Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2005 3:20:51 PM EDT
With its troubled combat history (and the Army's withdrawal of them from combat), what's been done to product improve it?
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 3:25:11 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
With its troubled combat history (and the Army's withdrawal of them from combat), what's been done to product improve it?

I think they have a tendency to break if dropped when loaded.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, its more than than that.

The Brits had problems with them back in 1986 or so (failure to feed the last 18 rounds) which was supposed to be due to the lower pressure of the British 5.56x45mm.

In 2001 TACOM issued a contract for them for use in M249 SAWs.

In Afghanistan the system proved unreliable in combat and in 2002 TACOM issued Ground Precautionary Message GPM-02-017 "Commercial 100-Round Magazine for Use in M249 Squad Automatic Weapon (SAW)." This addressed C-Mag failures and recommended they not be used operationally.

The tests conducted in July 2002 with the 82nd in Afghanistan bore out the earlier findings.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I have heard reports that even standard 30 round mags havea fair rate of failure in SAWs.  People have said they should leave out the mag well and save some weight.  From what I hear I wouldn't crawl through a mudhole with one but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one to mess around with.  I was saving up the cash for one until I came across a firepower drum.  I figured for $150 less I would take the 75 round drum and spend the rest on ammo.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#4]
So, looks like Beta C's are another "show" item......

At least the non LE/Military can own them now....... the choice has been given back to us.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 5:07:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one that shattered last week (completely unloaded) when it dropped.   The tower was in at least 10 pieces and drum got a small crack.    I'll post some photos Monday when I get back from my Thanksgiving vacation.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Hera ya go...

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:57:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have one that shattered last week (completely unloaded) when it dropped.   The tower was in at least 10 pieces and drum got a small crack.    I'll post some photos Monday when I get back from my Thanksgiving vacation.

while yer at it post some more of this: http://photos.ar15.com/Galleries/Avatars/32956.jpg
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top