Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2010 12:31:58 PM EDT
http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/wolfganggross/cutaways7/cutaways7041.jpg

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/wolfganggross/cutaways7/cutaways7040.jpg

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv360/wolfganggross/cutaways7/cutaways7038.jpg

7.62x51 M62 brown tip, green tracer  headstamp LC/91
These were used in Iraq to confuse the enemy, so that they would think it wasn't the Americans shooting at them.  

wolf

Link Posted: 12/31/2010 1:40:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Who used it? Speical Forces? Was it widely used or only in a few instances? I was there for Desert Shield and Desert Storm...we were only issued standard orange tip/red trace M-62 tracers...

Have these green tracers been used since DS/DS?

1DD
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, can you explain this more?  Maybe include a source?
Link Posted: 12/31/2010 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#3]
My guess would be for training.

"Used to confuse the enemy" sounds like a sea story.  If I was fanning out green tracer, I'd expect to be on the receiving end of some 25 mike-mike from an LAV.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 4:39:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I think what you have there is M62 (Overhead Fire Mission) tracer:

Cartridge, 7.62mm, Tracer, M62 (OVERHEAD FIRE MISSION)

Use:
M60. 240 and M219 Machine Guns
Rifle, 7.62mm, M14
The cartridge is intended to permit visible observation of the bullet's in-flight path or trajectory to the point of impact. The cartridge is used for firing over the heads of troops being trained in field exercises. Stringent production control and screening of ammunition lots ensure the safety of personnel operating immediately below the trajectory of the fired bullets.

Description:
TRACER. The cartridge is identified by a red bullet tip.

Weight - 387 grains
Length - 2.8 in.
Primer - Percussion (Crimped into case)
Propellant - WC 846
Charge - 46 grains
Projectile - 146 grain flat based bullet w/ cannelure and tracer compound in rear of base.
Chamber Pressure - 50,000 psi
Velocity - 2750 fps, 78 feet from muzzle

Link Posted: 1/1/2011 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#5]
From my cartridge collecting days, which are long over since I am retired, I had a 5 rd M14 clip of this stuff.  It was dated in '91 like the example shown.  From contact with other friends in the SOF community, it was issued only to SF or SEAL's....mostly SF.  Used as Wolf explained...pull out a mag of this stuff and put in the M21 or other 7.62 rifle and fire back, and they would usually break contact due to them knowing the NATO forces used only red tracers.  Can't remember if I still have it in my collection or not, but I also can't remember if it was officially called M62 or another designation.  Also, I had some early IR tracer, a green/white tip (or reversed), and I have some of the newer purple tipped 7.62 IR tracer as well.  Hope this does not muddy up the discussion too much!  

Edited:  all of the overhead fire tracer I ever saw was either red or orange tipped, not the brown/maroon tip like the subject is.
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 10:53:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Very nice !! Perhaps you could show the different AK bullets ? Both 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 ....
Link Posted: 1/1/2011 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Searched the web for a couple of hours and could not find anything about these brown tips.  Glad to see that the questions got anwsered on its own, thank you very much for all the help.  On a different forum asked same if anyone new anything.  One gentleman said its true, and they even have a .50 BMG thats a green tracer, but has a green tip because they already had a brown tip tracer (M17).   The 7.62x39 photos are coming soon.   Just got done cutting over 100 different kinds.  wolf
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top