Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/12/2004 3:13:06 PM EDT
Hey folks.  I have been wringing out the new Aimpoint mount from LaRue Tactical.  Thought ya'll might be interested in my thoughts and some pics.

I must say I am very impressed with this mount.  I intentionally abused it to see if it was really any good.  Friday alone, it survived several hundred rounds, and I mounted/dismounted it 25 times.  I can honestly tell you that I had NO shift of zero/p.o.i., throughout an entire day of shooting.

This particular version, when mounted on your M4 rail, or same hiegth RAS/RIS rail, will place your iron sights in the lower 1/3 of your Aimpoint.

Here it is mounted to the rail of my RAS II, but I later moved it back to my gun's rail.  This mount WILL NOT co-witness the irons on the RAS II hump/bridge.

The much-rumored destruction of your 1913 rail by the LaRue throw-lever is completely unfounded.  So far, I have mounted/dismounted the LaRue over 50 times.  Albsolutely no damage was sustained by the rail, period!!  The mount went from two to ten rounds at a time between mounts/dismounts.  I never had any shift of p.o.i.  I did see a small amount of finish wear, but that was after fifty times.  Previously, I don't think I had put on/took off my Aimpoint mount anywhere near that many times-after a couple years.  Makes it seems like a moot point.....

Here is a pic of the mount with the throw-lever in the open position:

Needless to say, I am very happy with the LaRue mount.  

As you can see from these current pics, the overall aesthetics have been comepletely re-done.  It's finish now is the flat/matte black that we are accustomed to from KAC, GG&G, etc...

Edited to add:  Mark's contact info:  www.laruetactical.com
Also talk to him directly at:(512)259-1585
Link Posted: 4/13/2004 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Great review and pics Monty!!!!

Link Posted: 4/13/2004 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Jeff!

I was beginning to wonder when this was pushing 200 views, but no replies.....

You need one of these, brother!
Link Posted: 6/1/2004 11:50:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/1/2004 12:10:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Resurrecting this one from the dead.

I just got one of these mounts a week ago, and I can't say enough good stuff about it.  It's replaced my ARMS 22M68 on my carbine.

Told ya, Lump!

Monty
Link Posted: 6/2/2004 6:18:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Resurrecting this one from the dead.

I just got one of these mounts a week ago, and I can't say enough good stuff about it.  It's replaced my ARMS 22M68 on my carbine.

so now you need to post pics of the new set up right
Link Posted: 6/2/2004 8:06:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/2/2004 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#7]
How is this thing better than the ARMS 22M68? Another solution in search of a problem.
Link Posted: 6/2/2004 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/2/2004 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How is this thing better than the ARMS 22M68? Another solution in search of a problem.

Does the #22 offer a guaranteed return to zero/poi, after being mounted and dis-mounted??

Does the #22 offer an ADJUSTABLE throw-lever for different manufacturer's rails??

Can/does the #22 claim that absolutely no stress is placed on the Aimpoint??

Does the LaRue mount need a spacer to co-witness when mounted directly on the upper's 1913 rail??

Negative, on all counts......

Monty
Link Posted: 6/2/2004 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does the #22 offer a guaranteed return to zero/poi, after being mounted and dis-mounted??

Does the #22 offer an ADJUSTABLE throw-lever for different manufacturer's rails??

Does the LaRue mount need a spacer to co-witness when mounted directly on the upper's 1913 rail??

Monty

I don't know if ARMS guarantees it, but I've mounted and removed my Aimpoint plenty of times and have never had the POI shift.

I don't buy cheap shit out of spec upper receivers or rail systems so I have no need for an adjustable throw lever for out of spec rails.

How can Larue claim there is no stress placed on the Aimpoint? Every mount that relies on friction to keep the optic device from sliding about within the ring(s) places some degree of stress on the optic. The Larue is no different.

The need for a spacer is part of the modularity of the 22M68. Can the Larue be cowitnessed when mounted on top of the RAS II hump? Can the 22M68? Does the Larue allow for mounting forward of the upper receiver in a cantilever mounted? Can the same be done with a 22M68 with the simple addition of a spacer?

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. Buy whatever you want for your weapon, it's a free country
Link Posted: 6/2/2004 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Monty

I don't know if ARMS guarantees it, but I've mounted and removed my Aimpoint plenty of times and have never had the POI shift.

I don't buy cheap shit out of spec upper receivers or rail systems so I have no need for an adjustable throw lever for out of spec rails.

How can Larue claim there is no stress placed on the Aimpoint? Every mount that relies on friction to keep the optic device from sliding about within the ring(s) places some degree of stress on the optic. The Larue is no different.

The need for a spacer is part of the modularity of the 22M68. Can the Larue be cowitnessed when mounted on top of the RAS II hump? Can the 22M68? Does the Larue allow for mounting forward of the upper receiver in a cantilever mounted? Can the same be done with a 22M68 with the simple addition of a spacer?

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. Buy whatever you want for your weapon, it's a free country

I am not sayin gyour #22 has shifted.  I am saying LaRue guarantees that theirs will not.

Buying cheap shit recievers or rail systems is a dumb point.   If you have been watching this forum the last couple of months, you would know that there are reputable manuf. out there who's rails don't match.  I have seen a KAC rail, and a BM upper rail that were way off.  The adjust. throw-lever made the difference there.

If you have a RASII and want to co-witness on the hump, LaRue makes this mount specifically for it.

The LaRue mounts are actually made in house at LaRue Tactical, rather than subbed out.

I would think that if you have never used a LaRue, then you would have a hard time commenting on it, with any credibility.

I have used the #22.  I choose not to own one.
Link Posted: 6/2/2004 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/2/2004 6:17:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I have one of the Larue mounts which incorporates 30mm rings. Going on a SPR with a leupold MR/T. Itis a first rate piece of gear. I will buy more of their products
Link Posted: 6/2/2004 7:25:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Monty

I am not sayin gyour #22 has shifted.  I am saying LaRue guarantees that theirs will not.

Buying cheap shit recievers or rail systems is a dumb point.   If you have been watching this forum the last couple of months, you would know that there are reputable manuf. out there who's rails don't match.  I have seen a KAC rail, and a BM upper rail that were way off.  The adjust. throw-lever made the difference there.

If you have a RASII and want to co-witness on the hump, LaRue makes this mount specifically for it.

The LaRue mounts are actually made in house at LaRue Tactical, rather than subbed out.

I would think that if you have never used a LaRue, then you would have a hard time commenting on it, with any credibility.

I have used the #22.  I choose not to own one.

If I were ever unfortunate enough to come across an ARMS product that wasn't built to their specs and allowed the POI to shift, then I have no doubt that they would replace or repair it free of charge.

I don't see the advantage of having to purchase two separate Larue mounts for mounting on the upper or the RAS II hump when the ARMS 22M68 can do the same by adding or removing a simple spacer.

Are the 22M68's subcontracted out for production by ARMS? What is the point of mentioning that Larue makes their mount in-house?

I have never been to the Artic, but I would wager a guess that it is quite cold there. I am basing my opinion of the Larue on the information provided to me in this thread and weighing in with my opinion. I don't need to handle the Larue to know that it doesn't offer any substantial improvement over the ARMS product.
Link Posted: 6/2/2004 7:32:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Well if you, or someone else should ever have to send back an ARMS mount for that reason, I'll be happily shooting along with mine just fine.

Do you really switch where you mount your Aimpoint that often.  You either need one for the hump, or one for the upper rail.  Why both??

ARMS is well known for subbing out products.  LaRue makes everything in-house.  If you can't see the difference, I am shocked.....

Your comment about the artic is a widely general comment about a well known place that can be researched profusely on various sources.

Your comments about the LaRue can basically be summized as:  "Never used one, but I know it's nothing new or improved.  Real sure of that!"

You're giving a technical opinion based on a few pics......
Link Posted: 6/3/2004 6:57:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/3/2004 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Einrich=3rdtck?

Link Posted: 6/3/2004 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/3/2004 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#19]
The Larue is also a bit lighter and less bulky then the ARMS 22M68.

I'm currently running the shorter RASII hump version of the Larue and couldn’t be happier.

The Larue Aimpoint mounts place the co-witnessed irons in the lower 30% of the optic.
Link Posted: 6/3/2004 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/3/2004 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Lumpy's pics rock!
Link Posted: 6/3/2004 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
members.cox.net/vseven/LaRue2.jpg
members.cox.net/vseven/LaRue1.jpg

I suck at photography

Jeeeeees it's about time the pics showed up, it's been a while since I could save a pic to the old hard drive

Edited to add:  What,? No more single point sling?
Link Posted: 6/3/2004 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
members.cox.net/vseven/LaRue2.jpg
members.cox.net/vseven/LaRue1.jpg

I suck at photography

Jeeeeees it's about time the pics showed up, it's been a while since I could save a pic to the old hard drive

Edited to add:  What,? No more single point sling?

That and the KAC panel for the top piece of the M4 RAS is missing...

Link Posted: 6/3/2004 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/3/2004 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/3/2004 8:30:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Very nice lumpy! Now we have to get you the LaRue EOTech mount and the transformation will be complete!

C4

Good luck my friend.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2004 9:17:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/3/2004 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#28]
The LaRue throw lever mounts are by far the best throw levers mounts on the market today.

The LaRue throw levers are adjustable (can adjust for wear), and
the throw levers engage the picatinny rail and not the void area of the rail where the slots
are cut on the picatinny rail like other manufactures do. This is a superior means of engaging
the throw lever mount in helping to prevent the mount from being knock off the picatinny rail.

For these reasons the LaRue throw lever mounts are superior.
Plus they look really cool.
Best regards,

Frank
POF-USA
Link Posted: 6/4/2004 4:32:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Lumpy   It's nice to see a rifle that really gets used and not just a safe queen! Thanks for the pics
Link Posted: 6/4/2004 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/6/2004 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/6/2004 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/6/2004 2:38:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/6/2004 2:41:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/6/2004 3:17:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Thought I'd throw up some of my thoughts and pics as well.

Please don't!!!!!

I think we can all agree that it would require a pretty weird situation to necessitate a rapid removal of a BUIS. What the LaRue really offers is repeatability. That is, you can pull of the BUIS, throw on your night vision. Pull that off and re-mount the BUIS and not have to re-zero. That is a real quantum boost to one of the AR platform's premier advantages: modularity.

As to the clamp adjustment being different from gun to gun: That's not unusual. In fact, that's what the adjustment is for. To enable a rock-solid fit on any rail; not just a theoretically perfect rail. The rail on my J&T upper is so out of spec that if I adjust the Aimpoint mount for a snug fit on the foward-most part the rail, the lever cannot be closed if you move the mount further back on the rail.

Mi dos centavos.

SD
Link Posted: 6/6/2004 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/6/2004 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/6/2004 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#38]
I remember when I was the lone voice in the wilderness on LaRue........

Monty
Link Posted: 6/6/2004 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/7/2004 3:49:42 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/7/2004 4:21:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/7/2004 4:23:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/7/2004 4:32:38 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/7/2004 4:44:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/7/2004 5:10:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Well, I dont like beer

Uh, guys.....

I think we may have a commie infiltrator here.
Link Posted: 6/7/2004 5:40:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/7/2004 5:55:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/7/2004 10:06:57 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I remember when I was the lone voice in the wilderness on LaRue........

Monty

I admit, I wasnt listening...

I learned my lesson

Maybe.....but at least you were willing to give it a try before trashing the thing all over the 'net.  I can understand a healthy dose of skepticism.  I just can't understand people who proceeded to trash Mark LaRue personally, and his products, without EVER having spoken to him, or even holding in their hand something he made.

Monty
Link Posted: 6/7/2004 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/12/2004 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#50]
anyone have a pic of the short mount for installation on a RAS II hump?

I'm trying to decide between that and the 22m68 for when I get an aimpoint.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top