Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/20/2002 2:38:13 PM EDT
Opinions please.  Can they stay loaded for extended periods of time without causing damage, do they feed properly, are they durable, will the lips melt under rapid fire, etc...............??????????
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Where is the best place to purchase Thermold's online?  

Does anyone have a website link for Classic Arms?
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I leave my thermolds loaded for long periods of time.  I have yet to ever have a failure from them.  I have had failures from USGI mags.  I think the thermolds are more durable, which also translates to more reliable.

I emptied 7 as fast as I could fire one time, didn't even think about melting.

Mike

I agree, Ive had a few problems with USGI (just a few) but never one with a thermold.
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 7:59:52 PM EDT
[#3]
toytotaman,

You can call Classic Arms at 1-800-383-8011, M-F 9-5 Eastern. They've had them for $20 new for quite a while now, doesn't get much lower for new US Thermolds.
Link Posted: 8/25/2002 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I love mine. Ive never had a problem of any type with Thermolds.          
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Ahhhhh shoot!  Classic Arms is all out and no more to come in...  Just a bit too late.  Anyone know of some other places online or anywhere for that matter to snag new US Thermolds?

-------------

sksman.com -- anyone have experience ordering from here?
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Flea Mkt. last weekend and I picked up 4 new USA Thermolds for $15.  Glad I did.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 12:07:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I think the US Thermolds are awesome (not the Canadian ones with maple leaf on side which are made of a cheaper plastic).  The US ones won't melt under rapid fire...  

Really?  How many Canadian Thermolds have you personally melted with rapid fire?

Link Posted: 9/4/2002 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#8]
o.k., here's my theroy on the canadian thermold melting thing.

when they were used by the canadian military, that is.

full auto fire generates a lot of heat, a lot more than even , fast semi auto fire.

secondly, blank firing generates a lot of heat, more than regular rounds, so, you couple full auto fire with blanks, and you get EXTREMELY high temperatures.

my hunch is that if you had put some US made thermolds under the same stress, they would melt as well.
the reason we never heard about the us ones melting, is who uses full auto blank fire other than the military, and they don't use thermolds, do they?
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 12:38:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

the reason we never heard about the us ones melting, is who uses full auto blank fire other than the military, and they don't use thermolds, do they?

Exactly.  I've been using the same two Canadian Thermolds everytime I go to the range for the last seven years (I bought them used in 1996).  In that time, I've dropped them, abused them, and rapid-fired hundreds (if not thousands) of rounds through them.  I have never experienced a jam or malfunction at all.  And I have never experienced melting, even in Texas summer heat.

The complaint against Canadian Thermolds is that they melt when firing blanks on full-auto.  That may be true (even a Steyr Aug stock will melt slightly if enough mags are consecutively fed through it on full-auto), but I'll bet not many people fire blanks on full-auto.  To my experience, Canadian Thermolds are give a terribly bad rap.  Mine have have performed flawlessly ever since I bought them (used) in 1996.

Link Posted: 9/4/2002 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, for that matter--US or Canadian Termolds... I'm really indifferent.  I do not envision or see it possible for me to put the magazines under the stress that will melt them.  All I know is that they seem to be disappearing fast, and I would like to get my paws on some before they disapper.  Any personal recommendations would be great (yes, I will call around to some gunshops after work tonight, but I would like some online referrals as well).

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Whether you get U.S. or Canadian Thermolds, you'll be fine.  I've got several Thermolds, and they all work fine.  I believe Arizona Gun Runners has U.S. Thermold 30-rounders for $25.95 each.

Click on www.arizonagunrunners.com/Magazines/magazines.html and enter "thermold" in the 'Search:' field.

You can also visit:
mattsks.villagecomputer.net/prd0036.htm
www.usafirearms.com/details.asp?ID=47&subid=76
www.sksman.com/access/ar15%20mags.html
www.omegamanenterprises.com/hicapacitypistolandriflemags.htm
www.tmcarms.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TA&Product_Code=TDD1030145

I think the days of $18-$20 Thermolds is over.  With few exceptions, plan on spending around $25 each, new.

Link Posted: 9/4/2002 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm gathering that myself.  Here's my question, though.  Who is reputable?  I want to make sure I deal with someone who is honest.  Any personal dealings you guys have with someone online that has been good--let me know.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 1:38:27 PM EDT
[#13]
i've always had good luck dealing with arizona gunrunners, they have sets of 4 for around 90.00.

good people, prompt service, as well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Went ahead and ordered me 2 Thermolds from Arizona Gun Runners tonight.  Would really have liked to gotten twice that, but i'm kinda tight on funds... still have yet to get my AR (one month!!).  Anyway, hope they are in fact in stock.  Will find out shortly I'm sure.

Thanks for the links and recommendations!
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I have never had a problem with Thermold mags either. I have about 20 or so.
I have left Thermolds loaded for about two years with no problems but I shot them empty and figured that it might cause problems with the feed lips to leave that much pressure on them. So I just leave USGI's loaded now. As much as they cost to replace I figure I'll play it safe.

Someone posted about 4 months ago that they had lots of problems with Thermolds in sandy conditions. If I recall correctly, the poster said that in a match or something he dropped his empty thermold in the sand and that it was useless for the rest of the day.

Like I said I've never had a problem at all with mine and made a mental note to be carefull with them under sandy conditions.

My.02
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 7:53:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Ever have problems with Thermolds not locking into the magwell?  When my Thermolds are fully loaded, they will NOT lock in.  It doesn't matter if the bolt is closed or open.  Never had a problem with USGI metal mags though.

Did I get a bunch (12) of defective Thermold mags?
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#17]
last_mile2002,
I dont know. I've never had any trouble with mine locking into place. I guess you either have mags out of spec or a magwell/magcatch out of spec. I've heard some brands have magwells that are finicky.
I have shot my Thermolds out of a Bushmaster, RockRiver and several Colts and they locked up every time with no problems. I have no experence with other brands. What kind of AR do you have?
My Thermolds are made in Wilson N.C. What is written on yours?
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Thermolds ROCK.
I've got a dozen, and none of them has ever caused a FTF or any other problems.  I keep six of them loaded with Q3131A for emergencies, and haven't seen any problems with spring compression over time.  If I found some as cheap as these ($20 new), I'd jump on them.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Another US Thermold Fan Here.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 3:53:37 PM EDT
[#21]
FRO and Troy,
Thanks for the info.  I think I'll try to sand the mags down a bit first.  Its strange, they lock into my Bushmaster just fine unloaded, but fully loaded they won't.  Some people have said the mags might be swelling due to the rounds be pushed by the spring.

Thanks for helping a newbie.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#22]
last_mile2002
I bought two orlite mags once. They fit tight empty and would not drop free. When they were full they expanded and were really tight. My Thermolds have never done that. I got rid of the orlites.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
FRO and Troy,
Thanks for the info.  I think I'll try to sand the mags down a bit first.  Its strange, they lock into my Bushmaster just fine unloaded, but fully loaded they won't.  Some people have said the mags might be swelling due to the rounds be pushed by the spring.

Thanks for helping a newbie.

before you sand anything, try loading the mags with 28 or 29 rounds and see what happens.  i had some i had to do this with for a fewmonths, and now i can load 30.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#24]
serpico40,
Will try downloading the Thermolds with 28 rounds and see if it helps in the future.  thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 7:55:43 AM EDT
[#26]
I have about a 50/50 split between Thermolds and USGI mags and a few of the usa mags I bought before I knew better (mag well dust plugs actually)I picked up a few for the M1A as well and fond those to be just as good as My M14 USGI mags -- in the process I found that the canadian thermelt reputation has spread to all thermolds I was at a shoot and had the M14 thermold out and one of the old guys walked by and asked if I liked those mags I told him sure and he came back a few minuites later with two and tossed em to me I tred to give him 20 bucks for em and he refused saying they were junk and had a habit of melting etc etc.. Oh well I have never had a problem with them at all and with GI mags for M14s starting at $36 I was happy as I could be. I hit the firing line later on and ran through 40 rounds semi fast without a hitch I dont know if he noticed or not they look funky compared to M14 mags but work just fine.
The very firstone for it I got was less than $15 bucks off of e-bay as no-one seemed to wantto touch em so I got one more for collector value or ooh factor more than anything else and found out they work great. I would buy thermolds next to usgi anyday.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Two Thermold question that Troy's Mag-FAQ did not answer:

1) The H21 and H22 "marks" on the US-produced Thermolds seems significant to buyers/sellers on this site.  Could someone give the background to this?

2) In an earlier post on this thread, Troy gives an explanation for someone's Thermold locking difficulty in an AR magwell which sounds very much like the under-20-Orlite / Bushmaster locking problem.  Is this Thermold "condition" comparable in scale to that Orlite "problem"?
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 6:41:53 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

1) The H21 and H22 "marks" on the US-produced Thermolds seems significant to buyers/sellers on this site.  Could someone give the background to this?

2) In an earlier post on this thread, Troy gives an explanation for someone's Thermold locking difficulty in an AR magwell which sounds very much like the under-20-Orlite / Bushmaster locking problem.  Is this Thermold "condition" comparable in scale to that Orlite "problem"?

I think the H21 and H22 markings refer to the mold numbers.  Not all Thermolds are made from the same mold, and different molds will have different characteristics.  I've heard people speculate about certain molds, so I'm tempted to go check mine.

Link Posted: 9/11/2002 11:47:41 AM EDT
[#29]
I have had excellent reliability from 30 round Thermolds in my ARs and Daewoos.

The 20 round Thermolds were "iffy" in both the Ar's and Daewoos.

Thermolds did NOT function in my SA M1A.

ht
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Hi all, this is my first time posting, but I have really enjoyed this site.  A lot of you guys are incredibly knowledgeable about this stuff - very cool.  

Anyway, speaking of Thermolds, I have an interesting situation.  I have three Thermolds.  They all fit & function fine in my Bushmaster Per-Ban carbine, but none of them will seat in my Bushmaster Post-Ban V-Match Carbine - with the bolt closed.  It does not matter if the Thermolds are loaded or unloaded, they do not lock in.  The feed lips on the Thermold hit the bottom of the bolt before the mag latch can catch and lock.  If I open the bolt, the mags seat fine and lock in.  But if you try to release the bolt, the bolt face hits the back of the feed lips on the Thermold and will not move forward.  It is only touching a tiny bit, but too much to try and remove with a file as I do not want to weaken the feed lips in the slightest.

They all state that they are made in Wilson, NC.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.  I have already had to send the brand new bolt back to Bushmaster on my V-Match as it had a bur and would not extract correctly.  Any thoughts on if it is the mag or the gun?
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 6:49:25 AM EDT
[#31]
I have a Bushmaster.  I've been told using Thermolds with the 22H on them will work without modification of the over insertion rib.  Thermolds with the 21H on them may need some work.

I don't know this for a fact, but every time I go to a gun show and buy Thermolds, the vendors asks if I have a Bushmaster or not.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Rather than start a new thread, I figured it best that I just go ahead and bring this one back to the top.  I have 4 Thermold mags for my ArmaLite M15A2 Carbine I picked up just this morning (I have a big smile on my face about this purchase--my first AR15 have
Any suggestions that might be able to get me to that 30th round in these great magazines?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#33]
just use them a few times.  and then you will be able to get all 30 in.  everything is probably still too new tight.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Would you say keeping them packed for a little while will break the spring in more and allow it to get a 30th in?  I've been kindof assume they just need a breakin, but wanted to make sure there might not be something that can be done to help speed up the process.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 8:50:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The 20 round Thermolds were "iffy" in both the Ar's and Daewoos.

I'll be glad to take any 20 round Thermolds off your hands.  I love them.  They are all I use at the range.

For the "longtimers", remember when Ronin45 was selling Thermold 30 rounders for $14?  I miss those days.

USPC40

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
SAF Supporter
SAS Supporter

Link Posted: 10/5/2002 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I have a few Orlite mags, 08 & 09 and they fit and function perfectly in my Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#37]
you really need to load them full and then empty them a few times.....  or try cycling witha ruler like troy recommends....
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

For the "longtimers", remember when Ronin45 was selling Thermold 30 rounders for $14?  I miss those days.

USPC40

www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/line.gif
NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
SAF Supporter
SAS Supporter

www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif

And what an idiot I was not to buy more 30s early last year!
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#39]
WENT TO THE RANGE,SEEMS I DROPPED 1 OF MY THERMOLDS(MADE IN USA) IN THE DIRT,BACKED OVER IT..MY SHOOTIN BUDDY WAS BANGING ON MY CAR WINDOW,TOLD ME,I JUST WATCHED YOU RUN OVER THIS MAG,I CLEANED IT OUT,LOADED IT UP,AND I AM STILL USING IT..NO DAMAGE!!!!!THESE ARE SOME TOUGH MAGS..LEAVE THEM LOADED ALL THE TIME,SINCE I THINK THEY HAVE A RATHER STIFF SPRING ANYWAY,I HAVE NOT NOTICED ANY WEAKNESS IN THE SPRINGS..SINCE I GOT MY LULU,NOW I UNLOAD THEM..YOU GUYS W/THE LULU'S KNOW WHY,ABOUT 3 SECONDS TO UNLOAD A MAG.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 9:42:50 AM EDT
[#40]
I came to find my problem was me having a severe case of being a numbskull.  I wasn't paying attention when I took my mags apart, and I put them back together with the springs in backwards, which caused it to only accept 29 rounds.  All is well now to get 30 rounds in now that the springs are actually in the right direction.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 5:47:13 PM EDT
[#41]
thanks for the honesty swad...  that's a handy thing to remember.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 6:08:40 PM EDT
[#42]
I happen to live in Wilson NC.  I understand they still make mags for export to military. Their business was harmed dramatically by the 94 ban.

I wish I could drive 5 min up the road and buy a truckload.

Link Posted: 10/18/2002 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Second best to USGI only.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top