Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/27/2009 10:41:26 AM EDT
I have a bunch of these, and I have noticed a problem, or at least what I think might be a problem...not sure, not an expert so I though I'd ask you folks. From the beginning...When I insert an empty pmag, pull the charging handle back...the bolt group locks, then when I hit the bolt catch release it does as it should and the BCG slams home. When I do the same process with a tapco mag, the bolt catch gets caught on the mag follower and won't push the follower down to release the BCG when the mag is empty...anyone else have this issue, and is it a safety issue? I can dro the mag empty with no problem, I just can't release the BCG if the tapco mag is empty as I can with a pmag...any insight would be great.
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 10:46:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I would just get rid of these Mags and move on with more P-Mags.
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#2]
yeah I pretty much relegated my two tapco mags to the range bag.  don't recall having that issue.  I'll have to check them out tonight.  and I have to go with rifleshooter474....get you some pmags
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a bunch of these, and I have noticed a problem, or at least what I think might be a problem...not sure, not an expert so I though I'd ask you folks. From the beginning...When I insert an empty pmag, pull the charging handle back...the bolt group locks, then when I hit the bolt catch release it does as it should and the BCG slams home. When I do the same process with a tapco mag, the bolt catch gets caught on the mag follower and won't push the follower down to release the BCG when the mag is empty...anyone else have this issue, and is it a safety issue? I can dro the mag empty with no problem, I just can't release the BCG if the tapco mag is empty as I can with a pmag...any insight would be great.

It's not a safety issue. Replace the follower. That should solve the problem by the looks of it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 10:18:50 PM EDT
[#4]

I haven't had that problem with my tapco mags.

I had drop free issues.

Unfortunately, I have learned why so many people don't like the chrome silicon springs and avoid using them in mags. Mine developed a good amount of surface rust and I spent most of last weekend going over them with steel wool and oil. I don't even remember getting them wet either.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2009 4:28:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Roadie,

I haven't heard of anyone having the problem you've mentioned.  I'd love to have a look at that mag and send you a few new ones if that's ok with you.  I'll send you a PM with a phone number and email address.

Very cool.  Nice service.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 5:57:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Roadie,

I haven't heard of anyone having the problem you've mentioned.  I'd love to have a look at that mag and send you a few new ones if that's ok with you.  I'll send you a PM with a phone number and email address.

Very cool.  Nice service.

+1
good to see
Link Posted: 10/10/2009 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Update: The problem turned out to be the bolt catch,the lower that had the problem has a Del Ton LKP and the bolt catch is smaller than it should be. So the little tap on the catch that presses down on the rear of the follower misses it and jams into the side of the follower causing it to get stuck. Pmags have a larger rear end on their followers so this is not a problem for the magpul mags, but the Tapco tab is small. I have another lower that is for my .22lr dedicated upper and that one works just fine with the Tapco mags. So all I had to do was swap the lowers and problem fixed, since the .22lr rifle does not use the bolt catch feature.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top