Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/8/2006 12:47:54 AM EDT
Just to let you guys know, if you have a 1/9 barrel, you might want to upgrade your barrel to 1/7 twist if you want to shoot this ammo. I shot this out of my Bushmaster M4gery with 1/9 barrel and it's keyholeing the target. Bring my Colt with 1/7 barrel and it shot fine. Pulled one bullet and found that this 50gr bullet is actually longer then the SS109.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just to let you guys know, if you have a 1/9 barrel, you might want to upgrade your barrel to 1/7 twist if you want to shoot this ammo. I shot this out of my Bushmaster M4gery with 1/9 barrel and it's keyholeing the target. Bring my Colt with 1/7 barrel and it shot fine. Pulled one bullet and found that this 50gr bullet is actually longer then the SS109.

Very interesting.  Got pics by any chance?  

-K
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#2]
That is good info, thanks...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:26:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Sure, here's the picture. The one on the left is standard 55gr FMJ bullet, the one on the right is the 50gr frangible bullet. As you can see, the frangible bullet actually is about as long as the M856 tracer projectile (check out ammo-oracle), and it's certainly longer then the SS109 bullet (sorry, don't have one at hand to take a picture).
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:05:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Hi CW,
    Great, very timely info! I picked up a case of this ammo and was waiting until after the deer season ended to go test for accuracy. My most accurate rifle is a Bushy Varminter with a 24" 1x9 bbl. and none of my Colt 1x7 uppers are scoped. So I am SOL for now. Let us know how it tests for accuracy in your Colt 1x7.
    I tested this bullet for integrity on pine 2X4s with a 10" 1x7 Colt M4  and it did not blow up; just pencil sized hole in and out. I thought it might come apart a lot more easily. Might have been due to the lower velocity from the 10" barrel. I will try again with a 14.5" 1x7 Colt M4A1.
                                                           Thanks for the info,
                                                            Carey

Edit: More specific info on velocity/barrel length.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool!  Thanks for the pic!

-K
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:47:56 PM EDT
[#6]
A dumb question . Would work good for steel plates? I bought some hornady bullets for this but it would be easier to buy loaded.
I have a range on two acres and worry about spraying lead back at the houses.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#7]
What barrel length?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a shitload of this I picked up at a fun show...Was going to use a 1/12...THANKS for INFO....No wonder it's on sale at ammo dealers!!!! Should I only shoot in 1/7,??? Did you weight it???? How come it's listed as 50grn. Ballistic Tip, Soft Point??? What???
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#9]
leid:

Sorry, I don't have a scope on my Colt 1/7 either, so that makes the two of us. Depends on who goes to range first, may be one of us will supply accuracy data.

Easy_E:

Stuff works wonderful on steel plate. I shoot it in 25yrd indoor range and basically find the round splat and can't find any remaining. The range uses steel plate that's rated to 1500fps, but frangible don't do any damage at all to it.

jmart:

My 1/7 barrel is 20".

BOYSCOUT4LIFE:

Sorry to hear that you got a crap load but don't have the right barrel. I am assuming the round fly out of the barrel more then 2800fps. As the length is about 1"(ETA, went home and use my digital caliper to measure, the length of the bullet is exactly 1"!), when you plug that into Greenhill formula, that come out to require an 1/8 twist; and if for some reason it come out of the shorter barrel at slower speed, say less then 2800fps, then you will definately need a 1/7 to stablize. Regardless, your 1/12 is not going to do the job. By the way, the round is frangible, contains no lead so it's not ballistic tip or soft-point.  Ammoman's link is here:

www.ammoman.com/index.htm

Click on .223 on the top on ammo caliber selection, and scroll down to find .223 FRANGIBLE U.S.G.I. If your round it not this one (i.e. regular ammo with lead core), then you may be okay.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:02:56 PM EDT
[#10]
The frangible ammo is great for indoors and stee.

There is no chance of it ever coming back to tag you
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:54:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Cool pic of the bullets!

But why on earth would you be using frangible to punch holes in paper?  It's a little pricey, and better served for CQB practice on gongs.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone had any problems with this ammo?  The reason I ask is the combat arms folks at the range on base told me that they are having all kinds of trouble with this ammo.  Pressure spikes from this ammo have damaged several of the M16's on base.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been using it on steel plates, it really whaps a hanging plate harder than fmj's.  The fmj's penetrate over halfway through 3/4" plate, and leave a crater the size of a dime, but don't really flop the plate around that much.  The frangibles give the plate the "whap" sound that a .308 soft point gives, and really gives a lot of action.  I've had zero problems, and accuracy, and POI is on par with military loads.  

Only noteworthy thing I've found, is that if you extract a chambered round, the tip will be messed up from being fed.  

Yes, it leaves a small hole in 1" pine, but if you set something up behind the pine a little ways, it'll look like it was peppered with birdshot, with another 22 caliber hole.  The base of the bullet seems to stay somewhat intact, if you dig one out of a dirt bank, you'll find a chunk of the copper composite that hasn't broke up.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Cool pic of the bullets!

But why on earth would you be using frangible to punch holes in paper?  It's a little pricey, and better served for CQB practice on gongs.

Yes, it's a bit pricy, but at indoor range where bullet trap is usually not rated for FMJ center fire rifle round, this is the only viable choice. I don't use it that often, but sometimes it beats driving 40minutes to an outdoor range.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:08:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Has anyone had any problems with this ammo?  The reason I ask is the combat arms folks at the range on base told me that they are having all kinds of trouble with this ammo.  Pressure spikes from this ammo have damaged several of the M16's on base.  

The primers are Flat as Hell after firing.  I guess they load it to be as hot as regular mil ammo.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The primers are Flat as Hell after firing.  I guess they load it to be as hot as regular mil ammo.

While they might load it as hot as regular military ammo, my observation is the primer used on this round is actually softer. When you hit the bolt release on the side of your AR-15 and load one round in the chamber, the free-floating firing pin in AR system created a deeper dimple on the frangible round then XM193, from my observation,  thus a much flatter primer after it's being fired.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:10:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I just saw this stuff seling for $10.00 per box of 20 at gun show. did'nt even list larger quanity pricing. I think ammoman has been running a sale on this for some time. Stating that when it's gone that there will be no more...At these prices, I don't want anymore...I only bought it for what it is intended for...indoor shooting, with less penitration!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#18]
CWM4A1, thanks again for picks and info I will only use in 1/7 barrels. If you had not pulled a round, I would have kept using 1/12. Now I'am worried about what was said in post about pressure spikes and damaged weapons...Still have over 1k rnds. of this item!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I punched some serious holes through a hollow core door with this stuff...tennis ball sized holes.  Was a LOT of fun.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:41:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I wonder what it would do to human beings....

TS
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I've been looking at this stuff also. What MV could one expect to get out of a 20" 1/7 bbl? Am I correct in believeing it would pose less hazard to neighbors in an urban CQB scenario. Maybe break up going through sheetrock, siding, windows, etc?

Is there another source for BC556NTI other than ammo man who sells smaller qty? I really don;t need 500 rnds

Many Thanks
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quick ?.  How do you safely pull a bullet out?  I've never reloaded or anything, but I have a round with dented brass that I didn't want to shoot.  Should I just wrap it in a towel and pliers?  TIA.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:33:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Quick ?.  How do you safely pull a bullet out?  I've never reloaded or anything, but I have a round with dented brass that I didn't want to shoot.  Should I just wrap it in a towel and pliers?  TIA.

Best bet is with a kinetic bullet puller.... looks sort of like a hammer.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:05:58 PM EDT
[#24]
An indoor range near me stocks the PMC frangible.

I have never shot it though
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:14:24 AM EDT
[#25]
PMC Frangible uses different projectile. Unlike the USGI 50gr frangible, PMC frangible is 40g bullet and does not have copper jacket. Because of this, PMC frangible will foul up your barrel faster then you can believe; and also because the bullet does not have copper jacket, I have experienced bullet break-off during feeding, causing FTF.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:16:40 AM EDT
[#26]
I did some informal research with the Federal frangible this past weekend.

I put some 1/2" plywood in front of my gong and shot it out of an 11.5" barrel.  The frangible penetrated right thru the plywood and made the standard copper spot on the gong.

So I tried 1/2" plywood on a 2" piece of lumber.  The round still penetrated completely and rang the gong.

I also shot a round on some 1/4" mild steel that I use for a pistol gong, and to my surprise the round almost penetrated the steel.  It put a whopping dent in the metal that protrudes on the back side of the gong.

I don't think this projectile is as wimpy as everyone believes.  w00t!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#27]
COOL Markm  why do guys say shit that is totaly opposite

DAMN I asked about this round a few weeks ago?

I was worried my 1/9 couldnt hang with it?

I found out my 1/9 shorty  shoots 77 just fine!

Maybe I will have to buy some?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#28]
I sure as hell would not want to get shot with the frangible.  I'd love to see what it REALLY does in Gel testing.  I bet people would be surprised.

I'm not saying it's a defense load or anything, but I bet it would leave a horrific wound.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:23:26 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I have a shitload of this I picked up at a fun show...Was going to use a 1/12...THANKS for INFO....No wonder it's on sale at ammo dealers!!!! Should I only shoot in 1/7,??? Did you weight it???? How come it's listed as 50grn. Ballistic Tip, Soft Point??? What???hr

I think I have to use frangible ammo inside Blackwater, when I go this year. I may be interested in taking some of that ammo off of your hands.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:30:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Has anyone run these across a chronograph?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:54:27 AM EDT
[#31]
sorry to bump this back up to the top - can anyone confirm that this haz zero lead content inthe projectile?

After looking at the picutres I'm assuming so since copper is so much lighter than lead.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#32]
The USGI-"type" from Federal is lead-free, except for the primer. At least that is what they've (Federal) told me. As mentioned from a previous poster, use of this cartridge is resulting in a number of KB's on Air Force Rifles and Carbines. Probably a low occurence per # rounds fired, but it is fact.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The USGI-"type" from Federal is lead-free, except for the primer. At least that is what they've (Federal) told me.

Hmmm.. on the NEWER boxes that AMMOMAN is shipping (I just got some more)  the AMMO is Designated XM556NT1.

I guess the X means it's TIER 2, and the Military rejected it right?

Sorry...  

Anyway....  The boxs says the primer is lead free.  The ammo is represented as Non Toxic, Lead free primer.  I love this stuff.  I was out blasting my gongs with it last weekend.  You can get pretty close without getting fragged!
Link Posted: 6/11/2006 9:46:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Military (I guess) packaging on the left.  XM packaging for civilian release on the right.

Link Posted: 6/11/2006 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm under the impresstion that anything sold out to civillians has to be marked XM-blah blah.

BTW, I used a bunch of the XM556NT for an urban rifle class at thunder ranch last month.  No problems shooting about 800-900 rounds in 2 days.  

50M zero was the same as with 55gr Q3131A.

Link Posted: 6/12/2006 5:54:35 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I'm under the impresstion that anything sold out to civillians has to be marked XM-blah blah.

Someone on another thread was indicating that it mean a special order or special contract run.  The BrokeBack Brigade here has themselves convinced that it's Military Rejects.

Link Posted: 7/11/2006 5:21:54 AM EDT
[#37]
I got to shoot some more of this stuff this past weekend.  I was firing some full auto bursts on a gong 10 yards out, and I was getting some sparking off of the gong.

I sure would like to Chrono and "Box-O-Truth" this ammo just for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I sure would like to Chrono and "Box-O-Truth" this ammo just for the hell of it.

I could Chrono it for you, but send a box to OP for 'box-o-truth'.

How does one send a single box of ammo?  UPS?
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 12:26:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#41]
There is a lot of misinformation and beliefs of frangible ammo.  We use many, many cases of it in our indoor range and for shoothouse work. First on soft targets it will not break up and acts like fmj.  Pressures due tend to be hotter depending on the maker due the lighter bullet weights on some (especially on handgun calibers) in order to get the power factor up for reliable function.  Some frangible rifle ammo is not jacketed.  Those type (ie international) occasionally break on feed or clearance drills.  Our rull is if it hits the ground do not attempt to reload it.  The unjacketed type tends to have a looser crimp so the bullet does not get "cracked".  So there are times that when seating the bullet comes dislodged from the case, making contact (sometimes deep contact) with the rifling (even on our Colt 5.56 chambered Commandos).  This creates over pressure or malfunctions.  When unloading there are times the bullet gets stuck to the rifling and requires a rod to clear.  Inside of 25 yards on Brinell 500 grade steel targets, the 223 frangible still leaves a slight divet upon impact.  If jacketed type bullets are used, we have had guys get jacket fragments coming back, requiring tweezers to remove from the skin inside of 15 yards.  If milder steel even up to 1/2 inch thick is used, I have seen nice through and through holes with 223 frangible at 20 yards.  Frangible would not be my choice for a self defense or urban round from our tests.  FYI and my 2 cents
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Forget to add, we have not used this particular ammo but there are numerous makers and my statements were meant to be general in nature.  Frangible has come a long way and is likely to progress more.  Clean fire lead free primers do have a limited shelf life though and even when new have a FTF rate that is unacceptable for duty use....
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
There is a lot of misinformation and beliefs of frangible ammo.  We use many, many cases of it in our indoor range and for shoothouse work. First on soft targets it will not break up and acts like fmj.  

Exactly what I'm talking about, Sailor.  I've shot this particular round thru 2X4s and plywood and it doesn't break up.  I'm thinking the Box 0 truth test will really surprise people.

Link Posted: 7/23/2006 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Wish I'd seen your post before I went and bought a 500 rd. case.  Now I have 480 rounds sitting around with no rifle to feed 'em to.  My 1/9 Bushy spits them all over the landscape at 25 yards, sideways!!  Wanna buy some????
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Wish I'd seen your post before I went and bought a 500 rd. case.  Now I have 480 rounds sitting around with no rifle to feed 'em to.  My 1/9 Bushy spits them all over the landscape at 25 yards, sideways!!  Wanna buy some????

too bad you are in GA, i'd take them off your hands...  like I said above, I used them for a class that mandated lead free and I had no problems firing it from a 1/9 bbl.

Link Posted: 7/23/2006 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

too bad you are in GA, i'd take them off your hands...  like I said above, I used them for a class that mandated lead free and I had no problems firing it from a 1/9 bbl.

Same here!  I'd love to get some more of this stuff.  I'm just too tight on cash right now dang it!
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 6:59:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Check out Box O' Truth he did test with the 50 gr. frangible ammo.

www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot4.htm
Link Posted: 7/23/2006 7:05:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Check out Box O' Truth he did test with the 50 gr. frangible ammo.

www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot4.htm

WOW!  8 boards of drywall?  I'd really like to see the water jug test however!
Link Posted: 7/26/2006 4:19:38 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Where in Ga are you?

Cody
Link Posted: 7/26/2006 8:38:44 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

BTW, I used a bunch of the XM556NT for an urban rifle class at thunder ranch last month.  No problems shooting about 800-900 rounds in 2 days.  

50M zero was the same as with 55gr Q3131A.

50 yard zero with M855 is the same as 77grSMK out to 220+yards
with M193,M855,75/77 I dont need to change zero any
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top