Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2004 3:12:48 PM EDT
I ordered the KAC mount this Saturday from  G&R Tactical  and it was waiting for me when I can home today, Monday.  Cool!

Sorry for the crapy picture but my batteries went dead.  ( Tells you something  about having a scope that takes batteries.)

But anyway....................the KAC mount for the JPoint can be easily modified for the Docter sight.  Again the pic is out of focus...........  But....anyone that wants to put the Docter on the ACOG TA01NSN can use the KAC.   Cucci gear + Cucci gear = state of the art..........

Thanks again C4 Grant for the fast service...........

Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#1]
That thingamabob wouldn't happen to fit on a TA31 would it?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:35:38 PM EDT
[#2]
brassburn,

I thought a TA31 had reticles that you could use for CQB.

We need new-arguy in here.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 3:46:27 PM EDT
[#3]
BAC ACOGs have lit reticles bright enough for CQB, with both eyes open, therefore negating the need for a seperate optic to address the deficiencies of a fine crosshair reticle scope such as the TA01 series.

However, the beauty of an Optima 2000 or Docter sight on top of the TA01 is that each scope can be sighted in for different ranges, the red dot for 25yds, the ACOG for 100yds, for instance.  With a single scope you have to compensate when shooting at short range targets by shooting a few inches below the intended point of impact.

Drawback?  Taller profile, and no cheekweld when using the red dot, more like chin weld.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 4:38:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I am waiting for the LaRue mount for a regular TAO1.....  And yes I will get it from gandrtactical.
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:24:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Rambosky were you able o use any of the index pins?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I am waiting on a LaRue 30mm scope mount with a Docter Optic mount on it. Any ideas Grant?
Link Posted: 8/16/2004 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Good job there my friend!
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 4:06:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:13:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted: "Rambosky were you able o use any of the index pins?"

No, they were too large and had different allignment.   I just filed them off.   The mounting screw holes did line up between the Docter and the KAC.   But...........I had to open the screw holes up a little on the Docter in order to use the proper size screw that the KAC is threaded for.

I used just a little blue Loctite on the screws, just enough to keep them from getting loose but not too much in order to change out the battery when the time comes.

It took me about 30 minutes to do this.   Now I'll be off the the range to get the Docter zeroed.

Link Posted: 8/17/2004 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted: "Rambosky were you able o use any of the index pins?"

No, they were too large and had different allignment.   I just filed them off.   The mounting screw holes did line up between the Docter and the KAC.   But...........I had to open the screw holes up a little on the Docter in order to use the proper size screw that the KAC is threaded for.

I used just a little blue Loctite on the screws, just enough to keep them from getting loose but not too much in order to change out the battery when the time comes.

It took me about 30 minutes to do this.   Now I'll be off the the range to get the Docter zeroed.

Thanks for the info.  Have fun.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Will this mount work on a plain TA01 (non-NSN model)?
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#15]
No.  It replaces the NSN's rear iron ghost ring.   There is nothing on the standard TA01(or any other Acog) for this mount to screw into.
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#16]
There's that sucking sound again! Bank Account going empty! But, what else is new.
Nice setup BTW.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 8:41:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
No.  It replaces the NSN's rear iron ghost ring.   There is nothing on the standard TA01(or any other Acog) for this mount to screw into.

Rats......

I thought it looked like there was a ring that went all the way around, sort of like a scope ring.  Oh well.....
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:29:04 AM EDT
[#18]
... Hey RAMBOSKY, would it be possible to take a clearer picture of that set-up? It kinda looks like that KAC is bent down on the leading edge. Are you completely satisfied with it? The only reason I ask is because I once designed and modeled one (3D CAD parasolid) taking everything into consideration by board members here. Thinks like material choice, exact footprint of optics, exacting clearances, a rubber downstop pad between the ACOG & optic and a keyed indexed pin for quick re-zeroing.  I came up with this but could only make a prototype, couldn't justify costs of a short run. Lack of interest. I'm a firm believer of "there's always a better design". I still would consider making a few is if I could at least break even on the deal.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#19]
I must have bent the end down filing off the posts.   But...............I got it POI to my POA the other day at the range.   The end is a little flimsey compared to your's.

How much do you want for one?

Winston-Wolf's mount below

KAC mount below

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
... Hey RAMBOSKY, would it be possible to take a clearer picture of that set-up? It kinda looks like that KAC is bent down on the leading edge. Are you completely satisfied with it? The only reason I ask is because I once designed and modeled one (3D CAD parasolid) taking everything into consideration by board members here. Thinks like material choice, exact footprint of optics, exacting clearances, a rubber downstop pad between the ACOG & optic and a keyed indexed pin for quick re-zeroing.  I came up with this but could only make a prototype, couldn't justify costs of a short run. Lack of interest. I'm a firm believer of "there's always a better design". I still would consider making a few is if I could at least break even on the deal.

members.cox.net/winston_wolf/ACOG_DR1.jpg

I an in for one.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#21]
... I tried this once before fellas, I think it's just cost prohibitive unless someone out there knows where we can get a CNC house to do a short run. I doubt we could even find two dozen folks to go in on a batch. I'd love to finish the project, I just can't afford to eat a big loss on the venture.

... Ideas?

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
... I tried this once before fellas, I think it's just cost prohibitive unless someone out there knows where we can get a CNC house to do a short run. I doubt we could even find two dozen folks to go in on a batch. I'd love to finish the project, I just can't afford to eat a big loss on the venture.

... Ideas?

members.cox.net/winston_wolf/acog_1.jpg

members.cox.net/winston_wolf/acog_2.jpg

Ask one of the big vendors on the board to stock them.  Give them to him at or just above your cost. Win Win situation.  Hell IM me with a price for 24.  maybe I could peddel them on the EE.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:06:37 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

... Ideas?

members.cox.net/winston_wolf/acog_1.jpg

members.cox.net/winston_wolf/acog_2.jpg

All I will say is that a company that I work with is looking at making these, but have some military contracts to work through first before they can start on anything else....

C4

... Not "these" C4iGrant. These are my designs. You mean mounts like these right?
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:37:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I think it's just cost prohibitive unless someone out there knows where we can get a CNC house to do a short run.

You mean like these guys? E Machine Shop
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top