Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2007 5:24:34 PM EDT
Project: Shootin' Saturday

Last week a few friends and I decided that we would try to make the best use of what was going to be an unusually nice Saturday here in Oregon in the middle of February. We had been wanting to do a get together and do some ammo testing for a few things. It seemed like the perfect time. We kinda passed around the idea to try and formalize this and maybe share it with the community. I'm positive that people have done this and have some of the data around here, but we wanted to have the data in one place. Also so ammo could be compared to each other on a even basis.

Basicly a few gun geeks got bored and wanted something to do.  

Tango Foxtrot

-RotorDemon- and myself. I'm the one with GLASSES.

Ew Ew....... a .22 with heads up display, cool.

Writer's Cramp............ Ouch!

Well, late Saturday as the chrono was failing in the fading light, we had a slight mishap. We were trying to get the chrono to pick up the shots a little too close.    OOppss, DON'T try this at home.

The hunter with his trophy.

Well, TF glued back together his sensor in a hope we could get some more testing done on Sunday. After we all met up at the range we discovered that it didn't work. Well luckily we ran into a fellow ARFCOMMER there....... Fidel. His response was "Hey, I have one in the car".  Lucky for us we could continue.  

Back to the testing.......

As was mentioned above, we plan on continuing to do testing with whatever ammo we can get our hands on as well as barrel lengths. I know that I want to do testing with the 9mm carbine and different buffer weights as well as some subsonic reloads. NoAim wanted to find out if indeed the difference between barrel lengths of a pistol and rifle really did have an effect on 45ACP. I know I am going to be purchasing some more subsonic 9mm to try.

We might even add other people's data into the master sheet if they send it to us so that we can share it.

This is the complete spreadsheet of all the data we have so far. The front sheet is the complete data that has some autofilters while each other sheet contains the data for each caliber. It is easier to make charts with these. Feel free to share and make charts and post them if you like. The more input the better.

Please be aware that some averages are compiled from only a few shots as we ran out of ammo. We will attempt to redo these at a future date. To make it easier to view the front page, the columns containing the individual rounds was hidden. You can unhide these by selecting Format/Column/Unhide

Here it is the Meat and Potatoes.

Complete Spreadsheet including individual bullet velocities:
Download Ammo_Testing_Data_2_21_07.xls

This is a copy of the front sheet. Velocities for individual rounds is not shown.

PDF of the front sheet:
Download Ammo_Testing_Data_2_21_07.pdf

NoAim, Tango Foxtrot, -RotorDemon- and myself. Also a thanks to Fidel.

BTW, We have several new chronos on the way.

We welcome all comments on the data and format.

Edit:
This is the form I created to record the data on. Use it if you like.
Download Chrono_Data_Sheet_Forms_rev1.xls
Download Chrono_Data_Sheet_Forms_rev1.pdf

Link Posted: 2/21/2007 8:06:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Great Job! Looks like y'all had a great time out at the range and managed to be productive too.

I love it when members contribute to the community and help out. Your efforts are appreciated. It's what makes these forums fun to read.

Keep up the great work.

BTW: Great excel work, how's the computer wiz in charge of the spread sheet work?
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I do (and probably Nox) plan to keep adding to this to form a giant list of Chrono data.

Oh and the Excel tricks....well, let's just say they're easier than you think.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 8:16:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep....

I've always wanted an Oehler chrony but missed my opportunity.

Back when I was shopping for one I was ALWAYS hesitant to buy anything named "Shooting Chrony"...

That's just tempting fate if you ask me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 10:06:13 PM EDT
[#4]
We found that we liked the "Shooting Chrony" better than the Oehler. While it was blue sky and sunny on Saturday it was overcast on Sunday. We used the shooting chrony without any shields or whatever they're called and it read with a great deal less sunlight than the Oehler did. We have two of the "Shotting Chronys" on there way as well as replacement parts for the first one. TF even had the inferred kit for it, but the batteries were dead.  

Yep, it's kind of a goal to try and work our way through a bunch of calibers. We decided to start cheap. Actually we had alot of questions about .22s and being subsonic as well as a few others.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 6:36:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yep....

Back when I was shopping for one I was ALWAYS hesitant to buy anything named "Shooting Chrony"...

FYI, I was the guy who shot the chrono.

It IS fitting that the guy with "NoAim" as the user ID shot the damn thing.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 6:48:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
We found that we liked the "Shooting Chrony" better than the Oehler. While it was blue sky and sunny on Saturday it was overcast on Sunday. We used the shooting chrony without any shields or whatever they're called and it read with a great deal less sunlight than the Oehler did. We have two of the "Shotting Chronys" on there way as well as replacement parts for the first one. TF even had the inferred kit for it, but the batteries were dead.  

Yep, it's kind of a goal to try and work our way through a bunch of calibers. We decided to start cheap. Actually we had alot of questions about .22s and being subsonic as well as a few others.

Actually, the sky screens work better when there is a difuse light source above them.  Clouds create a better light source than blue sky.  Blue sky is actually quite dark, to the sensor.  This is why you need to use the plastic diffuser strips in bright sunlight.

Dave.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Any more feedback guys?

Link Posted: 4/14/2007 6:56:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yep....

FYI, I was the guy who shot the chrono.

It IS fitting that the guy with "NoAim" as the user ID shot the damn thing.

Guess your still not on the paper....

YET!

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top