User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/2/2006 2:10:13 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I love when a mfr. has the sense to package M16 ammo into units of 30(!) like it should be IMO. The only other mil stuff I've seen that does this is I.M.I. in their brown box M193 and M855.

Don't forget South African!
Link Posted: 5/2/2006 3:45:56 AM EDT
[#2]
After reading all six pages, I decided to roll the dice.

Bomber
Link Posted: 5/2/2006 4:08:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Bomber

I ehard they had it at the Dulles show for same price, did you go?
Link Posted: 5/2/2006 5:30:57 AM EDT
[#4]
tag for updates.  Sounds like it's a decent deal on 5.56!
Link Posted: 5/2/2006 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bomber

No I was out of town so I missed it. I'll post pics when I get it. How long did it take for you?

Bomber
Link Posted: 5/2/2006 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bomber

It was $260 a case, so about the same with shipping....
Link Posted: 5/3/2006 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Bump this because I got my case in today and will let everyone know the Condition. I have camo battle pack and lot#4 Year 90. So far everything looks mint condition.
Link Posted: 5/3/2006 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought two battle packs and it all looked great (I plan to shoot it, so I didn't leave it in the plastic packages)  I'd buy more.
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#9]
I just ordered a case (1,440 rds).  I'll report back with my findings.  If all goes well, I'm in for another case next month.  Spending too much on guns this month already.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2006 1:14:53 PM EDT
[#10]
If I knew I wouldn't get a case full of bug turds I'd like to order several cases. I only ordered one, I spent to much on GAS already this month.
Link Posted: 5/5/2006 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got my case today! heesy
The ammo looks good, not super shiny but clean.
I'll order some more when I get more funds. I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Update: Opened the rest of my battlepacks (one was lot #11) and about 1/3 have black bullets, spots of  discoloration. But for the price I'm going to shoot it all anyway.
Link Posted: 5/5/2006 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I bought 3 cases.

Lot 9/93: 100% pristine
Lot 8/91: 100% pristine
Lot 12/90: 1000 rounds tarnished, 140 rounds slightly corroded, 300 rounds significantly corroded

Shot the slightly corroded stuff and it all went bang and was as accurate as would be expected.

Called AimSurplus they are sending one battlepack to replace the seriously corroded rounds.

With that kind of CS I ordered another case.  With the dearth of milspec ammo around here I only wish I had unlimited funds to buy ten more cases.  All of mine have been removed from their packaging and gone into ammo cans.

Seydou

Yeah, I had the same issues as your Lot 12/90...mine was 1/90.   Must have been a bad year  I dropped the heavily blackened stuff in my tumbler for about 3 hours with Lizzard Litter (Walnut media).   Returned most of the brass somewhat shiny condition, although the bullets were still  discolored.

Anyhow, went out and shot through the 340 rounds of dirty stuff and it all functioned flawlessly.  Second case should be arriving today.  

My ar`s love TARNISHED ammo and shoots it the same as Q3131
Link Posted: 5/6/2006 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#13]
anyone shot the Guat from Military gun supply?
Link Posted: 5/7/2006 7:15:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Holy Crap you guys can make a man (more) paranoid. Just picked up a couple of battle packs of it (lot #4) "84" headstamp at the gun show. Still sealed in long, green MRE type plastic. Cracked it open and the stuff looks pretty darn good. Even picked up the dealers card so I can get more of itMark
Link Posted: 5/8/2006 10:33:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm a happy camper!

I shot six or seven mags of my Guat 5.56 (see earlier post in this thread) Saturday and Sunday.  

I love this stuff.

Scored a 10-shot 4" group at 100 yards with an EOTech sight on my Rock River M4gery poorly supported.  Contrast with a 2.5" 3-shot groups with XM193 at the same range earlier in the week with excellent support.

I'm extremely happy.  This stuff looks nicer than XM193, shoots at the same point of impact as XM193 and seems just as accurate with my rifle.

I discovered last Monday that my S&B stuff shot 3" low and right in my rifle from what my XM193 and Ultramax remanufactured ammo shot.  Very frustrating at first after one has just spent an hour sighting in two sights and then it seems like something has shaken loose.  Come to find out it was the ammo!

Guatemalen ammo is good shit even if I can't spell it.

John
Link Posted: 5/8/2006 3:24:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Ordered one bp to test out, had a problem with the ordering system. Talked to Steve about it, and he seemed to straighten it out, can't wait to get it!  More might be on the way if this is decentl
Link Posted: 5/8/2006 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Got my shipment notice today.  Can't wait for my ammo to arrive.
Link Posted: 5/11/2006 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is the low down on the case I received.

The lot was 7/87. The crate, battlepacks and boxes all matched.

There was no signs of insect or water damage

I sorted through every round and removed those with any blemish what so ever.

143 had blemishes (10%). Most of the blemishes were very minor. Some were a little worse but none looked unsafe. I have them in the tumbler right now .

The balance of the ammo looked just like the Federalli XM193 I've been hording.

Next....range report.

Bomber
Link Posted: 5/11/2006 5:46:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I just got more in.  Lot 8 stuff looks pristine. Off to the ammo cans it goes.
Link Posted: 5/12/2006 3:43:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Going though all the rounds now.  It seems like one side of the battle pack will be fine and the other part is well, not so fine.  Getting a lot of corroded rounds now, though instead of ammo cans they will go into temp. storage and will be shot at the next trip to the range.
Link Posted: 5/12/2006 12:34:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Received my bp today.  Lot 9, 98 headstamp..I think, all look perfect!
EDIT- Upon further review, it is headstamped IMG 98
Link Posted: 5/12/2006 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Just recieved my case from AIM today. Went through every round and did have some with minor blems on them. They all cleaned up with a little cleaning pad so all went into ammo cans for storage. Have not had a chance to shoot any yet so will have to wait and see on that point. Due to forest restrictions I haven't even had a chance to fire one round through my new Stag M4 Lefty. I'm hoping for some rains so thay will lossen up on the restrictions a little. My trigger finger sure is getting itchyhug.gif
Link Posted: 5/12/2006 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Went and bought a battlepack today. Lot 5 june of 89. It was all nice and shiny, good looking ammo! There was one box where the bullets were slightly discolored, but it didnt look like corosion. We will see how it shoots tommorow.
Link Posted: 5/12/2006 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Lot 4 year 90 a few bad spots but otherwise flawless.. I am going to order another case from AIM.
Link Posted: 5/14/2006 10:20:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Case arrived.  

Battlepacks 1-2:  lot 6, year 1988
Battlepack 3:  lot 8, year 1988
Battlepack 4:  lot 1, year 1995

First, here is the Bushie

Second, photos of the battlepacks

The cardboard packaging of Battlepack #4 (lot 1, 1995) seems to indicate some water damage.  The first cardboard pack was very "loose" and felt like it had been soaked, and then subsequently dried.

I have not had a chance to sort through all the ammo yet but from looking at the lot 6, 1988 battlepack, things are pretty good.  I only saw 4-5 rounds with any cosmetic damage out of 60-90 rounds so far.

I will post more pics of corroded rounds (if I find any) after I go through the ammo in more detail.

Will be hitting the range this weekend so will report back after firing the stuff.

Justin
Link Posted: 5/14/2006 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Just got my third case, lot 7-88.  All four battlepacks look great.  I'll be ordering more next month, so long as this stuff lasts.
Link Posted: 5/15/2006 9:03:39 AM EDT
[#27]
My second case arrived Thursday while I was at work.  Cursory inspection found "camo" flavored battlepacks before I left for Mississippi very early Friday...  I'll look them over a little more carefully tonight.

My cursory look found one battlepack was cut open.  The ammo didn't appear quite as bright and shiny as the first ones (see pics earlier in this thread).  However, there was no evidence of bugs whatsoever.

John
Link Posted: 5/15/2006 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I bought 3 cases.

Lot 9/93: 100% pristine
Lot 8/91: 100% pristine
Lot 12/90: 1000 rounds tarnished, 140 rounds slightly corroded, 300 rounds significantly corroded

Shot the slightly corroded stuff and it all went bang and was as accurate as would be expected.

Called AimSurplus they are sending one battlepack to replace the seriously corroded rounds.

With that kind of CS I ordered another case.  With the dearth of milspec ammo around here I only wish I had unlimited funds to buy ten more cases.  All of mine have been removed from their packaging and gone into ammo cans.

Seydou

Yeah, I had the same issues as your Lot 12/90...mine was 1/90.   Must have been a bad year  I dropped the heavily blackened stuff in my tumbler for about 3 hours with Lizzard Litter (Walnut media).   Returned most of the brass somewhat shiny condition, although the bullets were still  discolored.

Anyhow, went out and shot through the 340 rounds of dirty stuff and it all functioned flawlessly.  Second case should be arriving today.  

My ar`s love TARNISHED ammo and shoots it the same as Q3131

Gotta agree with you.  Evil black bullets to go with my Evil Black Rifle.  NINJA BULLETS
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Looked over my new Guat from AIM last night.

I believe it was "Lote 4" from 1989.

I found no evidence of bugs in these.  One was cut open.  I checked carefully and found only an semi-slimy stuff on the exterior of the cardboard boxes and on the surface of the battle pack.

I left the other three packs intact as they seemed air tight.

The ammo wasn't as pretty as the first batch (the primer sealant was black instead of that pretty green), but it was 99% as nice and shiny with no signs of corrosion or anything else funky.

It was beautiful.

I'll probably take a mag or two of it to the range this weekend to verify that it shoots to the same point of impact as XM193 and the first batch of the Guat I got.  Other than that, I hope it never sees the light of day for a long time.

Or if it does, that its flight is true and its impact "hurts".

John
Link Posted: 5/17/2006 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Previous update:  

Lot 6, 1988 some minor corrosion
Lot 8, 1988 major corrosion, almost all rounds
Lot 1, 1995 no problems at all

Pic of Lot 1, 1995.  Almost perfect.

Pics of Lot 8, 1988.   This stuff is seriously corroded.

Link Posted: 5/18/2006 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#31]
I am ordering another case tomorrow. I will see if they let me choose which lots i want. So far Lot 1 Year 95 looks like the best I have seen.
Link Posted: 5/21/2006 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Update: I went to the range and fired all of the seriously corroded ammo.  It all went bang, no issues at all.

Also went through some Lot 6, 1988 and Lot 1, 1995.  No problems.

Again, if not for the cosmetics of Lot 8, 1988, the case would have been perfect (in my view).

I'd order this stuff again.
Link Posted: 5/21/2006 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#33]
After looking at my OLD targets

I had LOTE: 9 wich I would love more of

bad thing I didnt write down the date on my target
Link Posted: 5/25/2006 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Put in an order for another case.  Let's hope I have better luck this time.
Link Posted: 5/25/2006 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Just received 2 more battlepacks from AIM. 1990 lot 7. Opened both and all are perfect. Neither battle pack was cut open. Oh yes, I will order more.

Mark
Link Posted: 5/25/2006 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Update: I went to the range and fired all of the seriously corroded ammo.  It all went bang, no issues at all.

Again, if not for the cosmetics of Lot 8, 1988, the case would have been perfect (in my view).

I decided to shoot the corroded stuff as well - even corroded, the rounds went bang everytime with no issues...

Spooky
Link Posted: 5/25/2006 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I decided to shoot the corroded stuff as well - even corroded, the rounds went bang everytime with no issues...

Spooky

I highly recomend only NATO certified (stamped)  surplus ammo be used (none south of the US border).
Most people here don't remember the 7.62 (.308) issue in the mid-90's. Greek surplus falls in the same category.
Link Posted: 5/25/2006 9:46:53 PM EDT
[#38]
I got an early case of the stuff which was great. I have 3 more crates inbound. If its as good as it should be I will try for 2 more next month.
Mark my words, in a year or so this will be the one that got away like the SA tubs. I still have one of those untouched too and one in 308.
Link Posted: 5/26/2006 6:49:01 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I highly recomend only NATO certified (stamped)  surplus ammo be used (none south of the US border).
Most people here don't remember the 7.62 (.308) issue in the mid-90's. Greek surplus falls in the same category.

Not sure I understand you ... my Lot 1, 1995 stuff is NATO-stamped (with the circle and cross) unless you are saying avoid all ammo from south of the border, NATO-stamped or not?
Link Posted: 5/26/2006 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spooky

More for me!  The first case I got '84 lot 7  had a VERY few rounds with some minor tarnish for lack of a better word from touching the cardboard.
If the 3 crates I have in the ups system are good Im going to buy another 2 crates next month, and so on and so on.
Seems to me people were leary of whats now one of the prized and sought after sources, S African. Myself as well initially but I got over it pretty quick and have one tub still unopened.
Todays guat may be tomorrows SA, I think it will be IMO.
Link Posted: 5/26/2006 8:33:58 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
More for me!  The first case I got '84 lot 7  had a VERY few rounds with some minor tarnish for lack of a better word from touching the cardboard.
If the 3 crates I have in the ups system are good Im going to buy another 2 crates next month, and so on and so on.
Seems to me people were leary of whats now one of the prized and sought after sources, S African. Myself as well initially but I got over it pretty quick and have one tub still unopened.

Yeah I wish I had bought more of the SA stuff myself.  I bought a few battlepacks but that was it.  

Today, all I have left of the SA are two 30rd boxes.  

Link Posted: 5/26/2006 9:00:53 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I wish I had bought more of the SA stuff myself.  I bought a few battlepacks but that was it.  

Today, all I have left of the SA are two 20rd boxes.  

i33.photobucket.com/albums/d93/huangover/Miscellaneous/117_1702Small.jpg

I'm down to 3600 rounds of it and I'm just sitting on it. I'd use it in a SHTF situation ANYDAY. I never had one problem with this ammo, other then it ran out.
Link Posted: 5/26/2006 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Nothing special about SA ammo.  Just another surplus that became available and now it is gone.

I would rather have the  original IMI or Q3131A to store and have done.

The Guatemala, Radway Green, and the Southern Ammo is just as good shooting ammo that is currently available until those disappear.  My left over SA is still being disposed as cheap surplus down range.  Infact, it is the only ammo that gave us any issues of not functioning as well out of all the M16's/Ar15's in the above mentioned.  In fact the Wolf  functioned as well in Laquer without any hick up.  The Aug's and G36's were used to dispose the SA as well as the Daewoo and Galil so it was not returned to AIM for exchage at the time.

When all other ammo functioned good then we just accepted the fact the some ammo might not work as well for some people due to many variations.  Maybe with may other changes to the M16/AR configurations that have now been done, it might work now on them.

The only other Ammo I regrated not buying as much is malaysian.

Link Posted: 5/26/2006 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Nothing special about SA ammo.  Just another surplus that became available and now it is gone.

The Guatemala, Radway Green, and the Southern Ammo is just as good shooting ammo that is currently available until those disappear.  My left over SA is still being disposed as cheap surplus down range.  Infact, it is the only ammo that gave us any issues of not functioning as well out of all the M16's/Ar15's in the above mentioned.  In fact the Wolf  functioned as well in Laquer without any hick up.  The Aug's and G36's were used to dispose the SA as well as the Daewoo and Galil so it was not returned to AIM for exchage at the time.

When all other ammo functioned good then we just accepted the fact the some ammo might not work as well for some people due to many variations.  Maybe with may other changes to the M16/AR configurations that have now been done, it might work now on them.

I think that while there is nothing "special" about SA, thats not necessarily a bad thing either. Its consistant and I know that every battle pack opened will be as good as any ammo out there. I do have a case of the original brown box IMI as well and a couple cases of white box Q3131A that I will save before the SA but I cant say its actually better.
Link Posted: 5/26/2006 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Here is my info on the 3 crates I ordered Wed and have on my doorstep Friday afternoon. I am only a couple hundred miles away from AIM though.
Anyway,
crate one is '90 lot 5  all OK, not shiney but fine. Cammo Battle packs.

crate two is '91 lot 1 and the first BP was superb, shiney and looked good. However the other 3 had about 25% with some minor tarnish and about a half dozen rounds had some very minor corrosion. I will shoot it all and the 3 questionable BP's I took all of the ammo out of the boxes and dumped it into a 50 cal can, level full. This is what  I will be shooting first. The sealer was very dark as well. I didnt see any rounds that I wouldnt shoot. I need to look at them closer in better light. The BP's material was somewhat hard and one had a one inch split in it.

crate three is '91 lot 8 and its all beautifull. I didnt even open up the last two BP's cause the vinayl BP was soft and pliable. Like good SA ammo.  Bright shiney and nice green sealer. Looks as good as anything from LCity.
Ill buy more in a month or so when I can free up some coin.
Thats 4 total crates for me including the one I got last month thats tip top.
Link Posted: 5/27/2006 4:38:30 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

s

It was not special but it always worked for me and never gave me a lick of problem. It is, for ME, some of the best surplus that ever made it onto the market at a decent price. I don't think I ever found one round that had a problem and the battle pack design is still better then anything else I have seen. Easy to open, excellent plastic that, even years later, is soft and pliable.

Accuracy is not great but it is perfectly acceptable, besides, I'll give up a bit of accuracy every day for reliability.

If some hit the market at a fair price today, there would be a frenzy of buying activity and I'd lead the way with about 20K.
Link Posted: 5/27/2006 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Second case this time around it was Lot 2 Year 97. And must I say it MONEY!!!! Not a single bad round all pretty and shiny. Thanks AIM. Now I have to get a couple of cans of Radway Green.
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#48]
I just ordered 2 battlepacks of the Guat from Aim.
I guess by the weekend I'll see what I get. The guys at Aim are great folks, been doing business with them for about four years, never dissapointed. If any of mine are ugly I'll just tumble them till they get clean.
Started to buy a case but chickened out.

Elvis
Link Posted: 6/9/2006 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Just received two crates from AIM and have to say I was very pleased. I have lot 6-84 and lot 6-87 and everything I have opened has been bright and shiny. It's in better shape than the last two cases of XM193 I have received. Also looks as good as the last case of Q3131 I received. If this stuff shoots as good as it looks, I will be ordering at least two more crates.
Link Posted: 6/11/2006 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#50]
One crate of 1986 Lot 11, two battle packs opened with all bright and shiny. Can't wait to fire some. Thanks AIM!

I mean---THIS STUFF SUCKS---don't waste your money on it.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top