Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/17/2012 6:58:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 7:24:07 AM EDT
[#1]
If this doesn't stir up more confusion on who makes what different mags and when, I don't know what will.

Best of luck to them, but I would've changed the company name.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 7:45:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Show Special is $10, I guess C Products will not be the cheap alternative it used to be.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 7:59:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Show Special is $10, I guess C Products will not be the cheap alternative it used to be.

10 bucks for a CRES mag with a Black coating that is highly wear resistant is not a bad deal. to bad the old C-pro left a bad taste in my mouth.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 8:05:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 8:11:40 AM EDT
[#5]
The big deal with the new ones is that they are making a 6.8 mag that will allow 2.3 inches or slightly better COAL, they are far superior to the old ones, and on par and possibly better than the PRI and Barrett mags, all while coming in a around $12-$14 bucks.
Right now the only mag that allows the longer COAL is the PRI, and it's right at $40.

I hope to get a couple of the new 6.8 mags soon. When I do I will do a write up on them for you guys
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 8:12:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

10 bucks for a CRES mag with a Black coating that is highly wear resistant is not a bad deal. to bad the old C-pro left a bad taste in my mouth.

My point is that if their "Special" price is $10, I'm thinking their normal price will be around $13-15. Which you can get PMAGS or Lancers for cheaper. Pmags & Lancers are already water resistent, and MUCH lighter then stainless mags.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 8:15:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn, I walked by but didn't stop at their table.  I would have bought a few to try out.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a bunch of the old CProducts SS mags (both Marlube and Teflon), and all of them have worked 100% for me. I mostly use the 20rd mags, and they are by far my favorite AR mags. I'm a Tool & Diemaker by trade, and I can tell you the SS mags are definately constructed to last a long time. I look forward to buying many more mags from the new CProducts Defense.

CProducts Defense is in Florida according to their website. Chad and Larry (the original owners of CProducts) moved to Florida and started LCJ Wholesale after the mess with ASC. LCJ Wholesale is now a distributor for the new CProducts Defense mags. I would assume they are helping, if not working for, the new CProducts Defense. If I am incorrect, someone correct me. I'm not associated in any way, shape, or form with the company other than being a customer over the years.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 8:49:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Personally I liked Larry.  I have a bunch of the old SS mags and they work very well.  Of course I'll get some of the new ones.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 8:49:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point is that if their "Special" price is $10, I'm thinking their normal price will be around $13-15. Which you can get PMAGS or Lancers for cheaper. Pmags & Lancers are already water resistent, and MUCH lighter then stainless mags.

It's a personal preference. Some people, myself included, prefer stamped stainless steel over polymer. That's the beauty of America.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 9:19:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Chad works for C Products Defense. Larry I would assume also does.

I had issues with the 25 round 6.8 C P mags, ( towards the end of Chad's involvement, and I think it was due to the ASC deal ), but I will say that Chad went above and beyond to take care of me. I had three that didn't feed right at all. After tweaking them I had one that fed right. He replaced them with three more.

Of those three, one had a 5.56 follower, ( not his fault ), one didn't work , and one did. He took back the two that didn't function.

He sent me 6 brand new mags. Of those, I only tried two, and both worked perfectly.

At that point though, I had enough brass and other components that I would be reloading for probably 90% of my ammo, and those CProducts mags did not allow the 2.3 COAL that I needed for my handloads. I sold those and bought PRI mags.

Now, the new ones will allow the 2.3 COAL, and they are the steel mags, and built tough.

They are in stamping right now. They made a couple of changes before they went into production.
I'm sure they will be great mags, and as someone said earlier, some of us like the steel mags better than the plastic ones. I guess it has a lot to do with your age. For guys my age, plastic is a synonym for cheap crap. I know it isn't really, ( We have Pmags, plastic parts, and have had some plastic pistols ), but I'm mentally more at ease with metal in something I think might have to endure lots of stress and abuse.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 9:21:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a personal preference. Some people, myself included, prefer stamped stainless steel over polymer. That's the beauty of America.

yup, gotta love variety.  And really... arguing the point of water resistance?  Last I checked it wasnt an ordeal to take a rattle can to some metal mags if needed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 9:23:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 9:57:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If this doesn't stir up more confusion on who makes what different mags and when, I don't know what will.

+1 as up until now I thought C Products was C Products and ASC had ALL the old tooling.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 10:24:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

but I'd be surprised if Larry and Chad Plankau are working for Mr. Jamil.  I did not, however, ask that specific question, so I guess anything's possible.  I did get the distinct impression there are no ties between them.  

http://www.thebradentontimes.com/news/2011/09/07/business_and_financial/c_products_defense_inc._plans_100_jobs_with_move_to_manatee_county_from_connecticut/

Published Wednesday, September 7, 2011 2:00 am
.......CPD’s sister company, LCJ Wholesale ............
........ said CPD President Larry Panka, Sr......................

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 10:26:25 AM EDT
[#16]
The best part of all this is something we're all forgetting. 8 years ago we would have been arguing about which are the best pre-ban magazines. Now we can have them all!
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The best part of all this is something we're all forgetting. 8 years ago we would have been arguing about which are the best pre-ban magazines. Now we can have them all!

Excellent point!  I was thinking the same thing the other day as I unwrapped 5 brand new P-mags that I bought for less than $14 each.  Quite a nice change from the bad old days of scouring the internet and gun shows hoping to find some beat up junk that was being sold for twice the price.  I hope we never see that again.

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 6:52:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

For about 8 more months anyhow.  I wouldn't count on it going into 2013, regardless of who wins.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 7:43:51 AM EDT
[#19]
A few days ago I was surfing around the net an noticed that LCJ had C Products magazine in stock again.  So i e-mailed their customer service asking about the finish on their new magazines.
Here's my e-mail and the response.

Jim,
These are the finest magazines ever made. If you can scratch one through normal use I will replace it at no charge! You are really going to like these. New tooling, new design, even the spacing on the welds is mil-spec.

L.J. Panka
Owner/ Managing Member
LCJ Wholesalestore

941 920-0574 cell
941 776-3435 office
www.lcjwholesalestore.com

–––––––– Original Message ––––––––
Subject: Magazine question
Date: Mon, April 16, 2012 10:54 am
To: "'[email protected]'" <[email protected]>

Good morning––-

Just a quick question.

I notice that there are 20 and 30 round SS magazines available again. The manufacturer seems to be “C Products Defense”.

Polymer is the in thing right now, but I’ve always preferred metal magazines.  I own quite a few of the 30 and 40 round mags, both SS and aluminum, and they’ve always been excellent for function, which is why I bought them, but the finish sometimes left something to be desired.

Are these new production with better finishing, or are they more of the old Cproducts ones?  I will be giving them to my son as part of a gift with an AR I’m building for him, would like to have something that looks better than the usual military-type magazine.  As a gift, appearance matters.

jim

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. ¥  Alexis de Tocqueville "Democracy In America" pub. 1835

Guess I'll be ordering some today.

Edit:  Just ordered 5 - 30 rounders and 3 - 20's.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 10:03:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Maybe third time around will be the charm for Larry.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#21]
$13 each for the mags, not horrid, but not good either. There's a ton of proven magazines available at that price.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I just ordered three mags.  I figured a little diversity in mags is a good thing so I decided to try out SS mags.

Bill

Quoted:
A few days ago I was surfing around the net an noticed that LCJ had C Products magazine in stock again.  So i e-mailed their customer service asking about the finish on their new magazines.

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Jim,
These are the finest magazines ever made. If you can scratch one through normal use I will replace it at no charge! You are really going to like these. New tooling, new design, even the spacing on the welds is mil-spec.

L.J. Panka
Owner/ Managing Member
LCJ Wholesalestore

941 920-0574 cell
941 776-3435 office
www.lcjwholesalestore.com

–––––––– Original Message ––––––––
Subject: Magazine question
Date: Mon, April 16, 2012 10:54 am
To: "'[email protected]'" <[email protected]>

Good morning––-

Just a quick question.

I notice that there are 20 and 30 round SS magazines available again. The manufacturer seems to be “C Products Defense”.

Polymer is the in thing right now, but I’ve always preferred metal magazines.  I own quite a few of the 30 and 40 round mags, both SS and aluminum, and they’ve always been excellent for function, which is why I bought them, but the finish sometimes left something to be desired.

Are these new production with better finishing, or are they more of the old Cproducts ones?  I will be giving them to my son as part of a gift with an AR I’m building for him, would like to have something that looks better than the usual military-type magazine.  As a gift, appearance matters.

jim

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years. ¥  Alexis de Tocqueville "Democracy In America" pub. 1835

Guess I'll be ordering some today.

Edit:  Just ordered 5 - 30 rounders and 3 - 20's.

I see the 30 rounders but no 20 rounders. How did you order 20 rounders?

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought a couple of the show specials too and they do seem really nice.  I have not used them yet maybe this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm wondering if they would be willing to honor old CProducts mags? I don't have any that are defective, just I've got about 10 or so that I haven't tested.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 11:20:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

ACR = Finishing Co. that took CP's tooling in lawsuit = bad mag finish and quality.
CProd = Old CP owner.
LCJ Wholesale = Also owned by old CP owner.  All this was explained in this thread.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 1:53:54 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://shop.lcjwholesalestore.com/AR-Magazines_c14.htm

They aren't the cheapest magazines around.  But price isn't everything.  If they work well and look good, they have fulfilled their mission in life.

If everyone bought only from one maker, pretty soon there would only BE one maker.  I prefer to spread my money around and buy a variety of products.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 3:11:20 AM EDT
[#29]
At one point not long ago, I was once labeled the CP fanboy or whatever. Hey the old CP was good to me, and Larry and Chad are outstanding individuals. Well, sometimes such things have a way of rewarding you. About 3 months ago, Larry Panka contacted me about doing evaluations on their new Stainless Steel mags.

About 3-4 weeks ago, I received the SS AR 5.56 mag evals from Larry. Initial observations and feedback are that these are oustanding SS Mags, and probably the best finihs and design I've ever seen.

Below is an email excerpt with Larry about 3 weeks ago with my initial observations...

Hi Larry!

Once again, I greatly appreciate the kind and generous offer for sending me some evals. From initial observations, I am VERY EXCITED about your SS mags - no sharp edges, GREAT TERRIFIC FINISH (more why below), and tough & durable!

MATERIAL - The durability of stainless steel was the Number 1 feature why I liked SS mags in the first place, and I noticed a few things about your SS mag. At first, I couuldn't believe it was an SS mag. it was lighter than any SS 5.56 mag I tried or had seen before. My honest gut reaction was that thsi coudln't be SS, but some tougher aluminum alloy. It felt too lightweight to be SS, btu after doing tests (not analtical), it was very clear it weighed mroe than any aluminum mag I had. Body thickness and dimensions didn't look like an SS mag either, appearing almost exactly like the C-Product and preban USGI aluminum mags I had. It wasn't until I removed the basepalte, and observed the different spring and follower. In particular, the follower is definitely for thsi mag, as it won't work in your aluminum mag, and vice versa with aluminum mag followers. (Your followers are great BTW.)

FYI - Larry, I'm probably going to really abuse-test this mag when I get the chance, such as drop tests, run over with my truck & SUV, and run different rounds exclusively for a few 1000. I also have 5 different brands of lower receivers to test fit (from Bushmaster, Armalite/Aero Precision, Delton, RRA, LMT), and 3 brands of uppers for function (Bushmaster, RRA, LMT).

FINISH - I much prefer thsi finish than the gray or black finish on the CProduct or preban USGI mags I have - or other modern day metal mags! The balck is a good dark color, but not too dark as to stand out. What is great is that it is not glossy, but a good drab dark charcoal, no gloss or reflection in bright sunlight - that is a great tactical finish, adn what I'd rather have for all my metal mags. So, kudos on the color, hue, etc of the finish. I do not have good tests on the durability yet, but so far its holds up excellently. I have rubbed it harshly again my used preban USGI and used CProducts, ran it a few times in my LBV vest and loading it into USGI MOLLE dual mag pouches as well as just rough handling by throwing it into a toolbox. These are similar to early tests with my first CProduct AL mags a few months before I bought the 700 AL {old} CP mags. The SS Mag finish is far better because it holds up very well in initial tests and is perfect for tactical needs where a glossy finish isn't desirable.

FOLLOWER - clearly same design as CProducts, but clearly dimensioned for SS mag body. no compliants. I think its a terrific follower and does the job perfectly. And hopefully its still priced like a Chevy for a Cdillac product, (unlike some other followers I know of).

SPRING - looks like a stainless? I can't tell, but it does appear different from teh CProduct CS springs I have. Again, no complaints here.

MAG BODY & WELDS - mag body is clearly for SS in that any Aluminum follower doesn't fit properly or work well in this mag - I tried. Mag body tack welds look great. AS ntoed in earlier emails, one of my pet peeves about previus SS mags werethe sharp edges of the SS metal and ending up with slightly sliced up hands or clothing or gear. YOUR SS MAG is unlike any other SS mags out there! No sharp edges - no cuts, no slicing, clean spot welds - terrific attention to detail!

I expect that it won't fail me at all. I will let you knwo when I run it over (on concrete, gravel, and dirt) how it holds up, with the basepalte, spring, and follower properly installed, with 30rds.

FUNCTION - haven't had a chance to test fire with my AR's, due to holidays, family activites, work, weather, terribel mosquitoes down here. But fit is perfect with all 5 brands of lower receivers, and presumably uppers won't have an issue. Feeds as expected and drops free and easy as expected also. Also, tested with 2 types of LULA's - StripLULA from MagLULA/Butler CReek, and a unknown brand (not my preferred one), and standard USGI "spoons" - works as expected and equal performace as comapred to other USGI mags when loading individual rounds or from 10rd stripper clips.

So the last thing I have to do is the full livefire function test and after taht, runnign it over and test livefire again.

And from a reply when Larry first contacted me 3 months ago about the evals:

"...just for your information, I refrained from buying SS AR mags since 2002. I had about 3-4 dzn SS mags from 2-3 manufacturers bought during the preban years. Over those years, I kept experiencing thin shallow cuts and slices to my finges and hands whenever using SS compared to the aluminum ones. These thin cuts were nothing painful or medically worrisome. But over time, and if I used my SS mags extensively, it was an annoyance. The portion of the SS mag body where the two halves are spot-welded together typically had sharp metal edges - the source of the shallow cuts.

The problem for me arose when I began accumulating a lot of mil-surplus USGI MOLLE gear - vests, dump pouches, mag pouches, etc. I have an investment of 100's of new USGI mag pouches, dozens of vests, etc. I noticed that my old SS mags sliced up the mag pouches and other MOLLE gear. The wear & tear was noticeable and much worse than with USGI Aluminum mags. (PMags just never fit standard USGI MOLLE gear very well, but I am very much looking forward to teh PMag Rev M3, with dimensions similar to teh EMag..)

As far as form, function, and reliability, i felt SS was as good for me as USGI aluminum AR mags. I do prefer SS mags for greater durability and toughness against the elements and whatever might be thrown at them, albeit being slightly heavier. But I am concerned about the sharper metal edges when used with my MOLLE or tactical gear. I've got $1000's invested in that gear, and there's no point for a SS mag to cut it up, not when AL or polymer treat the gear much better. ..."

There you have it. I'll let y'all know the results from abuse and function testing. Haven't had any chance due to heavy involvement lately managing a large construction project for my company. That's a few more weeks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 4:07:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 6:00:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

ACR = Finishing Co. that took CP's tooling in lawsuit = bad mag finish and quality.
CProd = Old CP owner.
LCJ Wholesale = Also owned by old CP owner.  All this was explained in this thread.

The gentleman I talked to specifically identified himself as the owner of C Products Defense, Inc. and it was NOT Larry Panka.  

Adel Jamil is the sole owner of C Products Defense. If he had owned the original C Products LLC it would have been the best manufacturer of magazines. He now will make CPD the best!
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

CProd = Old CP owner.

The gentleman I talked to specifically identified himself as the owner of C Products Defense, Inc. and it was NOT Larry Panka.  

Adel Jamil is the sole owner of C Products Defense. If he had owned the original C Products LLC it would have been the best manufacturer of magazines. He now will make CPD the best!

Nice first post. Sounds like you work for them.  Or are in love with  Adel Jamil.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

CProd = Old CP owner.

Nice first post. Sounds like you work for them.  Or are in love with  Adel Jamil.

Yes, I do work with him. I have a great deal of respect for the way he is going about building his company. How's that for a second post!

Link Posted: 4/19/2012 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Best of luck to Mr. Jamil.

Link Posted: 4/19/2012 11:35:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 11:44:20 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm officially confused.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 12:52:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://shop.lcjwholesalestore.com/AR-Magazines_c14.htm

They aren't the cheapest magazines around.  But price isn't everything.  If they work well and look good, they have fulfilled their mission in life.

If everyone bought only from one maker, pretty soon there would only BE one maker.  I prefer to spread my money around and buy a variety of products.

The only 20's I see are the aluminum and the 20 blocked to 5 rounds. I want the new CPD SS 20's.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How are Larry and/or Chad Panka involved with this "new" company? Documents and newspaper articles available online indicate an extremely close relationship.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 1:27:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I will say this.

As eagerly as I, and many others have been awaiting the new 6.8 mag from them, they have done the right thing.

It has been pushed back a couple of times after testing has shown that it need a couple of tweaks.
As Chad stated, they would rather push it back a few weeks and put out a superior product, one that is near perfect, than to sell something that isn't 100%.

It's getting real close to that time now though. They are in stamping, and Chad said he hopes to have a production sample today, and if it's as good as it should be, they will go into full scale production immediately.

So, to CP Defense, Chad, all the employees, I want to thank you for doing these right, and at a price that will be completely affordable, making the 6.8 even more attractive to new shooters.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Hmm..in for DPMS pattern 308 mags and stainless steel 40 rounders. 5.45 and 7.62x39 would be nice too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 4:50:29 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Hmm..in for DPMS pattern 308 mags and stainless steel 40 rounders. 5.45 and 7.62x39 would be nice too.

Link Posted: 4/19/2012 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How are Larry and/or Chad Panka involved with this "new" company? Documents and newspaper articles available online indicate an extremely close relationship.

They are lcjwholesale, the sole distributor or C Products Mags. I believe Larry sold Cproducts to the new guy with them getting distribution rights.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#43]
How things have turned. I thought everyone was mad at Chad and Larry a few months ago because they left people high and dry, holding empty bags?
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 9:23:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 10:36:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 10:39:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Do I hear Aimless getting the ban hammer from the arfcom closet?
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 2:13:28 AM EDT
[#49]
.chad  admitted that cprod did rip some people off,but blamed it on barry.I don't trust them anymore,but if I came accross a great deal on mags I still might buy some.,but with other companies selling 10 packs for a lot less[ I cant see taking a chance.                                           The Manatee Board of County Commissioners approved $100,000 in performance-based incentives for CPD.  To qualify for the incentives, the company must hire 100 employees over the next five years at an average wage that is 15 percent higher than the county average]  
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 2:44:05 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do I hear Aimless getting the ban hammer from the arfcom closet?

No. C Products Defense website is registered to a woman named Jamil. They may have bought it from Larry and Larry's just selling the magazines.  

Sorry Aimless...but its amazing how little you've been informed of the situation w/Larry, Chad, Mr./Ms. Jamil, ASC/old CP of Connecticut, and CProducts Defense of FL.  But thats not your fault.  Some of us have much more of the story because we're in direct contact w/Larry an Chad and have a good respectful relationship with them, and faith they'll do the right thing.  I HAVE NO RESPECT FOR ASCand what they did to the old CP...because its not the way to resolve a business dispute.  ASC's owners had was a big V for Vendetta stamped on their foreheads.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top