says "Hakko" on it.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2006 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I could be wrong but it looks to me like that ring says "Houts Enterprises". Which would be the company who is selling the sight.

Is there anyone out there who has seen/puchased one of these and can speak to (or against) the quality of the sight?

Thanks again,
Tuesday
Link Posted: 6/2/2006 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#33]

I could be wrong but it looks to me like that ring says "Houts Enterprises". Which would be the company who is selling the sight.

Looks like you're right.  I was seeing "Hakko" instead of "Houts"

Is there anyone out there who has seen/puchased one of these and can speak to (or against) the quality of the sight?

FWIW, even the ring looks just like the one that comes with the TacPoint, so I'd say it's a safe bet to assume that it came off the same line, and will have the same or similar issues.
Link Posted: 6/3/2006 11:20:09 PM EDT
[#34]
I have one of these Strike Dot Gold Ring things.  I got it on a whim.  I have an Aimpoint that I took out of the Arms mount and put it into the Aimpoint QRP mount.  I did not want to waste money on another Aimpoint and figured I would give the 80 dollar sight a try.  It seems to work good and I will shoot it tomorrow to see how she fares.

Again I am not staking my life with this one, but it should be fine for range work and lending to someone to shoot.

Max
Link Posted: 6/4/2006 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Well I just got back from the range.  The Strike Point actually worked fine.  Obviously I had some reservations but once I got it sighted in at 25 yards all I had to do is raise it 10 clicks up and I was hitting the bullseye.  This is 100 rounds down range before I left.  This was in the heat of the day and the red dot did not wash out.  I was thinking that I would have to get an Arms 40 BUIS  but this thing is accurate so the BUIS can wait.

I think as long as you have a good mount and use it as a range gun, it is good to go.  Even for home defense, I won't have any reservations using it.

As I said before I have a real aimpoint and the fakepoint.  I like them both of my M4s.

Max
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 6:53:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By FMD:

Ultra Dot Strike Dot

Damn skippy it does.  Tan ring instead of a blue one, and the ring even says "Hakko" on it.  

Saw one of these at the gun show this weekend on a table next to a TacPoint with the blue ring.  The TP had an extra inch of tube at the back compared to this one.  Otherwise they looked the same to me.  The guy wanted $99 for the SD, and I think $139 for the TP.  Dot looked nice and bright and the optics clear enough.  UltraDot has a good rep with the pistol bullseye crowd so I almost bought one, but thought I'd check in here first.  For the extra $50 would I be better off going with a SPOT?
Link Posted: 6/9/2006 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#37]
New to the board here, but have been following this thread...

From what I understand, Ultra Dot is the name of the company (or brand) that is picking up where the Hakko company/brand left off.   Is supposed to be identical.
Link Posted: 6/9/2006 5:55:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: akxx] [#38]
On a related note, the Ultra Dot panorama (PAN-V) is supposed to be the old Hakko Bed-35 sight.  This is similar to (but not direct copy) of EoTech.  Any one with experience with this?

Since I'm new, not sure if it's kosher to post hotlinks, but do search on ebay for "ultra dot pana"
Link Posted: 6/10/2006 2:03:14 AM EDT
[#39]
i wasted my money on the PANA-V. don't waste yours. spend the extra $100 and get a bushnell version of the eotech.

everytime i switch the sight type, dot, tee, circle ETC the POI changed. then the whole thing stopped working after 300 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#40]
O.K. This might sound like a stupid question. I got a hold of a Tacpoint to see if I like the Red Dot world. I have the std 30mm ring that came with the Tac. I also already have one of these:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=616939

My question is this. Does the extra height of the Tac on the top of the standard carry handle mount screw up the aiming if I zero the Irons at 50 yds, then zero the red dot? What about the angles out to 200 yards using the dot? Will it still be accurate?
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 1:08:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mike_L] [#41]
Putting the dot on wouldn't change the zero for the irons, but the dot will have a different trajectory than the irons because it's so much higher.  Since it'll have to rise up more/faster to meet line-of-sight it'll go higher at mid-range than the irons.  I think you'll want to zero the dot farther out, maybe 100yds, to keep the mid-range peak lower.  

You can use a ballistics calculator like this one to see how various zeros work.  For Q3131 from a 20" barrel use 3270fps and BC=.266 (Winchester's numbers).  Knock off 100-200fps for shorter barrel or non-M193 loads.  Or check the fragmentation range chart if that's still around (I think in the ammo forum) for Vel & BC of many common loads from 20/16/14.5" barrels.  Iron sights are 2.6" above bore, add whatever to that for the dot.  Set the range increment down to about 5 yards so you can see what it's doing.

ETA: Not sure what you mean by "angles out to 200 yds" but because the dot is higher any cant to the rifle will have more effect than it would when using the lower irons so it'll be more important to make sure you have the rifle vertical (bore directly under the dot).  
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 1:41:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks. That answers my questions. I knew the trajectory arc would have to be significantly higher, but I wasn't sure how much of a difference there would be on the point of impact if I zeroed it the dot at say 100 yds, and fired at a target at say 30 yds. Thanks for the tip on keeping the rifle verticle also. I'll probably see about a gooseneck if I eventually get an aimpoint.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Running the Q3131 numbers from Winchester and assuming 3.75" above bore it looks like 65yds would give you the closest trajectory to the 50yd IBSZ with the irons.  75yds would keep the mid-point peak a bit lower at the expense of the longer end.  100yds has the mid-point barely above the LOS so it gives away a lot on the long end.  50yds puts the mid-point more than 5" above LOS.  It'll shoot low at 30 regardless.  Even with the irons and a 50-yd zero it'll be quite a bit low.  Not enough to matter for center-of-mass shots, but might be an issue for head shots.  

Before buying a gooseneck price a flat-top receiver.   If you ask on the Hometown forums you can probably find somebody who lives close to you that has the tools and can help you swap out your A2 receiver for a flat-top.  Could end up being cheaper than the gooseneck mount, especially if you can re-sell the A2 receiver.
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By P0WERWAGON:
i wasted my money on the PANA-V. don't waste yours. spend the extra $100 and get a bushnell version of the eotech.

everytime i switch the sight type, dot, tee, circle ETC the POI changed. then the whole thing stopped working after 300 rounds.

POWERWAGON, thanks for the review.  Too bad Hakko's holo sight isn't as good as their Aimpoint clone!
Link Posted: 6/21/2006 12:11:05 AM EDT
[#45]
So a buddy of mine recently bought an Aimpoint clone.  The thing we noticed is that the dot shifts POA when you move your head around.  A lot.  My understanding of the strengths of the Aimpoint and other dot scopes is that the POA doesn't shift when viewpoint shifts due to double lens engineering.  Anyone notice this with their clones?
Link Posted: 6/21/2006 12:55:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: palerider] [#46]

Originally Posted By IDK:
So a buddy of mine recently bought an Aimpoint clone.  The thing we noticed is that the dot shifts POA when you move your head around.  A lot.  My understanding of the strengths of the Aimpoint and other dot scopes is that the POA doesn't shift when viewpoint shifts due to double lens engineering.  Anyone notice this with their clones?

No, If that were the case, it wouldn't sell. I suggest doing a comparo with both mounted or unmounted for consistency. The basic internal design is the same. Only the chinese slave prison labor and warranty are different.
Link Posted: 6/21/2006 10:22:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Are you sure the POA is shifting?  The dot will move around in the view if you shift your head, but so does the target.  The dot should move to stay on the target.  Somebody posted an example picture on one of these threads that showed how the dot followed Osama to the various corners of the view.  

There will probably be a little shift when you get near the edges of the view though.  If you go back a page or two of this thread there's a long post where one of the dealers here talked to the manufacturers of the SPOT & XTS-135 at the SHOT show and they thought the double lens was an Aimpoint patent.  So I would expect all non-Aimpoint dots to have some parallax.  I've seen an article by bullseye pistol shooters where they checked the parallax on a couple of dots common in that game and both showed parallax errors that moved the dot out to the edges of the X ring at the edges of the view.
Link Posted: 6/21/2006 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#48]
OK, we don't have an Aimpoint to compare it to but this dot seemed to shift noticably on across the room objects.  Maybe without it mounted we were exceeding the design parameters.

This particular model also had the lower half of the ARMS mount copy permanently attached to the bottom of the scope.  Only the top half of the rings came off.  Glue?  Weld?  Loctite?  Anyone seen anything like this?
Link Posted: 6/21/2006 10:54:30 AM EDT
[#49]
I can't find the article--they compared at 2 distances--but I think the parallax effect is worst at close range.   So your across-the-room test would be worst-case.  You probably won't notice it on the range.

All of the dots I've seen come with either normal rings or a cantilever mount, except the ones like the $30 BSAs with a built-in mount.  I guess jackyiscxd's on the EE is available with an ARMS mount, but it shouldn't be attached.  If the bottom is attached, what purpose is there for the top to come off at all?  
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Yeah... That's kind of what we thought too.  Must be a looks thing.
Page / 16
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top