Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/14/2012 6:46:18 AM EDT
Is this ammo good for indoor use? Or should I use 75gr TAP or something else. I have 1:7
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:04:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Any cartridge capable of penetrating bad guys deeply enough to be useful in defense will penetrate many walls. Any .223/5.56mm  will do this. TAP is known to produce significant disruption in gel and penetrate properly. There is no death ray. What you have ought to blast nice holes in bad guys.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:07:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I think I'm trying to say does TAP overpenetrate indoors?
Hmmm
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:35:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is this ammo good for indoor use? Or should I use 75gr TAP or something else. I have 1:7

I use Barrier Blind loads like BH 5.56mm 50gr TSX
Just like I would use my P229 40sw 180gr ranger T

I can see a BG using cover inside a home pretty easy.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#5]
The 55Gn polymer tip bullets have performed very well in police shootings. The 60GN would probably be even better due to their slightly deeper penetration.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Before you lose any sleep over what kind of ammo you need try and find evidence that a home owner has had a shoot out in their home with a bad guy using an AR-15.
could be fun to see what the odds are before you spend any time or money on this issue.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before you lose any sleep over what kind of ammo you need try and find evidence that a home owner has had a shoot out in their home with a bad guy using an AR-15.
could be fun to see what the odds are before you spend any time or money on this issue.

What IF its his only weapon??
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Any TAP round will work fine. I personally use a Glock 22 with a Surefire light as my home defense weapon. 15 rounds of 155gr Hornady XTP's.  I dont like walking the hallways and close quarters with a long gun unless I have no other weapon. My AR15A2 Colt carbine sits in the safe with a loaded mag of BH 62 gr TSX should I need anything else.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 4:54:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The 55Gn polymer tip bullets have performed very well in police shootings. The 60GN would probably be even better due to their slightly deeper penetration.

Except when Bad guy is hiding behind something.  Hornady 55 and 60 grain TAP is nothing more than a varmit bullet.  Rapid fragmentation.  A shooting in Texas involved police using Winchester's version of TAP. BG took cover inside his car. He was peppered with bullet fragments but nothing that stopped him.  A .40 cal pistol bullet made it through the door and stopped him.  Since then, my agency switched to bonded ammo.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 7:28:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except when Bad guy is hiding behind something.  Hornady 55 and 60 grain TAP is nothing more than a varmit bullet.  Rapid fragmentation.  A shooting in Texas involved police using Winchester's version of TAP. BG took cover inside his car. He was peppered with bullet fragments but nothing that stopped him.  A .40 cal pistol bullet made it through the door and stopped him.  Since then, my agency switched to bonded ammo.

Yep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCPjJTtDS6g&feature=related
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except when Bad guy is hiding behind something.  

I've spoken to cops who were unhappy with the performance of their handgun ammo. I've spoken to cops who were unhappy with the performance of OO Buck. But I've never spoken to a single cop who was unhappy with the performance of his rifle ammo following a shooting using 55Gn TAP, 55Gn Ballistic silvertip or even 55Gn JSP.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seems so simple to understand.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except when Bad guy is hiding behind something.  

Hornady 55 and 60 grain TAP is nothing more than a varmit bullet.  Rapid fragmentation.  

A shooting in Texas involved police using Winchester's version of TAP.

BG took cover inside his car. He was peppered with bullet fragments but nothing that stopped him.  A .40 cal pistol bullet made it through the door and stopped him.  Since then, my agency switched to bonded ammo.

I'm curious to know ...

What "Winchester version" of TAP are you referring to?

During the incident that you mentioned, what grain bullet was used?

Given that the question is about HD, have you considered the fact that car doors aren't made of sheetrock?

Regardless, I doubt that anyone would be willing to "take cover" behind an interior wall, or door, or other object in a home as a 60gr TAP round is launched in their general direction, and then go on to suggest that it's "nothing more than a varmint bullet".

The point being ... much as I tend to stay pretty close to 'the list" ... even though 60gr TAP isn't on it, I'd have no problem using that round with confidence for HD.

$0.02

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top