Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2007 8:57:06 AM EDT
I just want to first say that nobody was hurt today and luckily everybody had proper eye protection.

My nephew finally got some trigger time on the .40 and went through two magazines with no issues. He set the weapon down and a friend of mine picked it up. He loaded the magazine, dropped the charging handle "tried" to fire but the first round blew the Surefire handguard (with light)off the front of the weapon. He immediately checked his hands/fingers and made sure there was no shrapnel. When he said that my weapon blew up I thought he was joking until I noticed the Surefire hanging.

We were using Winchester white box and I have never had any issues with this ammo after several thousand rounds.

Thank the Lord that the squib must have been located toward the muzzle and not near the chamber where it may have injured my friend's hand.

On positive note, the cocking tube, bolt assembly and operating rod all appear to be OK.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#1]
dam glad ur friend is okie
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#2]

I'm glad nobody was hurt.  You should call Winchester about it.

Link Posted: 9/4/2007 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Glad no one was seriously hurt.

Poor MP5
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn Man, Glad your friend is allright. Could have been a lot worse.
I have a pile of this ammo, Keep us posted on what Winchester says. Do you have a lot # on the Ammo?
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#5]
that sucks.  I always wanted a MP5.

I still do.
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Ron, did the 2nd bullet also lodge in the barrel or push the squib round out? From your description, it sounds like your nephew's last shot was the squib. Sometimes luck is better than skill... I'm glad no one was injured!  
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 12:19:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Ooooh that left a mark.  

I have shot up a metric ton of this stuff.  Nary an issue.  

I have had other issues with some Winchester shotshells...nothing as spectacular as your issue, and that took REAL GOOD care of me.  

I suspect that you will be made whole, if past performance is any indicator of future behavior.  Contact them and have the LOT Numbers handy.  

Good luck and be sure to post the final results.
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish I could say that I had the lot numbers but I have about 50K rounds of various calibers so I just buy a huge lot at a time and have the kids dump them in "fat" .50 cans for me. I must have bought this ammo about a year ago and the lot numbers are long gone.

From this point forward I do plan on keeping all the commercial ammo boxed until using it. I don't plan on seeking any repair costs to the firearm because I don't have the lot/box available and can't even prove that I was using Winchester ammunition. It should have been my responsibility to keep that information and consider this a GREAT learning lesson. My nephew now knows to check weapons before use and not just assume that a weapon is clear. He also learned about what can happen there is a squib round. My friend who is a avid shooter was very thankful that he didn't forget his eye protection and he too will no just assume a weapon is clear.

I am thankful that nobody was injured and we are still able to go shooting again

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 1:33:01 PM EDT
[#9]
good to hear that everybody is ok.... hope winchester makes it up to ya
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I wish I could say that I had the lot numbers but I have about 50K rounds of various calibers so I just buy a huge lot at a time and have the kids dump them in "fat" .50 cans for me. I must have bought this ammo about a year ago and the lot numbers are long gone.

From this point forward I do plan on keeping all the commercial ammo boxed until using it. I don't plan on seeking any repair costs to the firearm because I don't have the lot/box available and can't even prove that I was using Winchester ammunition. It should have been my responsibility to keep that information and consider this a GREAT learning lesson. My nephew now knows to check weapons before use and not just assume that a weapon is clear. He also learned about what can happen there is a squib round. My friend who is a avid shooter was very thankful that he didn't forget his eye protection and he too will no just assume a weapon is clear.

I am thankful that nobody was injured and we are still able to go shooting again

thanks,
Ron

I am sure they can tell if that is their round in your tube.
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Ron: Sorry to hear about this. Sure glad no one was injured (well, I'm sure your pride took a nose dive when you saw your MP ---- man, now THAT hurts!).

I would suggest that you still contact Winchester and present them with the facts (and pictures) as you know them. They may still present you with some sort of a reimbursement offer, you never know. Nothing ventured is nothing gained my friend.

Bear
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
From this point forward I do plan on keeping all the commercial ammo boxed until using it.  

Good idea.  Too late for stuff I have already put on strippers.  Even tearing off the lot number from a box and putting it with the bandoleers would be a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

thanks,
Ron
Good idea about keep factory in the box. I would've never given it a 2nd thought.  And you're right, always check to be sure your gun is free of barrel obstructions.  I once had a squib handload, and someone interrupted me while I was in the process of clearing it , and it never got clear; when I got back to shooting, my next shot shoot out 2 bullets, luckily I my loads aren't strong, and there was no damage to my gun/barrel.

Thanks for the warning, that was an expensive lesson.
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Was your nephew firing on full auto and just happened to let off the trigger with the final round being the squib?

Or did he just not notice the near lack of recoil, the different sound, and the fact that nothing hit his target?  I don't mean that to be as assholish as it sounds. Stuff happens, especially with a firearm that you aren't familiar with. After a few hundred or thousandrounds you know what feels right, but if that was the first couple mags he'd ever fired through it, he might not have noticed a difference.
I'm a bit leary of full auto for just this reason.  Even if I did notice those warning signs, I might have held the trigger down just a fraction of a second too long, and boom.
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 4:42:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Was your nephew firing on full auto and just happened to let off the trigger with the final round being the squib?

It just happened to be his last round. Because he has never fired a subgun before he didn't know what to expect or what to feel. Had I or my friend been firing the weapon I am pretty sure we would have noticed. After firing any weapon for awhile you become used to what's right and what's wrong. I picked up some factory reloads one time from a gunstore and knew right away that something was funny about the ammo. It just didn't feel right. When I purchased the ammunition I thought it was milsurp just loose packed until I got home. I learned my lesson with buying ammo from them. I gave the ammo away to somebody who was going to pull it down and use it for components.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 9/5/2007 1:23:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Dang, that sucks Ron! But, at least no one was hurt.

I've never had a squib with WWB, and I've shot tens of thousands of rounds...don't think it's a systemic problem with them.

I'm sure they'll take care of you tho. I had a Winchester .308 round blow up a Contender and they made it right with me.
Link Posted: 9/5/2007 3:54:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Ron: Sorry to hear about this. Sure glad no one was injured (well, I'm sure your pride took a nose dive when you saw your MP ---- man, now THAT hurts!).

I would suggest that you still contact Winchester and present them with the facts (and pictures) as you know them. They may still present you with some sort of a reimbursement offer, you never know. Nothing ventured is nothing gained my friend.

Bear

+1

Call them anyway.  More flies with honey and all that....

They are an excellent company to deal with.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2007 4:28:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Glad no one was hurt.

Was your neph so inexperienced he could not identify a squib?

Damn. Just damn....

Good luck getting it repaired.
Link Posted: 9/5/2007 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Glad everyone is okay!!  H&K's are very robust weapons.  Swap the barrel and tripple tree, check headspace and I bet she'll be fine....
Link Posted: 9/5/2007 11:13:05 AM EDT
[#20]

it hurt when i busted up a fifteen *hundred* dollar weapon. i'm glad it didn't happen to me on a fifteen *thousand* dollar one...

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top