Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2006 6:44:57 PM EDT
Pros and cons please about buying the 20 round mags (like CP sells them) with the slightly curved body VS the completely straight body others sell.

And, if I intend to do informal target shooting, is the 20 rounder straight mag preferable to the 20 round slightly curved  mag?
Link Posted: 10/20/2006 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both and use both.  They both work fine.  

For service rifle competitions you will need the straight mags.  The curved ones are not allowed by rule.  

I think you can use the magpul followers in the curved 20 rounders.  The magpuls do not fit the straight mags.  

Get a couple of both and see which style you like the best.

Good Luck and Stay Safe
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 6:22:09 AM EDT
[#2]
My understanding is. . .    The straight 20-rd magazines were first and worked well.  The curved magazines were invented simply because they can be made using the same tooling as 30-rd magazines.  I've used both and see no compelling reason to prefer one over the other.

As others have noted, you can't use the curved ones in service rifle competition because they are not USGI.

The new 20-rd steel magazines from CP are pretty neat.  The should prove more rugged than aluminum, and they come standard with anti-tilt followers.  I've only tested them briefly but had mostly good results.  (Out of six magazines one was defective, but CP handled it and the replacement arrived this morning.)
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 7:05:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
......I think you can use the magpul followers in the curved 20 rounders.  The magpuls do not fit the straight mags.  

Thanks for the input. If the point being made about the magpul followers is correct, then that would seem to be one important aspect of making a choice between the two different varieties as well. IF.....it's correct
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 7:28:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
......I think you can use the magpul followers in the curved 20 rounders.  The magpuls do not fit the straight mags.  

Thanks for the input. If the point being made about the magpul followers is correct, then that would seem to be one important aspect of making a choice between the two different varieties as well. IF.....it's correct

CProducts sells there 20 round mags with magpuls.  So they should work.   For what its work.  I don't have any problems with the standard green followers.  But if you want or need the magpuls, have at it.

Here you go.  CProducts link

D&H mags with Magpul sold by 44Mag and others.
Here you go.  D&H at 44Mag

Link Posted: 10/21/2006 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I can confirm that Magpul followers would not fit into my straight 20 rounders from Brownells, Wilson (NHMTG), or Rock River Arms (NHMTG).  I have since replaced them with curved 20 rounders from C Products so I could run the no-tilt follower.

I also have curved 20 rounder from DSG Inc with Magpul follower which is a pretty nice mag, though it is marked "Restricted Military / Law Enforcement Use Only".  They are also dated.  Neither of which I  really want on my mags.

BTW my C Products mags are not marked that way ("Restricted"), nor are they date marked.  I find this desireable as that may become important some time in the future.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Well then I'll likely order the CP mags being I think the magpull followers are a nice thing to have.

I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't overlooking anything as far as  user friendlyness when trying to do some target shooting from the bench. (non-competitive)

Weldingrod ,
Funny how everybody's concerns are different. Having an LEO marked magazine bothers me no more than having my LEO marked Cot Rifles. You know, when the supply of  LE/Military marked rifles started to dry up at gun show tables a few months after the sunset of the ban, those rifles were being sold for $100 more then the newly arriving unmarked rifles.
Any enforcement officer should know the difference between the banned 1994-2004 weapons/magazines, and future coming Hillary Ban weapons/magazines if he was so concerned to take it from you and read the fine print on it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#7]
height=8

Any enforcement officer should know the difference between the banned 1994-2004 weapons/magazines, and future coming Hillary Ban weapons/magazines if he was so concerned to take it from you and read the fine print on it.

I agree entirely, they certainly should.

How about standing trial for a defensive shooting and having the prosecutor showing a blown up overhead projection of the engraved words "Restricted to Miltary / Law Enforcement" from the rifle and/or mag that was used in the shooting?   I am sure that would be milked by the prosecution even more than the some of the "key" data in the Fish defensive shooting case in AZ where the jury convicted the defendent due in no small part to the fact  that the prosecutor convinced them that the shooter must be guilty of murder because he was evil enough to use (according to one of the female jurors) "a 10mm pistol with hollow point ammunition, which is more powerful than what the police have."

We should never have to deal with that kind of emotionalism and idiocy, but it is a reality.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 8:26:15 PM EDT
[#8]
If we're going to worry about the "what if's" during a defense trial, a lot is going to have to do with what state and city you're located, and ESPECIALLY what kind of guy you are, and have been in the past, and why it was necessary to use deadly force. I personally can't imagine ever pulling a gun on somebody during a fistfight, or shooting somebody who was running off with my property.....even if the POS of a human WAS on my property! You know, people kill other people all the time over stupid crap like that, and we wonder why they have to do the acadamy award performance of a lifetime in court?

And in the event anybody DOES rightfully have to use deadly force.....never mind the fine print that the prosecutor is reading off of the LEO magazine......I'd be more concerned with winning sympathy from the jury as to why I was using an AR15!

Frankly, I can't imagine ever having to reach for an AR15 in self defense, unless we have some really serious civil disorder. (katrina style flooding, nuclear attack, etc) My licensed handgun being called into action to thwart off a knife or gun threat by some slime ball is a much more likely scenario.  Then it would be a case of my spotless record and Hollow points VS the druggie with the $19 gravity knife and a rap sheet as long as a roll of toilet paper.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:28:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I prefer the straight Colt 20s with METAL follower.  They are the most reliable mags ever made for the AR15.  No metal followers for the curved 20s and the straight 20s dont need an anti tilt follower.
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree with DevL. I used to buy steel follower 20 rounders at the Army/Navy store almost 20 years ago for $2.99ea. (used). They work better than any new-fangled ones I've bought since for 5 times the price.
Wish I had a dozzen more!

The Ol' Crew Chief
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I prefer the straight Colt 20s with METAL follower.  They are the most reliable mags ever made for the AR15.  No metal followers for the curved 20s and the straight 20s dont need an anti tilt follower.

+1
They always work and they will work when no others will.
If they went back to the original, with the alloy followers, I would sell all my 30's.

Elvis
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If they went back to the original, with the alloy followers, I would sell all my 30's.

Elvis

Me too!  
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 6:56:33 AM EDT
[#13]
so I'm assuming the alloy followers are not available?
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 7:20:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Pros and cons please about buying the 20 round mags (like CP sells them) with the slightly curved body VS the completely straight body others sell.

And, if I intend to do informal target shooting, is the 20 rounder straight mag preferable to the 20 round slightly curved mag?

I dont think you can use a curved 20, with a m203 or flare launcher..so I think that is 1 con.   Not real sure though.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 7:28:37 AM EDT
[#15]
The STRAIGHT BODY 20 rounders are much better in my opinion.  I wouldn't even use the curved ones if given the opportunity.

You see, the straigh body mags have a different feed lip configuration.  They don't have that sharp corner on the REAR of the mag body.  That area is easily dented.  And when it's dented it changes the direction that the top round feeds.  Most of my bad 30 round mags have some sort of damage in that area.

The straight body 20 rounder's feed lips are a little less prone to damage, and even if the get a dent you can fix them yourself.  If that rear corner on a 30 gets dinged, you're shit out of luck.

Peoplel often attribute the reliability of the straight 20 to the alloy follower, I just think it's in the feed lip design.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Peoplel often attribute the reliability of the straight 20 to the alloy follower, I just think it's in the feed lip design.

Besides...Why discuss antiques? It doesn't do me a whole lotta good to  be told how great the old stuff WAS that had the alloy followers.  I want to buy stuff that IS available and sold TODAY.

Link Posted: 10/24/2006 10:29:46 AM EDT
[#17]
It is sold today.  All over the internet.  They are not cheap but they are still available.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It is sold today.  All over the internet.  They are not cheap but they are still available.

Yep!  I sold all my aluminum followered 20s and replaced them with new production NHMTG 20s, and kept the difference.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 12:36:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
so I'm assuming the alloy followers are not available?

They are available.  They are probably no better than plastic followers but have a large following (no pun intended)
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 7:15:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks, yea I do see where some are selling these, like was said before, they come at a high $$$.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Curved ones use the same followers as 30-rnd mags.
The straight ones are slightly shorter.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#22]
A guy here sells very good to excellent condition used straight ones for $10 at local shows.

They are definitely better than the new stuff...  Not much, but a little.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 7:51:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I actually cut an older Gen I magpul follower to fit in a Colt straight 20 rounder. Had to bend up the retainer tab to get it in and then bend it back down once it was installed. It slightly drew the tab forward a little when bending back so that when the base plate went back on it was about a 16th of an inch from sliding completely closed when the tab locked into the baseplate slot. Works well and was an interesting little project but I wouldn't do it again. It doesn't really make a difference as far as reliability.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The STRAIGHT BODY 20 rounders are much better in my opinion.  I wouldn't even use the curved ones if given the opportunity.

You see, the straigh body mags have a different feed lip configuration.  They don't have that sharp corner on the REAR of the mag body.  That area is easily dented.  And when it's dented it changes the direction that the top round feeds.  Most of my bad 30 round mags have some sort of damage in that area.

The straight body 20 rounder's feed lips are a little less prone to damage, and even if the get a dent you can fix them yourself.  If that rear corner on a 30 gets dinged, you're shit out of luck.

+1

I would never use a fagged up curved 20 rd.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:12:08 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
+1

I would never use a fagged up curved 20 rd.

That's what I meant to say.  But I thought if I didn't back it up with some sort of reasoning, then no one would listen!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, I just ordered two of those bent "fagged-up" magazines today from CProducts. And to top it off I paid more then twice the price to get them in steel instead of aluminum.

I guess that makes me super-fag!

I'll give you a range report and let you know if the smoke out of the barrel is pink, or if the bullets waltz their way to the target.    

toot-a-loo darling

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 4:26:09 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I guess that makes me super-fag!

Nah!  You'll probably be fine!  The straight 20s just have a super reputation.  I've never heard that the curved 20s are bad.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#28]
height=8
I'll give you a range report and let you know if the smoke out of the barrel is pink, or if the bullets waltz their way to the target.    

toot-a-loo darling
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top