Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/30/2008 1:33:29 PM EDT
This ammo has an orange colored bullet and the very tip is blue. Cases are brass and is marked Norinco 223.

What does this designate? What is it?

I got it from a really old guy. Who lived really really really far out of town.

Link Posted: 5/30/2008 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe he painted the tips and sold 'em to a young guy, who lives in town.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Couldnt possibly...

The money I gave him was for other items. These and other things were freebies...

He had a large grocery sack full of loose brass and bullets.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Reloads.

The silver primer gives it away.

And that looks more like my wife's 'coral' nail polish than 'orange', but its probably the picture.

The markings on the projectiles are hand-done (irregular) - probably nail polish or paint used to mark a particular load (powder trype; charge weight; primer manufactur; projectile type / weight) done by the reloader for his own, unknown reason.

I never, ever, never shoot anyone else's reloads (except Black Hills 'remanufactured' and I might consider shooting Georgia Arms, maybe...), and I would never, ever, never shoot any I got from 'some old guy' (other than me, so they'd be my reloads).
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Maybe he painted the tips and sold 'em to a young guy, who lives in town.

Scorch marks on the neck and reload stylie primers. That is NOT factory ammo.

Notice the wierd wavy edges on the paint? Looks like it was applied with a small brush. Like one would find in a nail polish bottle.

The headstamps on 3 of the rounds say Norinco. The other one used to have a military crimp and has been swaged.

If you paid more than 15c a round you got took by an old reloader with too much time on his hands. Watch your ass since you didnt reload em yourself.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Copy that. I get the picture guys. As I said these were free and struck me as odd
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:49:02 AM EDT
[#6]

This ammo has an orange colored bullet and the very tip is blue. Cases are brass and is marked Norinco 223.

What does this designate? What is it?

I got it from a really old guy. Who lived really really really far out of town.

You could always contact him for the answer and then post it here so we all know.  :)

Keith
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Ask the old dude why the heck he painted them.  Does it kill zombies easier?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:24:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Im not sure contacting him will help. Hes looked to be in his 80s. Very nice guy dont get me wrong, but he couldnt keep most of his facts straight on the stuff i had originally came to buy off him.

I got that .223 ammo and some other goodies from a large grocery sack he had in the garage that was going into a garage sale.

I guess i will chalk it up to mystery fruit... or i can wait until i get my bull barrel done and try these out first in it
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 3:29:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Im not sure contacting him will help. Hes looked to be in his 80s. Very nice guy dont get me wrong, but he couldnt keep most of his facts straight on the stuff i had originally came to buy off him.

I got that .223 ammo and some other goodies from a large grocery sack he had in the garage that was going into a garage sale.

I guess i will chalk it up to mystery fruit... or i can wait until i get my bull barrel done and try these out first in it

I wouldn't shoot those using my friends rifle and his trigger finger.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#10]
me either. im going pull the bullets and dissect one and then see what type of mystery powder is inside.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like a soft point that he stuck some orange paint on.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top