Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2006 8:38:28 AM EDT
I bought a bunch of the C-products curved 20-rounders recently.  I got them with CS springs and Magpul grey followers installed.  I loaded them up (Wolf 55 gr fmj, steel cased) at home, so when I took them to the range I only ran one box of ammo through each one.  I had some problems.

Each mag fed every round just fine, but after the last round half of them failed to hold open the bolt.  

My rifle is a Bushmaster.  It is not a parts gun and I don't have this problem with 30-rounders with Magpuls or with green followers or 20-rd straight mags.

Do the CS springs have a "break-in" or something?  Is it possible that my ammo was underpowered and failed to force the bolt & carrier back far enough?  I did not run a second box through any of the mags.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2006 8:49:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I think posting this to AR15.com before you gave Larry a chance to talk to you about your problem first hand is only gonna make YOU look stupid.

And yeh ya did ask......

Mike
Link Posted: 5/15/2006 8:53:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I am not making any accusations...if read the whole post, you would see that I do not leave out the possibility that the springs may need a "break in" or that my ammo may be the problem.

Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 5/15/2006 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/15/2006 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think posting this to AR15.com before you gave Larry a chance to talk to you about your problem first hand is only gonna make YOU look stupid.

And yeh ya did ask......

Mike

Ditto. Why do people post problems on the internet before calling the manufacturer directly??? Do they believe the folks on the internet can help more than the manufacturer???
Link Posted: 5/15/2006 9:46:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/15/2006 10:48:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll give you a call.  I may try to get out to the range this week before I send them in, because I still think my problem could be ammo-related.  I have read some posts in the past on AR15.COM that Wolf is loaded pretty light.  If that's the case, maybe the bolt isn't getting enough "push" to engage the hold-open.  It makes sense to me, anyway.

I meant no slander toward C-Products.  I read that CS springs 'take a set' the first time that you use them and did not really know what that meant.  And if I owe an apology then here it is..."sorry".  I certainly have not come to the conclusion that their stuff is inferior, and in fact may very well do business with them again in the future.      
Link Posted: 5/15/2006 11:16:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/15/2006 11:29:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And yeh ya did ask......

Mike

Ditto. Why do people post problems on the internet before calling the manufacturer directly??? Do they believe the folks on the internet can help more than the manufacturer???

Call it a sanity check.  If you don't like it, don't click it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2006 12:35:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

And yeh ya did ask......

Mike

Not to start an argument ( I know how it happens on here) but I think that sometimes posting on ar15.com might actually help cproducts out when people see how easy and quick Larry is to respond to questions/problems. I know that when I was looking for new mags I searched through here looking for who makes the best and cproducts seemed to have a positive feedback on product and customer services. When people had problems with D&H mags I don't recall ever seeing anyone from their company on here. Anyway...like I said not trying to start any arguments, but overall I think that seeing the way cproducts handles themselves here on ar15.com, influenced my purchase and future purchases.
Link Posted: 5/15/2006 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I meant no slander toward C-Products.  I read that CS springs 'take a set' the first time that you use them and did not really know what that meant.  And if I owe an apology then here it is..."sorry".   I certainly have not come to the conclusion that their stuff is inferior, and in fact may very well do business with them again in the future.

I find your apology is needless.  As to the "How dare he?" crowd- This is a DISCUSSION FORUM...  Not many spend as much time in the Magazine forum as others.  Anyone who does frequent this area would realize that Larry is open to discussions & conversations concerning his prodcuts.  This is evidenced by him posting his contact info here on numerous occasions.  Further it allows those who infrequently stop by to see CProduct's excellent service and goods. Just an observation on my part; Larry's ceaseless ability to so keenly extend his genuine concern for his customers, products & company's reputation itself will never get old. (See edit below concerning the preceding paragraph)

As to the O.P. & this is just off the top of my head:  If in fact the Wolf ammo is a bit on the weak side... Couple that w/ a stiff spring on a new magazine- thus slowing the bolt's rearward travel due to the friction created as the follower rides the bolt carrier during it's rearward travel- it just may be several contributing factors working against BUBBAMAN.  If we're talking about a failure to engage the bolt hold open during the bolt's rearward travel by a shortfall of perhaps thousandths of an inch- I'd be hesitant to contact the mag mfg until I'd done some further testing & made some inquiries on a board full of folks who just might have been down the same road.

Keep us in the loop on what your final determination is theBUBBAMANcan.  Initially I, like yourself, happen to think the problem is contributed to something aside from the magazines themselves unless the symptoms are constant when using other ammo and/or the same mags in in a different weapon.

Sly

Edit: I began typing this before Larry's 3rd response.  But still feel it's worth posting in its entirety.
Link Posted: 5/15/2006 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Not to start an argument ( I know how it happens on here) but I think that sometimes posting on ar15.com might actually help cproducts out when people see how easy and quick Larry is to respond to questions/problems. I know that when I was looking for new mags I searched through here looking for who makes the best and cproducts seemed to have a positive feedback on product and customer services. When people had problems with D&H mags I don't recall ever seeing anyone from their company on here. Anyway...like I said not trying to start any arguments, but overall I think that seeing the way cproducts handles themselves here on ar15.com, influenced my purchase and future purchases.

Excellent post TeamMung & welcome to ARFcomm.

Sly
Link Posted: 5/15/2006 1:06:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/15/2006 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Everyone,
Thanks for your support.

The discussions concerning this problem is exactly what this forum is all about. You will never have a problem with me and what is said as long as it is constructive. Thanks for keeping it that way.

One thing we have discovered and we don't have an answer to is this....we have had 3- 20 round magazines in the last 2 weeks that would not load 20 rounds only 19. We cut the spring by 1 coil and they work flawlessly. The springs were to print and when in the mag seated to solid height. BUBBAMAN...would you try that and let me know what happens? Just 1 mag. If it doesn't work I will replace it.

Does anyone have any other thoughts? Thanks

Larry
C Products

I was one of those with the 19 rnd mags. Larry took care of the problem by sendin me another.  he had me send it back to see what was wrong with it, and hes sendin me a new one.  just a great bunch of people to deal with.
Link Posted: 5/15/2006 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

And yeh ya did ask......

Mike

This is exactly what this forum is for, for asking questions and discussing magazines.  It's not a praise only forum.
Link Posted: 5/15/2006 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And yeh ya did ask......

Mike

This is exactly what this forum is for, for asking questions and discussing magazines.  It's not a praise only forum.

I agree.  It's entirely different when somebody comes on and says, "XYZ company sucks moose balls.  My flingerbangers don't work.  Don't buy any flingerbangers from XYZ company".  Meanwhile, they haven't even tried to remedy the problem with the manufacturer/retailer.
Link Posted: 5/15/2006 2:44:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I bought a bunch of the C-products curved 20-rounders recently.  I got them with CS springs and Magpul grey followers installed.  I loaded them up (Wolf 55 gr fmj, steel cased) at home, so when I took them to the range I only ran one box of ammo through each one.  I had some problems.

Each mag fed every round just fine, but after the last round half of them failed to hold open the bolt.   .......................

Do you have one of the "buffers" installed behind your bolt carrier? Just a thought. I had one in a FAL and it did the same thing with some mags. Had to adjust the gas. Then just ditched it and reset to normal.
Link Posted: 5/16/2006 5:53:01 AM EDT
[#17]
To fill in some of the details people have been asking about...

My rifle is a 100% stock Bushmaster "post-ban"...aftermarket parts on the rifle itself and it is not a parts gun.  It is low-miles, maybe 2-3000 rds or so through it, so the buffer spring could be a little tight yet.  I lube it very lightly with Break-free.  I have good luck with just about any 30 rd mags that I use in it, especially since I have put Magpuls in all of them.  Also, I do lightly lube the buffer spring with a little litheum grease.  Perhaps this is an issue, but it hasn't been with other mags/ammo in the past.  

Larry,  if you really want me to I may trim the spring on a mag but I kinda hate to do that because all of the mags you sent me loaded just fine to 20 rds, so I don't see how it can help.

The first thing that I want to do is try these mags with a different ammo.  Give me a few days, because it's don't nothing but rain here in WI for about a week now, and it's pouring again today.  I'll re-post with results when the weather breaks...(gives me an excuse to tell the wife I need to go to the range anyway).

Link Posted: 5/16/2006 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#18]
As you mention, it's possible that the Wolf ammo isn't powerful enough to force the carrier back far enough.  I'd try some Winchester White Box or other SAAMI spec .223 before I'd assume it's a problem with the mags.  To save money, buy a box of 20 and load one of the brass rounds as the last round in each mag and see if you still have the problem.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2006 12:44:43 PM EDT
[#19]
That's a good idea, danno!  That should work, thanks!
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 6:41:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Well, I finally got out to the range today.  

I loaded 4 C-Products 20 round mags with Wolf ammo, but I loaded the last round with a better grade of ammo.

Each mag functioned flawlessly, and the bolt locked open correctly after the last round.

I attribute my past malfunctions to the Wolf ammo, not the mags!!
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Bubbaman, ignore the apologists.  Had you posted about a D&H mag problem they would have piled on.  Opinion here hovers around the latest buzz and shifts like the wind.
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#23]
There's nothing wrong with 'going public' with problems, but that's what this is for, not here.  

Putting it here is more of a 'fix me or I'll shame you' post before you even have a chance to be fixed.....  A little uncalled for.
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
There's nothing wrong with 'going public' with problems, but that's what this is for, not here.  

Putting it here is more of a 'fix me or I'll shame you' post before you even have a chance to be fixed.....  A little uncalled for.

I disagree too.  Bubba did not accuse CP of anything.  I read it as a request for suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 7:29:45 PM EDT
[#26]
didn't mean to come off as accusatory, but this thread is a credit to CProducts.  What a company!
Link Posted: 5/30/2006 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#27]
...just thought I'd mention....I run Wolf poly 55 grain all the time, through CP curved 20's (green follower, SS spring) no problems with the bolt catch failing to operate, mag malfs, etc. However, I do lube every 250 rounds & clean after 500 (or so).

Hotgun
Link Posted: 6/1/2006 4:00:52 AM EDT
[#28]
While my AR-15 uses the 7.62x39 Russian round, we have run over 700 rounds of Wolf Russian Ammo through it.  I have noticed that the Wolf Ammo gives me a more powerful kick over U.S. manufacture rounds fired.

In my case where the bolt failed to lock back it was due to a mag that was malfunctioning (NOT a C Product mag) because of poor quality.  That is why I can’t wait to get my new mags from C Products for my AR-15.

I have talked with Larry several times and with their forced quality control making me wait, I know it will be a good product.  I have no fear that if I do have a problem that all I’ll have to do is just give him a call and all will be made right!

ArticWolf
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top