Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/23/2006 1:06:45 AM EDT
Does anyone know a source for explodeing bullets, not tracers, or incendiarys but actual HE, I know there uncommon but I know they made them like for the 7.62x54r for example with the Shkas bullet, so does anyone know a source for explodeing bullets in any caliber?....  It would make an interesting collectable....
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:39:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:54:46 AM EDT
[#2]
In anyting under a .50 cal, replacing lead with an explosive chemical mix will reduce the energy available to the target. A good frangible bullet will do more damage than an explosive bullet.

....and yea, I think they are a bit less than legal.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:07:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:57:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Locked for now due to possible illegality of explosive ammo. I can unlock this if someone can provide me with proof that this is OK to own.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I was informed that these are OK up to about 50BMG as long as the explosive charge doesn't exceed a certain weight, which it's bound not to in a .30cal
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:38:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:25:13 AM EDT
[#7]
As I mentioned in a previous thread, I have five rounds each of 308 and 357 with explosive bullets.  Make me an offer.

As for the source, they were manufactured by a very small company (one employee?) that has since faded away.  I am not aware of any source of currently manufactured explosive ammunition.  Pretty gimmicky stuff.  Looks really cool being shot at a pot roast (flesh flies everywhere), but quite unspectacular on other things.  Probably would do less damage on a cinderblock than an ordinary FMJ.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
As I mentioned in a previous thread, I have five rounds each of 308 and 357 with explosive bullets.  Make me an offer.

As for the source, they were manufactured by a very small company (one employee?) that has since faded away.  I am not aware of any source of currently manufactured explosive ammunition.  Pretty gimmicky stuff.  Looks really cool being shot at a pot roast (flesh flies everywhere), but quite unspectacular on other things.  Probably would do less damage on a cinderblock than an ordinary FMJ.

Isnt this Lemas
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:45:42 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't neccessarily mean just new production surplus works to....
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Not sure what you have in mind, but HE rounds for small arms are not readily available for many reasons.  The first of which is how to keep it from blowing up in the bore? HE rounds are not designed by idiots and those that are usually have a brief and brutal explanation of the Darwin effect.

RE: The Shkas rounds. These were specifically designed for use in a machine gun and were not safe to fire in a bolt gun.
To quote from the text on this stuff
www.mosinnagant.net/r2ssia.asp
A devastating exploding bullet was invented by the Russians in the late 1930's. Called the type ZP, it differed from a common incendiary bullet as it contained PETN high explosive and a detonater. These bullets were quite complex, housing a firing pin and drop safety device as well. They have a red tip. The majority that are found today are ShKas machine gun rounds, unsafe for use in bolt action rifles.
Some efforts were made several years ago by a US manufacturer which basically had a cartridge primer seated in the nose of the bullet.  No bore safety, nothing.  Their absence from the market today probably indicates things didn't work out. No market interest and several states ban them even if FED regs don't. Lack of sales plus production cost couldn't pay for the legal expenses from their use.  Hell, it's bad enough today to even have or use "regular" hollow points.  Obviously, you don't remember the hysteria a few years back over the dreaded "Black Talon" flesh shredding petals of death?

Why do some folks go out of their way to stir up shit?

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:47:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm not stirring anything up I am just wondering if there are any sources available, the real explosive bullets were actually quite intricate with fairly complex fuses in the nose sort of like miniature artilery shells, not just a primer someone stuck in the tip, the real ones ideally didn't arm themselves untill they were well down range....

I emphasized HE because usually when someone talks about "explodeing bullets" there actually talking about tracers, incendiarys, or stuff like that not actually explodeing bullets, so I empasized HE....

I actually know of someone from another forum that shot some Shkas rounds out of his Mosin Nagant, he didn't know what they were at the time, just thought it was interesting that the rocks he was shooting were blowing up, later when he cleaned the rifle he found that he no longer had any rifleing, it was only later that he found out that he had Shkas rounds
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#12]
The only info I could recall was about ranging ammo for machine guns, but damn if those russians were not into stuffing alot of stuff into a 7.62x54r.

Armour Piercing Incendiary Tracer Type BZT. This was a flat based bullet, 40.7 mm. long, identified by purple over red bullet tip. Weight was 142 grains. Within the envelope was a short steel core, forward of which was incendiary composition and behind which was a tracer canister
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I read on an online bullet collectors site that exploding bullets were used by the military to "mark" a target, sort of like smoke or a laser.....does anyone know if this is true. I can't find the link/site...and I've learned that one can't believe everything found on the internet.....

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I read on an online bullet collectors site that exploding bullets were used by the military to "mark" a target, sort of like smoke or a laser.....does anyone know if this is true. I can't find the link/site...and I've learned that one can't believe everything found on the internet.....

Yes They are called "spotter" rounds.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Super-Vel used to make true exploding bullets in the mid to late 70's.  I used to buy a bunch from one of the pawn shops in Augusta, Georgia for my Browning HP.  The tip was a flat primer painted yellow.  Worked great on gallon jugs of water and pine trees.  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top